What's new

Netflix goes bat@#%@ insane, it's $16 a month now if you want to keep 1 DVD + streaming, $18 for 1 B (1 Viewer)

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
I wouldn't be surprised if this has more to do with the studios wanting more money.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Actually, I think they are trying to get everyone to switch to their streaming only service, eventually discontinue the DVD plans, then switch to a tiered streaming plan.

I'm currently evaluating my options, and since most DVD's and Blu-ray discs from Netflix are "Rental Only" discs, with forced trailers and no extras, I'm on the fence at this point. Amazon just offered me a renewal on my Student Prime membership, which was free the first year but did not include video streaming, and if I renew is $40 and now includes streaming. But that means keeping both the PS3 and the Panny BD60 attached to my HT setup, since the PS3 can't do Amazon, and the BD60 can't do Vudu, Hulu+, Netflix, or CinemaNow.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yep, it is definitely official and not going to change.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/07/netflix-unveils-60-price-hike-for-streaming-plus-dvd-service/

And the $18 for one BD and streaming pretty much means I'll kill the rental and just do redbox now and again. I'm up in the air on the streaming.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sam:

While I don't have Netflix myself, I passed along your link to my daughter who is a subscriber. This was her response to me:

UGH.
This sucks. The plan was $10 I think when I signed up, a few months ago it changed to $11, and now $16?! That's a HUGE jump.
I will very seriously be thinking about switching my netflix subscription now. Argh.
On the other hand, I just started a free trial of Hulu Plus...might think about switching over to that, the only downside is some shows aren't compatible with anything other than traditional online viewing (they don't have the rights to show them over the Roku, etc), so it's slightly more limiting than I'd hope.
So much to think about...
I'm surprised I haven't gotten an email from netflix yet with this information.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Bummer news for unlimited streaming/disc subscribers.

I simply don't have the time to watch many rental movies each month (thanks to two toddlers), nor do I have any interest in streaming. Last year my wife and I downgraded to the bare minimum - one DVD out at a time, max of 2 per month. The monthly rate is about $5 and so far it's been a perfect fit for our lifestyle.

I can't justify the price increase for BR with NetFlix - I have several RedBox kiosks near my home that I can use for that if need be.

I'm not terribly surprised that they are discovering that there is, in fact, still a solid market for discs in the mail. It will be a long time before the market shifts to streaming only.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Just checked my membership. I have the 3 dvd and streamimg plan and it will be going from $19.99 to $23.98. That sounds a little steep to me but still beats paying $40 plus a month for cable. I currently have "antennae" service which runs me $12 a month from comcast. I might drop the 3 dvds down to 1.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Wow. I was mulling subscribing, but not now...

Todd-
Look at the Panasonic BD110, 210 or 310. It will stream all of those services.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Yup, my plan is going from $14.99 to $19.98....not a horrible increase, and one I can fully afford, but I wonder where down the line it will change again....

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Adam Gregorich said:
Thinking further I'm suprised they don't give you a price break by susscribing to more than one service (DVD+streaming)
I agree. Prices are going to go up; that's just the reality of inflation. But this is quite a hike, and it would be nice if they'd knock a couple of dollars off for people who want to subscribe to both.

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
I guess I'm a little more indifferent to it than most people. It's a jump for sure, but I don't see it as that bad especially when compared to cable or satellite services.
However, it seems like this hullabaloo could have been avoided if they had made these the rates and plans the norm when they first introduced the streaming service. Sure, not many people would have added the service at first, but this new deal seems like backtracking. Like, "Hey here's a free extra we're gonna give you!" And then later, "Hey! Remember that free extra service, it's not free anymore!" Sorta like a close cousin of "indian giving" to coin an old phrase.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Since I mostly just seem to constantly add things to my Watch Instantly queue but never actually get around to watching any of them, I will probably downgrade to disc-only.
That said, Netflix picked a bad time to announce this because I just got a new Sony BD player that has a ton of non-Netflix streaming services available. I'm much more likely to check out the alternatives now than I would have been, say, two weeks ago.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I'm one in the camp of "not such a big deal." We have the 4 DVD + streaming + Blu-ray and our plan is only increasing by $2. Evidently the biggest increase is for the 1 DVD + streaming subscribers who are getting a $6 hike.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
September 1 is an interesting time for it to take effect; with the fall TV season starting up at that point, it makes it that much easier for me to drop Netflix.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Mark-P said:
I'm one in the camp of "not such a big deal." We have the 4 DVD + streaming + Blu-ray and our plan is only increasing by $2. Evidently the biggest increase is for the 1 DVD + streaming subscribers who are getting a $6 hike.
That doesnt sound correct

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
And I think that is what most current subscribers who actively use both services really want and are surprised that a "bundle" deal is not available.

But, if I'm reading the original post from Netflix's blog correctly, it looks like they are splitting the two services as if they were two separate companies, which would make a bundle discount a bit more difficult, at least on paper.

Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich
Thinking further I'm suprised they don't give you a price break by susscribing to more than one service (DVD+streaming)

Brisby

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Knaus
I have rarely used the streaming feature on Netflix (lacking a BR player capable of doing such), so, given a choice, I'll dump the streaming option and only keep the DVD/BR mailers. I can't give up the service entirely, as Netflix has essentially put an end to my expensive "blind-buying" phase (and good riddance).

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
My kids stream tons of programming and use that service daily (we dropped cable last year, so getting all of the Nickelodeon and Disney Channel content that Netflix streams has been wonderful). My wife and I probably only watch 2-4 movies per month from them on dvd, so we'll be dropping that part of the plan, and just use Redbox for the few times a month we rent discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks