Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Netflix goes bat@#%@ insane, it's $16 a month now if you want to keep 1 DVD + streaming, $18 for 1 Bluray out

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
346 replies to this topic

#281 of 347 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,065 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted October 03 2012 - 03:28 AM

Zero empathy is a bit of a problem, yeah: http://news.cnet.com...white-lies-q-a/

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#282 of 347 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,065 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 04:06 AM

Hrmmmm... www.wired.com/business/2012/10/amazon-isnt-really-in-the-netflix-business/

#283 of 347 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,872 posts

Posted October 10 2012 - 12:55 AM

But just because they're not in the NF business -- as in going after the exact same business w/ roughly the same model -- doesn't mean what they do won't hurt NF a whole lot though.  That analyst seems a bit shortsighted (or perhaps has some hidden agenda?).

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#284 of 347 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,065 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 06:35 AM

16 months to the day I started this thread and I just cancelled my DVD plan. Keeping the streaming for now but even that is on death watch.

#285 of 347 OFFLINE   MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific Railroad.

• 561 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted November 12 2012 - 11:06 AM

I canceled my streaming plan a month or so ago. Maybe two, now. I'll bring it out of hibernation when ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT comes back, but that's it. They just keep adding things I already own, which constantly irritates me.

#286 of 347 OFFLINE   Type A

Type A

Supporting Actor

• 799 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted December 11 2012 - 09:49 AM

Not a happy camper, the Hunger Games "blu ray" Netflix sent me only had Dolby Digital for an audio option. Anybody complained to Netflix about sending blu rays without the blu ray audio track?
JVC DLA-RS60U3D & DaLite High Power 106"
Paradigm Studio V.5 20 (5) & ADP590 (2)  
Hsu VTF-2 MK3 (2) & MBM-12 MK2 (2)

Yamaha RX-A3010 & Emotiva XPA5
Oppo BDP93 & Darbee DVP 5000

*My Home Theater Photo Journal*

#287 of 347 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,239 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted December 11 2012 - 12:51 PM

Netflix isnt to blame. Many blu's have only standard DD audio on rental copies including one I rented last week. Was either Dark KNight Rises or Paranorman
facebook.com/whotony

#288 of 347 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,499 posts

Posted December 13 2012 - 02:49 AM

Oops...someone's getting in on the Netflix "turf!"

Redbox Instant streaming plan takes on Netflix

#289 of 347 OFFLINE   Type A

Type A

Supporting Actor

• 799 posts

Posted December 13 2012 - 10:23 PM

Netflix isnt to blame. Many blu's have only standard DD audio on rental copies including one I rented last week. Was either Dark KNight Rises or Paranorman

Ah, well this was my first time. Very lame development thats for sure.

#290 of 347 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,841 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted December 14 2012 - 01:17 AM

This isn't a new development and certainly isn't only with Netflix.  I bought a rental copies of the new Nightmare on Elm Street and Despicable Me at Blockbuster at least a year ago, if not more.  They both very prominently say "Rental" on the front cover and contain very little in the way of extras.  I'd have to double check the discs to know exactly what they left off.

#291 of 347 OFFLINE   Type A

Type A

Supporting Actor

• 799 posts

Posted December 14 2012 - 05:53 AM

Yeah Ive seen that printed on DVD disks and thats what threw me, this blu ray didnt say rental. Been renting blu rays for years now and this Hunger Games is the first ever that Ive seen with lower specs, guess Ive just been lucky until now.

#292 of 347 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,065 posts

Posted March 13 2013 - 06:06 AM

Social features now live! http://blog.netflix....lix-social.html

#293 of 347 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,279 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted March 14 2013 - 06:00 AM

Called Netflix support the other day and had a nice chat with the agent. She said that the company is working hard to keep and win back many of their disc customers, particularly those who pay the Blu-ray surcharge, as I was complaining that many of the TV titles I wanted to rent were not available from Netflix in Blu-ray (but were available for purchase at retail). She agreed with me, and offered to refund me the surcharge this month and send me a few "free" rentals.

Maybe they are finally listening......

#294 of 347 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,048 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted March 14 2013 - 06:06 AM

I finally just went all streaming. I realized that at $8/mo, its cheaper than my HBO subscription and it gets as much or more use

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#295 of 347 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,065 posts

Posted April 22 2013 - 01:03 PM

Seems reasonable if your family can use it:

http://www.theverge....taneous-streams

I let my Streaming account go to waste for quite a few months but I have been gobbling up Breaking Bad, will be on Sons of Anarchy next I think.  I ate up that Kevin Spacey show in under a week too.

Also, ICYMI:

http://www.theverge....s-arrives-today

http://www.theverge....-free-streaming

And most importantly:

http://www.theverge....-to-html5-video

#296 of 347 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,641 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted April 26 2013 - 08:42 AM

http://www.nytimes.c...ath-spiral.html

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#297 of 347 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,065 posts

Posted May 09 2013 - 07:08 AM

Survival:

http://www.businessw...n-valleys-elite

#298 of 347 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,814 posts

Posted May 09 2013 - 12:34 PM

Thing is, Netflix's "Death Spiral" wasn't about decisions, or fan disgruntlement, it was about all the Chicken-LIttling from Slate.com, for those who already managed to get through the "May 1 Massacre":  :rolleyes:

Qwikster (for those who didn't read the beginning of the thread) was a simple, albeit lame and ultimately bad, idea:  Netflix wanted to directly take on Redbox by splitting their services, making one label that handled streaming, and one that handled disk-by-mail and games, and unfortunately, like today, charging separate prices for separate subscriptions.  The new funny name was to satisfy the smartypantses who would ask why games were coming from a "Flix"-by-mail company, which allowed the non-game streaming service to keep the core name.

NOBODY got the idea.  Once the non-users got to press, just to keep with magic Tablet Trends, we had "Netflix will be streaming only?" "They're jumping ship!" "They're ashamed of disks!"  "It's the final admittance that Disks Are Dead!"  "They came up with a vile plot to clone themselves and bill us twice!"

Reed Hastings, already a master of Bad New Ideas (I'm saying it now people, it's going to be AMC time, and you are going to rue the day you said good things about House of Cards...) realized bad publicity wasn't worth it, and was "scared" back into normal behavior for the company.  But in the end, the fault really wasn't HIS.

I've used my free month of HuluPlus to catch up on my Criterions, and that could use a lot MORE fixing:  Hulu spends so much on getting alien Alec Baldwin to tell us to watch Modern Family and SNL, there's not as many vintage reruns, and apart from Criterion, their movie section is a ghost town.  There's an example of a streaming service that put all its eggs in one basket, and let the crops starve.  (Although with the Criterions out of the way, I ended up using Hulu to binge-view ALFTales and Cinematic Titanic, and get my Daily Show headline fix.)

Netflix has now achieved what Facebook and Google have achieved:  They are the Go-To Place, and have become all things to every customer.  They have vintage reruns along with movies, and the occasional new movie if Epix remembers to send them one.  Not perfect, but they've become the easy-chair smorgasbord that cable used to be in the 80's-90's before Honey Boo-Boo killed it, and is now publicly considered to have "defeated" cable.  It ain't goin' anywhere just yet.  At least either until something comes along to replace it (oo, streaming?  :rolleyes: ), or until Reed decides to go the Hulu route and shove more obscure original British series down our throats, when we'd rather binge-view Star Trek, Alfred Hitchcock and Once Upon a Time.

(And btw, Sam, you ARE:  There's one pipe-throwing Headline Hound on every board, who answers and re-answers his own posts with Today's Top  Hot-Off-the-Press Link, and then thinks he's a "rebellious outlaw troll" when the regular posters tell him to stuff a sock in it, calm down, Sparky, and quit taking over the darn thread already.  Every board.)

Edited by Ejanss, May 09 2013 - 12:48 PM.

#299 of 347 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,065 posts

Posted May 09 2013 - 01:09 PM

/shrug, you're welcome to put me on ignore.  Not gonna hurt my feelings.

#300 of 347 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,275 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted May 09 2013 - 06:19 PM

Fascinating that Netflix is built on Amazon. I didn't know that. Since Amazon is moving into the content business, that seems risky. If Amazon Prime and Kindle are getting hurt by Netflix, they could turn them off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users