-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Netflix goes bat@#%@ insane, it's $16 a month now if you want to keep 1 DVD + streaming, $18 for 1 Bluray out

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
339 replies to this topic

#1 of 340 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,887 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted July 12 2011 - 05:26 AM

Cancelling my account if this goes through on 1 September... http://blog.netflix....-plans-and.html

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#2 of 340 WinstonCely

WinstonCely

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted July 12 2011 - 05:55 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if this has more to do with the studios wanting more money.

#3 of 340 Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,189 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted July 12 2011 - 07:35 AM

Actually, I think they are trying to get everyone to switch to their streaming only service, eventually discontinue the DVD plans, then switch to a tiered streaming plan.

I'm currently evaluating my options, and since most DVD's and Blu-ray discs from Netflix are "Rental Only" discs, with forced trailers and no extras, I'm on the fence at this point. Amazon just offered me a renewal on my Student Prime membership, which was free the first year but did not include video streaming, and if I renew is $40 and now includes streaming. But that means keeping both the PS3 and the Panny BD60 attached to my HT setup, since the PS3 can't do Amazon, and the BD60 can't do Vudu, Hulu+, Netflix, or CinemaNow.

#4 of 340 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted July 12 2011 - 08:29 AM

Yep, it is definitely official and not going to change.

http://www.deadline....us-dvd-service/

And the $18 for one BD and streaming pretty much means I'll kill the rental and just do redbox now and again.   I'm up in the air on the streaming.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#5 of 340 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,995 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 12 2011 - 09:00 AM

Sam:

While I don't have Netflix myself, I passed along your link to my daughter who is a subscriber.  This was her response to me:

UGH.

This sucks.  The plan was $10 I think when I signed up, a few months ago it changed to $11, and now $16?!  That's a HUGE jump.

I will very seriously be thinking about switching my netflix subscription now.  Argh.
On the other hand, I just started a free trial of Hulu Plus...might think about switching over to that, the only downside is some shows aren't compatible with anything other than traditional online viewing (they don't have the rights to show them over the Roku, etc), so it's slightly more limiting than I'd hope.

So much to think about...

I'm surprised I haven't gotten an email from netflix yet with this information.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#6 of 340 Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,860 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted July 12 2011 - 09:17 AM

Bummer news for unlimited streaming/disc subscribers.

I simply don't have the time to watch many rental movies each month (thanks to two toddlers), nor do I have any interest in streaming.  Last year my wife and I downgraded to the bare minimum - one DVD out at a time, max of 2 per month.  The monthly rate is about $5 and so far it's been a perfect fit for our lifestyle.

I can't justify the price increase for BR with NetFlix - I have several RedBox kiosks near my home that I can use for that if need be.

I'm not terribly surprised that they are discovering that there is, in fact, still a solid market for discs in the mail.  It will be a long time before the market shifts to streaming only.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#7 of 340 Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 594 posts

Posted July 12 2011 - 09:54 AM

Just checked my membership. I have the 3 dvd and streamimg plan and it will be going from $19.99 to $23.98. That sounds a little steep to me but still beats paying $40 plus a month for cable. I currently have "antennae" service which runs me $12 a month from comcast. I might drop the 3 dvds down to 1.

#8 of 340 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,698 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted July 12 2011 - 10:16 AM

Wow.  I was mulling subscribing, but not now...

Todd-

Look at the Panasonic BD110, 210 or 310.  It will stream all of those services.

#9 of 340 EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,461 posts

Posted July 12 2011 - 10:17 AM

Yup, my plan is going from $14.99 to $19.98....not a horrible increase, and one I can fully afford, but I wonder where down the line it will change again....

#10 of 340 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,698 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted July 12 2011 - 10:18 AM

Thinking further I'm suprised they don't give you a price break by susscribing to more than one service (DVD+streaming)

#11 of 340 Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,482 posts

Posted July 12 2011 - 10:33 AM

Thinking further I'm suprised they don't give you a price break by susscribing to more than one service (DVD+streaming)

I agree. Prices are going to go up; that's just the reality of inflation. But this is quite a hike, and it would be nice if they'd knock a couple of dollars off for people who want to subscribe to both.
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#12 of 340 WinstonCely

WinstonCely

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted July 12 2011 - 10:46 AM

I guess I'm a little more indifferent to it than most people. It's a jump for sure, but I don't see it as that bad especially when compared to cable or satellite services. However, it seems like this hullabaloo could have been avoided if they had made these the rates and plans the norm when they first introduced the streaming service. Sure, not many people would have added the service at first, but this new deal seems like backtracking. Like, "Hey here's a free extra we're gonna give you!" And then later, "Hey! Remember that free extra service, it's not free anymore!" Sorta like a close cousin of "indian giving" to coin an old phrase.

#13 of 340 SD_Brian

SD_Brian

Supporting Actor

• 585 posts

Posted July 12 2011 - 11:27 AM

Since I mostly just seem to constantly add things to my Watch Instantly queue but never actually get around to watching any of them, I will probably downgrade to disc-only. That said, Netflix picked a bad time to announce this because I just got a new Sony BD player that has a ton of non-Netflix streaming services available. I'm much more likely to check out the alternatives now than I would have been, say, two weeks ago.

#14 of 340 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted July 12 2011 - 12:27 PM

I'm one in the camp of "not such a big deal." We have the 4 DVD + streaming + Blu-ray and our plan is only increasing by $2. Evidently the biggest increase is for the 1 DVD + streaming subscribers who are getting a $6 hike.

#15 of 340 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,077 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted July 12 2011 - 12:43 PM

September 1 is an interesting time for it to take effect; with the fall TV season starting up at that point, it makes it that much easier for me to drop Netflix.

#16 of 340 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,887 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted July 12 2011 - 12:50 PM

I'm one in the camp of "not such a big deal." We have the 4 DVD + streaming + Blu-ray and our plan is only increasing by $2. Evidently the biggest increase is for the 1 DVD + streaming subscribers who are getting a $6 hike.

That doesnt sound correct

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#17 of 340 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted July 12 2011 - 01:00 PM

That doesnt sound correct

It is. We currently pay $32.98 and it will go up to $34.98 on September 1st.

#18 of 340 Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,189 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted July 12 2011 - 01:04 PM

And I think that is what most current subscribers who actively use both services really want and are surprised that a "bundle" deal is not available.

But, if I'm reading the original post from Netflix's blog correctly, it looks like they are splitting the two services as if they were two separate companies, which would make a bundle discount a bit more difficult, at least on paper.

Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich 

#19 of 340 Brisby

Brisby

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted July 12 2011 - 02:16 PM

I have rarely used the streaming feature on Netflix (lacking a BR player capable of doing such), so, given a choice, I'll dump the streaming option and only keep the DVD/BR mailers. I can't give up the service entirely, as Netflix has essentially put an end to my expensive "blind-buying" phase (and good riddance).

#20 of 340 Jacinto

Jacinto

Second Unit

• 411 posts
  • LocationLittleton, Colorado

Posted July 12 2011 - 02:48 PM

My kids stream tons of programming and use that service daily (we dropped cable last year, so getting all of the Nickelodeon and Disney Channel content that Netflix streams has been wonderful). My wife and I probably only watch 2-4 movies per month from them on dvd, so we'll be dropping that part of the plan, and just use Redbox for the few times a month we rent discs.
Chachi Hernandez
Illustrator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users