-

Photo
- - - - -

David Bowie keyboardist Mike Garson releases Bowie-related album

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Hans M.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted July 11 2011 - 10:47 PM

I recently spoke with Mike Garson, David Bowie's keyboardist since 1972. He has released his first Bowie-related solo album of piano music, and it's not your typical instrumental versions of an artist. Anyone familiar with Garson's piano solos on Aladdin Sane and his powerful accompaniments on Diamond Dogs, knows he plays anything but straight piano. His new album, the Bowie Variations for Piano, offer his improvised interpretations of some famous Bowie tunes. It's not new Bowie music, but at least it offers you a chance to hear some Bowie classics in a unique way from one of his longtime sidemen. There is a free mp3 of one cut and also Garson invites fans to drop him an email to place an order for a signed copy: http://indieethos.wo...thos-exclusive/

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm

Second Unit

• 455 posts
  • LocationStockholm, SWEDEN

Posted July 13 2011 - 08:12 PM

I had already pre-ordered this when the signature offer came up, unfortunately, but I am really looking forward to this. edit: it seems my pre-order fell through (CD WOW, what can you expect?), so I cancelled it and instead placed my order directly at Mike's site, so I will get a signed copy, can't wait :)
/Mikael

- "Do you indulge in any form of worship?"
-"Life. I love life, very much indeed."
David Bowie interviewed by Russell Harty, 1973

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Hans M.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted July 19 2011 - 06:32 AM

So the Garson interview continues with one that covers his career with Bowie and also deeply probes his creative process. In 2004 I spoke to him for a proposed cover story in "Goldmine Magazine" which never materialized after a series of mishaps that lead to Bowie's quiet retirement. It finally sees the light of day now. Here is part one: http://indieethos.wo...d-bowie-part-1/ I plan to add 4-5 more posts that will see my entire archival interview with Garson released over the course of the week. It will also feature sound files of him demonstrating some ideas on a piano! So keep coming back every morning for a new post and probing portrait of the artist that added a special flavor to the Bowie sound.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm

Second Unit

• 455 posts
  • LocationStockholm, SWEDEN

Posted July 25 2011 - 04:48 AM

It came in the mail today, signed and pretty, and pretty fast as well, and I am listening to it now. It is absolutely mindblowing, truly fantastic, great improvisations, great acoustics, great SQ, great all over! Reminds me a bit of Keith Jarrett in his finer moments. Just buy it!
/Mikael

- "Do you indulge in any form of worship?"
-"Life. I love life, very much indeed."
David Bowie interviewed by Russell Harty, 1973

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Hans M.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted July 25 2011 - 01:17 PM

It came in the mail today, signed and pretty, and pretty fast as well, and I am listening to it now. It is absolutely mindblowing, truly fantastic, great improvisations, great acoustics, great SQ, great all over! Reminds me a bit of Keith Jarrett in his finer moments. Just buy it!

Hi, Mikael, It seems you got yours before me. Good to hear it provided a nice listen. It would be awesome if you can post your comments on the original thread, as someone adding his opinion to the piece outside myself, as I'm just too close to it all to offer an objective comment. Part 2 of the Bowie-related interview is up (and the next part will focus on his jazz side, that should be up in the morning tomorrow, if not sometime that day): http://indieethos.wo...r-years-part-2/ Edit: part 3 focuses on his jazz experience and he mentions a love for Keith Jarrett: http://indieethos.wo...ie-part-3-of-5/