Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Speaker setup help

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 marcusopus

marcusopus

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted July 11 2011 - 05:57 PM

We just bought a new home and it was pre-wired for surround sound. I had no problems hooking up the center channel and surround sound speakers, but I'm having difficulty setting up the sub. I have a Onkyo TX-SR504 amplifer with a lone RCA pre-out for the sub. I have a Speakercraft BassX 10 that has it's own amplifier and RCA inputs. Problem here is that the wires in-between are speaker wires with four different colors. There are actually two different sets of wires, one with 4 wires and one with 2. I know it's probably easy but I'm a bit befuddled. How do I get convert the four speaker wires to RCA plugs to connect the amp and the sub? Are their adapters for that? Thanks in advance.

#2 of 2 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,051 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted July 12 2011 - 12:41 AM

The optimal method is to pull RG-59 or RG-6 cable to use as a sub cable. Option 2 is to get a passive sub and use an amp near your receiver. The last and probably worst option is to solder RCA connectors on the existing wire. There is a very good chance you will pick up a lot of interference. On the other hand, it is the lest expensive of the options and may be worth a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users