Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Speaker setup help

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   marcusopus

marcusopus

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted July 11 2011 - 05:57 PM

We just bought a new home and it was pre-wired for surround sound. I had no problems hooking up the center channel and surround sound speakers, but I'm having difficulty setting up the sub. I have a Onkyo TX-SR504 amplifer with a lone RCA pre-out for the sub. I have a Speakercraft BassX 10 that has it's own amplifier and RCA inputs. Problem here is that the wires in-between are speaker wires with four different colors. There are actually two different sets of wires, one with 4 wires and one with 2. I know it's probably easy but I'm a bit befuddled. How do I get convert the four speaker wires to RCA plugs to connect the amp and the sub? Are their adapters for that? Thanks in advance.

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,210 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted July 12 2011 - 12:41 AM

The optimal method is to pull RG-59 or RG-6 cable to use as a sub cable. Option 2 is to get a passive sub and use an amp near your receiver. The last and probably worst option is to solder RCA connectors on the existing wire. There is a very good chance you will pick up a lot of interference. On the other hand, it is the lest expensive of the options and may be worth a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users