-

Photo
- - - - -

Barney Miller Complete Series 25 Disc Set Oct 25th

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
98 replies to this topic

#1 of 99 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,209 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted July 11 2011 - 11:58 AM

Shout Factory is going to be releasing a 25 Disc Box Set for Barney Miller Oct 25th 2011!

http://tvshowsondvd....te-Series/15636

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

From www.tvshowsondvd.com

The Emmy- and Golden-Globe-winning show will also be accompanied on DVD by "tons" of newly-produced and never-before-seen bonus features, including a 32-page Commemorative Book, New Interviews with the Cast (Hal Linden, Max Gail, Abe Vigoda), the Original Unaired Pilot, Writers Commentary on Select Episodes, and - whoa! - the First Season of the spin-off show Fish starring Abe Vigoda (note that the spin-off lasted for two seasons and 35 episodes; the 13-episode first season was more closely tied to Barney Miller since Vigoda's "Detective Phil Fish" regularly appeared in BOTH shows during the episodes that aired in 1977; Fish retired from the NYPD at the beginning of the Fall '77 season for each of these sitcoms).

Shout! is timing this title's street date to be on store shelves during the holiday gift-giving season, and the package art (shown below) clearly will appeal to fans. If you already own the individual season sets for the first three broadcast years, then you'll be wondering if SF plans to put out separate packages for Seasons 5 through 8. While the studio hasn't officially said, our experience is that they almost certainly will, and have done so in the past whenever they've started with these "complete season" packages (after all, the episodes are already produced, so there's no reason not to capitalize on that!). If you want the big set, though, then you'll be happy to know that it clocks in at $159.99 SRP (that's like $20 per Barney Miller season, or just $6.40 per DVD!)...and retailers such as Amazon will certainly discount the set from there. Hard to find fault with that! Or this amazing box to hold it all:

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#2 of 99 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,209 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted July 11 2011 - 12:04 PM

I hope everyone agrees even if we have purchased the first three seasons of Barney Miller that this is a really huge announcement. The price isn't bad at all. Day one purchase!

This is how it should be done just haul out a complete series and put an end to the delayed and stalled shows. I wish this could happen for POLICE WOMAN among other SONY titles.

This is going to be a great box set and SHOUT FACTORY deserve major thanks.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#3 of 99 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,027 posts

Posted July 11 2011 - 12:04 PM

WHOA indeed!! This is incredible news and for me this now leaves me with just the last two seasons of Bob Newhart as the ONLY sitcom items on DVD unreleased for me. I will be getting this for certain.

#4 of 99 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted July 11 2011 - 12:15 PM

It's an automatic buy for me.   It'll mean double-dipping since I have the single-season sets but this one's a favorite show of mine.

This is another reason that I'm a Shout fan, regardless of their faults.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#5 of 99 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,146 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted July 11 2011 - 12:50 PM

I am very glad I never got around to picking up the single season sets. Plus, hey, the first season of Fish. That's a great extra.

#6 of 99 OFFLINE   Gene M

Gene M

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted July 11 2011 - 01:13 PM

Hell Yes! It's about damn time!!! Wink! Wink! Amazon Please put this sweet treat for Gold Box deal of the day! I want it! I will get it!

#7 of 99 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted July 11 2011 - 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man 

I am very glad I never got around to picking up the single season sets.

Plus, hey, the first season of Fish. That's a great extra.

I hear you on that part (double-dipping).  We've all heard the debates here over and over about supporting studios but this has happened before, seeing a complete series release after a couple seasons were previously released.

I'm looking at it as a plus but that's because this show is one of my 70's favorites.  Another reason it's a plus for me is that my Mom and I have been watching the Sony release sets together.  Turns out she's a big "Fish" fan so that extra in this upcoming series set will be another bonus for me.

#8 of 99 OFFLINE   vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted July 11 2011 - 01:25 PM

Shout better not screw this one up. The framerate should be 29.976 fps. Anything below that, and it's AITF S7 all over again. And I hope they use MPEG instead of DivX. After that heart-breaking encoding issue, I've been more and more cautious about what this company is doing.
 To all fans of Mr. Belvedere who haven't purchased season 4 yet, please watch this video.

#9 of 99 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,260 posts

Posted July 11 2011 - 01:30 PM

Wow - what a surprise announcement - and a welcome one at that.  I'm not the same level of MILLER fan that others are, but this is an important and highly entertaining series that deserves release.  SHOUT deserves praise and kudos for this; and at an attractive price point to boot.

Well done, Shout!

Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#10 of 99 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,209 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted July 11 2011 - 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Steve...O 

Wow - what a surprise announcement - and a welcome one at that.  I'm not the same level of MILLER fan that others are, but this is an important and highly entertaining series that deserves release.  SHOUT deserves praise and kudos for this; and at an attractive price point to boot.

Well done, Shout!

Very true, this is going to be a great set as long as there are no frame rate issues etc like was mentioned in the previous post. I would hope after the All In the Family issue they are more cautious.

Marantz SR7007
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#11 of 99 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,648 posts

Posted July 11 2011 - 02:31 PM

Again, Shout saves the day for classic tv fans everywhere. Thank you Shout Factory. It is releases like this one that make me want to buy multiple sets just to support their fantastic decisions of releasing complete series sets(again, thank you)...unfortunately I will only have the cash for one set. I

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#12 of 99 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,146 posts

Posted July 11 2011 - 04:57 PM

Quote:

I hear you on that part (double-dipping).  We've all heard the debates here over and over about supporting studios but this has happened before, seeing a complete series release after a couple seasons were previously released.

I'm looking at it as a plus but that's because this show is one of my 70's favorites.  Another reason it's a plus for me is that my Mom and I have been watching the Sony release sets together.  Turns out she's a big "Fish" fan so that extra in this upcoming series set will be another bonus for me.

The way I choose to look at this one for the double dippers is that after Amazon discounts, the complete series set will probably end up being around a hundred bucks. That works out to 20 bucks per set for seasons 4-8, and 20 bucks a set is the usual Shout price for stuff like this. So, you still get all the unreleased seasons for roughly the same price you would have paid for them in single releases, plus the first three seasons and season 1 of Fish as icing on the cake. IMO, Double dippers won't be getting screwed over on this one. And, people like me who have waited on more releases before picking up any sets no longer have to worry about the series stalling out again.

#13 of 99 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted July 11 2011 - 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man 

The way I choose to look at this one for the double dippers is that after Amazon discounts, the complete series set will probably end up being around a hundred bucks. That works out to 20 bucks per set for seasons 4-8, and 20 bucks a set is the usual Shout price for stuff like this.

So, you still get all the unreleased seasons for roughly the same price you would have paid for them in single releases, plus the first three seasons and season 1 of Fish as icing on the cake.

IMO, Double dippers won't be getting screwed over on this one. And, people like me who have waited on more releases before picking up any sets no longer have to worry about the series stalling out again.

Good points.  I guess we'll wait to see if this set will be a "Shout Select" release or a 'net-wide (Amazon, etc) release.  If it's a net-wide release, the price should be lower.  The product announcement seems to indicate that it will be net-wide, with the mention of "store shelves".

#14 of 99 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,098 posts

Posted July 11 2011 - 05:28 PM

I wonder if they will correct the episodes that Sony screwed up by using syndicated tapes on.

#15 of 99 OFFLINE   vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted July 11 2011 - 05:45 PM

I wonder if they will correct the episodes that Sony screwed up by using syndicated tapes on.

There's also a good chance that they may screw up the framerate, like they did with AITF S7.
 To all fans of Mr. Belvedere who haven't purchased season 4 yet, please watch this video.

#16 of 99 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,146 posts

Posted July 11 2011 - 05:50 PM

There's also a good chance that they may screw up the framerate, like they did with AITF S7.

Seriously? Still complaints about that after the final two seasons were released with no problem?

#17 of 99 OFFLINE   vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted July 11 2011 - 06:03 PM

I've been more and more cautious about what this company is doing ever since the framerate issue last October. The syndicated episode slip-ups, especially on season 1 sets were bad enough, but then came an even more annoying issue. And I hope by now Shout has got the message when it comes to videotaped shows.

#18 of 99 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,209 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted July 11 2011 - 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Neil Brock 

This is a very good question indeed.

Marantz SR7007
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#19 of 99 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,216 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted July 11 2011 - 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Neil Brock 

They've had very little problems getting uncut masters from Sony, and they redid the first two seasons of Leave it to Beaver, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#20 of 99 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,851 posts

Posted July 11 2011 - 11:46 PM

Looks great! This is what TV on DVD should look like.