What's new

Xena DVD's are avail. in R1 (1 Viewer)

Scott Dill

Stunt Coordinator
I admit to being a fan of this show (at least the first 3 seasons :)) and have been looking forward to its availibility.
As can be seen at this link: Xena DVD's
They are becoming availible through Columbia House, but are $24.95 plus shipping per 2 episode disc. :angry::angry: Yowzer, that's expensive!! They will end up costing more than twice as much as Star Trek on a per episode basis.
I'm not so sure that I rationalize this outrageuos price. What does anyone else think of this?

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
How about the R2 UK discs? Have anybody here seen them? How are they affected by PAL speedup? Is this an issue with Xena?

I'm thinking about getting the R2 discs regardless of PAL Speedup, I reckon it's the best available option for me anyway.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
WAY too expensive (the Xena discs)!

However, I'd buy the Callisto episodes, if and when they get around to them (if they haven't released a season box set by then).

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I saw a couple Xena discs for sale at Best Buy the other day. I am not sure if they were the same ones CH is pushing but the price was cheaper for sure. You might want to look there before taking the CH plunge.

J

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Those in Best Buy were probably the Hercules episodes with Xena in it, or the animated kids film about Xena.

But hold your horses, everyone who is considering the Columbia House route! Look at what someone said on the xena newsgroup today:

All you DVD fans get ready. It's finally going to happen.

I had a conversation with Rob Tapert today as he was driving back from a commentary session with Lucy and Renee for . . . the director's cut DVD of "Friend In Need." He also told me the studio will be releasing season six

on DVD in the near future. Not sure at this time if Lucy and Renee will be doing commentary on any of the other DVDs.

These DVDs are for the U.S. and I expect that if sales go well, they will release seasons one through five as well. No date has been set yet for the release of either "Friend" or season six, but I believe it will be in the Spring of 2002 and we will be offering them for sale.

As soon as we get any more information, we'll let everyone know.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Season 6 was the final season, right?

This is great news, as my station pretty much stopped playing Xena at regular hours during the end of its run -- and I heard quality picked up right before the end.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
In light of this excellent news, don't waste your time on the R2 releases.
I own the R2 season one DVDs (simply 'cause I'm a big fan of the show, and I didn't see any possibility they'd get to R1 for some time), and the quality is very poor.
PAL speedup... affirmative.
extras... laughable (one or two stills).
video quality... disgusting (I know s1 was 16mm but c'mon!).
sound quality... poor (encoded at super low bitrate)

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
I'm going to have to hold off until they're released in season by season boxsets. Over 12 bucks an episode is obviously too much of a rip.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Those in Best Buy were probably the Hercules episodes with Xena in it, or the animated kids film about Xena.
You mean these:
0783226276.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
Link Removed
Best Buy also carries an inexpensive Xena DVD-VideoGame (doesn't require Nuon or anything like that; it works like one of the old "Choose Your Own Adventure" books, if you remember those):
Link Removed
[rant]This is not an episode! It's just a videogame![/rant]
There's also a 2nd videogame called "Xena: Death In Chains", which Amazon sells but I can't find a picture of anywhere. It seems to be based on an episode from Season 1, so there's probably footage in there from the ep, but it's not the actual show, just an interactive version of it.
There was also a Hercules (Kevin Sorbo series) DVD that had Lucy Lawless on it in a different role, before she showed up as Xena. I don't own the disc, but the pic on the back was hardly Xena-like. As I recall Lucy's face was dirty/pimply looking...hardly Xena-like.
No episodes from the main Xena TV series yet. I have some interest in the report of a season box set, but I'm uncertain whether I'd be able to start with Season 6! After all, I only spraordically watched the series, and I'd hate to start at the end. It's probably my wife's call more than mine...she's the one who in into the Warrior Princess! :)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Oh yes, I forgot to mention that the R2 episodes are completely out of order! e.g. you get flashbacks of episodes in future discs! :thumbsdown:
David, you are referring to one of the original Hercules TV films "Hercules and the Amazon Women" (as if there are Amazon Men ;) ), where Lucy Lawless plays (you guessed it) an Amazon woman(!). The picture on the back cover doesn't do her justice, BTW, she looks great. :)

Scott Dill

Stunt Coordinator
I hope that the season set rumor is true, as this would be preferable to CH's outragious prices. I know that quote is attributed to Tapert, but it seeems strange that Columbia would be offerring these at the same time that season sets are being made up by the studio. Even if it is true, the last few seasons of Xena were just terrible, so having to hope for succesful sales of them before the release of the early stuff is no too promising.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks