Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
79 replies to this topic

#1 of 80 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,606 posts

Posted July 11 2011 - 01:07 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY (1962)

DEBUTS ON BLU-RAY™ NOVEMBER 8 FROM WARNER HOME VIDEO

Breathtaking Film Earned Seven Academy Award® Nominations

Including Best Picture

Starring Two-time Oscar® Winner Marlon Brando

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Burbank, Calif., July 11, 2011 – Mutiny on the Bounty (1962), heralded as one of the greatest cinematic achievements of its time, makes its long-awaited debut on Blu-ray Disc™ November 8 from Warner Home Video. Honoring the original splendor of the film, the Blu-ray release boasts the finest and most vivid home entertainment presentation to date. Cinematographer Robert Surtees (Ben-HurThe Last Picture ShowThe StingThe Graduate) filmed Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) in stunning 65mm Panavision, the first motion picture so credited, yielding an ultra-wide projected aspect ratio. The result earned Surtees a Best Cinematography Oscar® nomination for his work (1963). The Blu-ray version of the film boasts restored elements from the original 65mm negative, bringing the majestic scope, breathtaking cinematography and epic score to home audiences as it was meant to be seen and heard. 

Nominated for seven Academy Awards® in 1963 (Best Picture, Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Best Cinematography-Color, Best Effects-Special Effects, Best Film Editing, Best Music-Score, Best Music-Song) and starring two-time Oscar® winner Marlon Brando (On the WaterfrontThe GodfatherApocalypse NowSuperman), Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) arrives on Blu-ray Disc with hours of bonus content including five featurettes and alternate scenes not seen in theaters. Orders are due October 4 (SRP $19.98).Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) is also available for digital download and rental through iTunes and Amazon Instant Video.

About the Film

1787. HMS Bounty sets out on a journey through perilous seas to a tropical paradise…and into history as the one of the most ill-fated vessels in naval lore. Lewis Milestone (All Quiet on the Western Front) directs this color-drenched spectacular nominated for seven Academy Awards®, including Best Picture. Filmed before in 1935 and again in 1984’s The Bounty, the gripping story centers on first officer Fletcher Christian (Marlon Brando), a dandy transformed into a man of action, and Capt. William Bligh (Trevor Howard), uncompromising in his command or his cruelty. “Fear is [my] best weapon,” Bligh proclaims. But it’s also the most costly, driving men to desperation and mutiny. Richard Harris, Hugh Griffith and Richard Haydn also star in this epic adventure.

Special Features:

• Alternate Prologue and Epilogue Sequences Not Seen Theatrically
  • 2006 Featurette After the Cameras Stopped Rolling: The Journey of the Bounty
  • Four Vintage Featurettes:
    • 1964 New York World’s Fair Promo
    • Story of the HMS Bounty
    • Tour of the Bounty
    • Voyage of the Bounty to St. Petersburg
  • [*] Theatrical Trailer

MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY (1962)

BLU-RAY DISC™

Street Date: November 8, 2011

Order Due Date: October 4, 2011

Catalog # / UPC: 1000202876 / 883929189724

Rating: NR

Run Time: 178 minutes

Language: English

SRP: $19.98

Cat / UPC: 1000202876 / 883929189724

Warner Home Video Blu-ray Discs offer resolution six times higher than standard definition DVDs, as well as extraordinarily vibrant contrast and color and beautifully crisp sound. The format also provides a higher level of interactivity, with instant access to extra features via a seamless menu bar where viewers can enjoy features without leaving or interrupting the film.

For more information visit: http://warnerblu.warnerbros.com/.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 80 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,078 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 11 2011 - 02:30 AM

Many HTF members have been waiting on this BR release.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#3 of 80 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,929 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted July 11 2011 - 02:38 AM

Thank you! This news just made my day.

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos. 

#4 of 80 OFFLINE   Eerik

Eerik

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted July 11 2011 - 02:45 AM

Let me guess. 50th Anniversary edition will be confirmed/announced few weeks after this is released.

#5 of 80 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,078 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 11 2011 - 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Eerik 

Let me guess. 50th Anniversary edition will be confirmed/announced few weeks after this is released.

Why the negativity?  I group this title as in the same boat with Gran Prix, a film released on HD DVD that is finally getting its Blu-ray release.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#6 of 80 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted July 11 2011 - 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Eerik 

It is odd, that WB ( who is crazy about anniversary dates) would release this film in November when in January 2012 it celebrates it's 50th anniversary (50th ...one of the biggest) meanwhile there are other films are sitting on the shelf waiting for their anniversary dates....who runs these things over there?

wouldn't be surprised if next Novemeber there is a 50th edition with a ship in a bottle

#7 of 80 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,446 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted July 11 2011 - 03:40 AM

Excellent news. My favourite Bounty film arriving on Blu-ray this year..

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#8 of 80 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,612 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 11 2011 - 04:02 AM

I never got the HD DVD (I had it on DVD that looked very good) in a Brando box set. But I'll be upgrading, especially at that very nice price which should get some discount.

#9 of 80 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,409 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted July 11 2011 - 04:35 AM

It would be nice if the alternate prologue and epilogue are incorporated in to the film instead of having to view them as deleted scenes. Make it a menu choice.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#10 of 80 ONLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,914 posts

Posted July 11 2011 - 05:02 AM

Many HTF members have been waiting on this BR release.

Crawdaddy

And I'm one of them!

#11 of 80 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,078 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 11 2011 - 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Johnny Angell 

It would be nice if the alternate prologue and epilogue are incorporated in to the film instead of having to view them as deleted scenes. Make it a menu choice.

I'm pretty sure these discs are already pressed, but maybe they can do this for the 50th Anniversary.Posted Image

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#12 of 80 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,688 posts

Posted July 11 2011 - 08:08 AM

Robert, thanks for the news, I like this one very much. Are there any infos available about how this was prepared for Blu-Ray? This would have to be redone to be up to current standards - a lot has happened in the last 5 years since it was released on HD-DVD. Or to put it another way: There is no reason why this could not look at least as good as the upcoming release of Ben Hur so I hope that Warner has also worked with an 8k scan in this case. Maybe you can get a bit more information from Warner than what we get with the cookie-cutter press release ;)

#13 of 80 OFFLINE   Eerik

Eerik

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted July 11 2011 - 08:52 AM

Why the negativity?  I group this title as in the same boat with Gran Prix, a film released on HD DVD that is finally getting its Blu-ray release.

Crawdaddy

I don't think I'm being negative. I'd just recommend waiting to see if the evitable anniversary edition is just a repackage or something worthwhile.

#14 of 80 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,335 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 11 2011 - 08:57 AM

While it might about 50 some days early for the 50th anniversary, I think it's safe to assume that it's close enough. Not to mention that this movie doesn't seem to even come close to enough popularity that it would need to have a re-release in under a year.

#15 of 80 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted July 11 2011 - 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by TravisR 

While it might about 50 some days early for the 50th anniversary, I think it's safe to assume that it's close enough. Not to mention that this movie doesn't seem to even come close to enough popularity that it would need to have a re-release in under a year.

uh..wasn't "Willy Wonka" just re-released last year as a WB non-digibook...yet this fall a new special edition is coming

#16 of 80 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,267 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted July 11 2011 - 10:43 AM

This is great news.  Naturally, I only just a few months ago bought the DVD box set with the 2-disc edition of Mutiny, plus those other films.  Ah well...

#17 of 80 OFFLINE   john a hunter

john a hunter

Supporting Actor

• 646 posts

Posted July 11 2011 - 10:54 AM

Not mentioned but I hope and suspect that the audio will be upgraded from the HD-DVD to lossless. It's a great score that deserves nothing less. Roll on November!

#18 of 80 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 912 posts

Posted July 11 2011 - 10:54 AM

It's already on my "buy" list. The movie itself ain't so great, but the cinematography and music are stupendous!

#19 of 80 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,577 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 11 2011 - 11:49 AM

I'm waiting for the Deluxe Set with the exclusive Hugh Griffith action figure.

#20 of 80 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,856 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 11 2011 - 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chas in CT 

This is great news.  Naturally, I only just a few months ago bought the DVD box set with the 2-disc edition of Mutiny, plus those other films.  Ah well...

Thanks for buy the set.  I am sure this is what got Warner's off their seat and decided to release it.  Posted Image

I have the set also, and will be buying this.  It should look magnificent in Blu-ray and the music will soar.  This is one film that I truly love the overture and entr'acte with that soothing island song.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman