Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Where's the Best Place To Buy Vinyl in NYC?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,929 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted July 11 2011 - 12:18 AM

My vinyl collection is growing rapidly. I started with a couple of titles at the beginning of the year and now I'm approaching 50 or so records, mostly acquired online. I've never had so much fun buying music! There is so much stuff that never made it to CD it's ridiculous. So, I'm in NYC and I've found a couple of independent stores with a decent selection. I keep hearing about people in small cities and their "great" vinyl shops - it seems there are still lots of places that sell records throughout the U.S. but here in New York most of the shops seem to have disappeared and been replaced with Starbucks joints. Bleecker Street Records and Gimme Gimme Records on the Lower East Side are both good. Smallish, but good. I'm looking for a place that has a good selection of Dance and Freestyle titles, 80's New Wave, stuff like that. Any New Yorkers here can point me in the right direction? Thanks!

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos. 

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,420 posts

Posted July 11 2011 - 01:45 AM

Luisito, Somewhat O/T-- I am with you 100% on vinyl purchasing. I own about 2,200 LPs at present. And last Friday morning, the music department at the university at which I work delivered about 1,000 LPs of theirs to my office. Here they sit, in several boxes. These are classical, folk, folk-rock, jazz, ethno, rock 'n roll, etc. Anyway, these will be put to good use. Now for the fun part. There are many titles that they would have discarded (as in thrown out!), which is why these ended up in my hands as the university music librarian. When I determine which of these LPs are not necessarily curriculum-related or are duplicates, these will be deselected (meaning that they will not end up in our catalog). And guess whose LP collection they end up in? ;)

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Kenny_H

Kenny_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted July 19 2011 - 06:27 AM

Have you tried J & R Music on Park Place? Their vinyl collection keeps on growing! The last time I was in there they had moved the Oldies/Dance music upstairs to make room for more vinyl!

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,929 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted July 19 2011 - 08:14 AM

Have you tried J & R Music on Park Place? Their vinyl collection keeps on growing! The last time I was in there they had moved the Oldies/Dance music upstairs to make room for more vinyl!

Yup - I've noticed they have dramatically increased their vinyl shelf space, and it's a good thing but they usually only carry mainstream stuff. I found a couple of places that have a good selection of House and Dance: Disc-o-rama on 8th Street and A-1 Records on 6th. There's nothing like a good old, dusty, dingy record store to spend hours in.

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos. 

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Carl Miller

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

• 1,461 posts

Posted July 20 2011 - 02:51 PM

Been quite a while since I went, but Good Records on E. 5th St is pretty cool. It's not big, but they have an eclectic selection.

Carl

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted July 21 2011 - 04:01 PM

The Academy Records store in Williamsburg is good.
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s