Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

MGM Press Release: West Side Story 50th Anniversary and Limited Edition (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#1 of 41 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,620 posts

Posted July 07 2011 - 08:28 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

CELEBRATE THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF A CULTURAL MASTERPIECE THAT REDEFINED CINEMA NOW IN BREATHTAKING HIGH-DEFINITION

Experience the Original Academy Award®-Winning Movie As WEST SIDE STORY: 50th ANNIVERSARY EDITION Makes Its Blu-ray Debut on November 15

Limited Edition Collector’s Set Available Featuring Two-Disc Blu-ray, Newly Restored DVD and Tribute CD Along With Photo Book and Other Collectibles

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

LOS ANGELES, CA. – Five decades after its historic debut, a timeless classic returns to dazzle audiences young and old.  Based on the hit Broadway musical of the same name, the iconic film WEST SIDE STORY returns in brilliant Blu-ray form November 15, 2011 from Twentieth Century Home Entertainment.  With a record-breaking ten Academy Awards® including Best Picture, Best Directing and Best Original Score, the film took home more awards than any other movie-musical in the history of cinema.  This monumental production not only featured the timeless lyrics from master American composer Stephen Sondheim, but a brilliant score from Leonard Bernstein, and beautiful direction from Robert Wise.  WEST SIDE STORY: 50th Anniversary Editionboasts hundreds of hours of restoration, new 7.1 digital audio, and a collection of bonus features spotlighting the harmonious songs and elaborate dances of the original film.

This “brilliant” (The New Republic) film sets the ageless story of Romeo and Juliet against a backdrop of gang warfare in 1950’s New York.  A love affair is fated for tragedy amidst the vicious rivalry between two street gangs – the Jets and the Sharks.   When Jets member Tony (Richard Beymer, The Longest Day) falls for Maria (Natalie Wood, Splendor in the Grass), the sister of the Sharks leader, it’s more than these two warring gangs can handle.  As mounting tensions rise, a battle to the death ensues and innocent blood is shed in a heartbreaking finale.

Featuring the famous songs “Maria,” “America,” “Tonight,” and “I Feel Pretty,” WEST SIDE STORY: 50th Anniversary Edition showcases thrilling performances by Best Supporting Actress® winner Rita Moreno (The King and I), Best Supporting Actor® winner George Chakiris (Two and Two Make Six) and Russ Tamblyn (How the West Was Won).  The Blu-ray will be available in a Limited Edition 4-Disc Boxed Set featuring 2 disc Blu-ray, newly-restored DVD, Tribute CD and collectible memorabilia, as well as a 2-disc Collector’s Edition Blu-ray. Prebook is September 7.

WEST SIDE STORY 50th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Special Features

• ALL-NEW:  Pow! The Dances of West Side Story - cast members, contemporary filmmakers, dancers and choreographers analyze and illuminate the film’s famous dance sequences.
    • Prologue
    • Dance At the Gym
    • Tony and Maria’s Cha Cha
    • America
    • The Rumble
    • Maria’s Roof Dance
    • Cool
  • [*] ALL-NEWA Place for Us: West Side Story’s Legacy – a look back at the iconic film and the impact it has had all over the world
    • Creation and Innovation
    • A Timeless Vision
    [*] Song Specific Commentary by Lyricist Stephen Sondheim
    • Prologue
    • The Jet Song
    • Something’s Coming
    • Dance At the Gym
    • Maria
    • America
    • Tonight
    • Gee, Officer Krupke
    • I Feel Pretty
    • One Hand, One Heart
    • Quintet
    • Somewhere
    • Cool
    • A Boy Like That / I Have A Love
    [*] Music Machine –allows viewers to go straight to their favorite musical numbers [*] West Side Memories [*] Storyboard to Film Comparison Montage [*] Trailers
    • Original Theatrical Trailer
    • Original Issue Trailer
    • Reissue Trailer
    • Animated Trailer

About Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc.

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. is actively engaged in the worldwide production and distribution of motion pictures, television programming, home video, interactive media, music, and licensed merchandise. The company owns the world’s largest library of modern films, comprising around 4,100 titles. Operating units include Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures Inc., United Artists Films Inc., MGM Television Entertainment Inc., MGM Networks Inc., MGM Distribution Co., MGM International Television Distribution Inc., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Home Entertainment LLC, MGM ON STAGE, MGM Music, MGM Consumer Products and MGM Interactive. In addition, MGM has ownership interests in domestic and international TV channels reaching over 130 countries. For more information, visit www.mgm.com .

About Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, LLC (TCFHE) is a recognized global industry leader and a subsidiary of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation, a News Corporation company. Representing 75 years of innovative and award-winning filmmaking from Twentieth Century Fox, TCFHE is the worldwide marketing, sales and distribution company for all Fox film and television programming, acquisitions and original productions on DVD, Blu-ray Disc Digital Copy, Video On Demand and Digital Download. The company also releases all products globally for MGM Home Entertainment. Each year TCFHE introduces hundreds of new and newly enhanced products, which it services to retail outlets from mass merchants and warehouse clubs to specialty stores and e-commerce throughout the world.

WEST SIDE STORY 50th Anniversary Limited Edition Blu-ray Gift Set: (Catalog # M124521)

Street Date:                  November 15, 2011

Screen Format:                         2.20: 1

Audio:                          English 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio

Spanish 2.0 Dolby Digital

French, German 5.1 DTS

Subtitles:                      English, Spanish, French, Dutch, Portuguese, German, Finnish, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Chinese (Mandarin)

U.S. Rating:                  Not Rated

Total Run Time:          2 Hours, 53 Minutes

Closed Captioned:        Yes

WEST SIDE STORY 50th Anniversary Edition 2 Disc Blu-ray: (Catalog # M124523)

Street Date:                  November 15, 2011

Screen Format:                         2.20: 1

Audio:                          English 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio

Spanish 2.0 Dolby Digital

French, German 5.1 DTS

Subtitles:                      English, Spanish, French, Dutch, Portuguese, German, Finnish, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Chinese (Mandarin)

U.S. Rating:                  Not Rated

Total Run Time:          2 Hours, 353 Minutes

Closed Captioned:        Yes
--

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 41 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted July 07 2011 - 08:39 AM

I will probably purchase this, since it is one of my all-time favorite movies. Although, it will make my 3rd version of this movie. Thanks for the info on this.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#3 of 41 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,370 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted July 07 2011 - 08:52 AM

It will be the fourth dip for me - VHS, LD, DVD and now BD. Considering the financial straits that MGM was in, it has been pure gold for the avid collector getting all these wonderful catalog titles on Blu-ray through Fox distribution. Keep 'em coming!

I will probably purchase this, since it is one of my all-time favorite movies. Although, it will make my 3rd version of this movie. Thanks for the info on this.

#4 of 41 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,468 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted July 07 2011 - 09:10 AM

Definite for me!  I can't wait!

#5 of 41 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,536 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted July 07 2011 - 09:22 AM

Song specific commentary by Sondheim! I'm all over this!

#6 of 41 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,095 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 07 2011 - 10:22 AM

I'm really looking forward to this release as it's one of the first musicals I liked not named Wizard of Oz.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#7 of 41 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,859 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 07 2011 - 10:50 AM

All over this one.  Though it more than likely be the two disc Blu-ray edition.  Just put in the DVD special edition pack.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#8 of 41 OFFLINE   marsnkc

marsnkc

Second Unit

• 425 posts

Posted July 07 2011 - 11:34 AM

This is one of the handful for me that gets the paranoia going with worry of what it's going to look like. I hope RAH gets a very advanced copy to put me out of my misery - one way or the other!

#9 of 41 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 824 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted July 07 2011 - 11:41 AM

MGM knows how to handle this title, but not It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

#10 of 41 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,319 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted July 07 2011 - 11:42 AM

This is so mine.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#11 of 41 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,761 posts

Posted July 07 2011 - 08:37 PM

It will be the fourth dip for me - VHS, LD, DVD and now BD. Considering the financial straits that MGM was in, it has been pure gold for the avid collector getting all these wonderful catalog titles on Blu-ray through Fox distribution. Keep 'em coming!

It's like that scene in Men in Black when Agent K says "Guess I'll have to buy the White Album...again" :D

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#12 of 41 OFFLINE   Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 839 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted July 07 2011 - 10:54 PM

This set looks awesome! I am so getting this!

"There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

#13 of 41 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted July 08 2011 - 12:26 AM

Christmas time shopping just got a whole lot better!!!  love the saul bass artwork, now this is what a classic is supposed to look like.

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#14 of 41 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted July 08 2011 - 01:13 AM

I wonder if the optional intermission will be included.

#15 of 41 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts

Posted July 08 2011 - 01:30 AM

Does anyone have a price for this yet?

#16 of 41 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,620 posts

Posted July 08 2011 - 01:43 AM

No price has come up yet, but according to the
press brochure I received a few weeks back it is

listed as one of the titles priced at up to $89 APR.

I expect Amazon will have a price listed within a

few days and I'll post it here.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#17 of 41 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,269 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted July 08 2011 - 01:49 AM

Ah, now we can get another intermission discussion going.  Which is fine by me!  Posted Image

I didn't see the actual roadshow, but the intermission was included in the very first general release.  I think it was even kept in for the follow-up engagements I went to over the next couple of years.  What I don't recall is what the intermission card looked like, if there was one.

#18 of 41 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,455 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted July 08 2011 - 01:56 AM

Looking forward to this and hope the previous release's sync problem was taken care of for the Blu-ray release.  Also hope the same attention given to the packaging is also given to the a/v quality and quality controls this time around.

#19 of 41 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,626 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 08 2011 - 02:44 AM

I didn't remember an intermission for it the first time I saw it during its initial release (but I was a preteen, so it's understandable). When I saw a reissue in 1967, an intermission was inserted after "The Rumble" (which is where the intermission comes in the stage version). But the intermission card that went up was a generic one, and there was no en'tre act music played before the resumption of the movie.

#20 of 41 OFFLINE   greg.shoemaker

greg.shoemaker

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted July 08 2011 - 03:06 AM

Didn't one of the DVD releases include an optional overture? It was a rather clunky affair, if I remember correctly. The overture was one of the options in the special features menu. When the viewer clicked the overture option, the music would play, and when the music was finished, he/she would be taken to the main menu. At that point, the viewer would have to press "play" for the feature to roll, rather than simply having the overture play and be immediately followed by the film. The effect of the overture was to immerse the viewer with music that would set the mood for the film to follow. That experience was ruined by the manner in which the DVD was authored. I would really like to see that situation corrected for the BD.