Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Paramount Press Release: Breakfast At Tiffany's (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 of 42 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,855 posts

Posted July 06 2011 - 06:04 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

PARAMOUNT HOME ENTERTAINMENT CELEBRATES THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF ONE OF THE MOST BELOVED CLASSICS IN FILM HISTORY WITH A SPARKLING BLU-RAY RELEASE

BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY’S

Fully Restored and Remastered, Iconic Film Debuts on Blu-ray September 20, 2011 Including Over 90 Minutes of Bonus Features on the Making of the Movie, Audrey Hepburn’s Timeless Style, the Music of Henry Mancini and Much More

HOLLYWOOD, CALIF. – The exquisite Audrey Hepburn stars as the free-spirited Holly Golightly in the unforgettable masterpiece BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY’S, celebrating its 50th anniversary this year and debuting on Blu-ray September 20, 2011 from Paramount Home Entertainment.  Based on Truman Capote’s best-selling novella,BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY’S captured the imagination of audiences everywhere and made an indelible impact on movies, fashion and society at large.  In director Blake Edwards’ timeless classic, Hepburn’s intoxicating New York party girl embarks on a wildly entertaining, comedic adventure to find love in the big city.  George Peppard is the struggling and "sponsored" young writer who finds himself swept into Holly's dizzying, delightfully unstructured lifestyle as she determinedly scours Manhattan for a suitable millionaire to marry.  The film also stars Patricia Neal, Buddy Ebsen, Martin Balsam and Mickey Rooney and earned Oscars® for Best Song (“Moon River”) and Best Score.

BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY’S has been fully restored and remastered for this 50th Anniversary Blu-ray release, which boasts over 90 minutes of special features including an exploration of the making of the film, a look at Audrey’s iconic style, a tour of the studio lot, featurettes on Henry Mancini and Tiffany’s, commentary by producer Richard Shepherd, photo galleries, the original theatrical trailer and more.

BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY’S Blu-ray

The BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY’S Blu-ray is presented in 1080p high definition with English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, Restored English Mono Dolby Digital, French Mono Dolby Digital, Spanish Mono Dolby Digital and Portuguese Mono Dolby Digital with English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles.   Disc contents are as follows:

·         Commentary by producer Richard Shepherd

·         A Golightly Gathering

·         Henry Mancini: More Than Music

·         Mr. Yunioshi: An Asian Perspective

·         The Making of a Classic

·         It’s So Audrey: A Style Icon

·         Behind the Gates: The Tour

·         Brilliance in a Blue Box

·         Audrey’s Letter to Tiffany

·         Photo Galleries:

o   The Movie

o   Production

o   Publicity

·         Original Theatrical Trailer

About Paramount Home Entertainment         

Paramount Home Entertainment (PHE) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment.  PPC is a unit of Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), a leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands.  PHE is responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of home entertainment products on behalf of various parties including: Paramount Pictures, Paramount Vantage, Paramount Classics, Insurge Pictures, Paramount Famous Productions, Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, CBS and PBS and for providing home entertainment fulfillment services for DreamWorks Animation Home Entertainment.

BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY’S Blu-ray

Street date:                            September 20, 2011

Suggested Retail Price:           $29.99 U.S.

Runtime:                                 114 minutes

U.S. Rating:                            Not Rated

Canadian Rating:                   PG

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 42 dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,087 posts

Posted July 06 2011 - 06:17 AM

Awesome! Count me in.

Careful man! There's a beverage here!

#3 of 42 Towergrove

Towergrove

Supporting Actor

• 674 posts

Posted July 06 2011 - 02:24 PM

I am so excited for this release. Bravo to Paramount!
Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

#4 of 42 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,077 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted July 06 2011 - 03:41 PM

Fantastic!!  LOVE this film!

#5 of 42 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted July 06 2011 - 03:48 PM

While I grit my teeth at some parts of this (you can guess), I also love this film.   There are very few moments in any film that are as beautiful and riveting as her sitting out on the porch singing Moon River.     I still always baffle at the studio hating the song, because holy cow does it work.   

The DVD previously released is NOT NOT one of my favorites; I am hopeful this has been better restored and looks as it should.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#6 of 42 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,077 posts

Posted July 06 2011 - 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by mattCR 

While I grit my teeth at some parts of this (you can guess), I also love this film. 

If you're referring to Rooney's casting/portrayal, I know this will sound strange, but the only way I can watch it now is to tell myself that he's just a wildly eccentric caucasian man who wants to pretend he's Japanese and thinks he's fooling everybody, while in actuality, everybody's hip to him and basically just patronizes him.  Weird, I know, but it helps me when I watch it anyway. LOL.  

#7 of 42 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,121 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 06 2011 - 10:17 PM

The Rooney's characterization doesn't bother me like some of you.  It's probably because I've seen much worse from Hollywood over the years.  Particularly, on how they portrayed my race, but I've been able to compartmentalize such portrayals in order to still enjoy classic films from The Birth of a Nation and GWTW to more recent films.

Also, this explains why Amazon pulled the last preorder as they changed release dates.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#8 of 42 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,600 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted July 07 2011 - 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by mattCR 
The DVD previously released is NOT NOT one of my favorites; I am hopeful this has been better restored and looks as it should.

Based on how African Queen and White Christmas turned out I have no doubts that this is going to look great.

#9 of 42 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,636 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 07 2011 - 03:54 AM

Paramount released Breakfast at Tiffany's three times on DVD (that I know about). The first one was dark and dirty. The second one in 2006 and third one (which I got to review) had been cleaned up and was brighter, but the color was off with saturation levels which seemed unspectacular and some color timing problems. I have my fingers crossed for a stunning Blu-ray experience, especially since White Christmas and True Grit and The African Queen looked so marvelous.

#10 of 42 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 5,999 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted July 07 2011 - 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by JohnMor 

If you're referring to Rooney's casting/portrayal, I know this will sound strange, but the only way I can watch it now is to tell myself that he's just a wildly eccentric caucasian man who wants to pretend he's Japanese and thinks he's fooling everybody, while in actuality, everybody's hip to him and basically just patronizes him.  Weird, I know, but it helps me when I watch it anyway. LOL.  

Your explanation may not have only made the character tolerable, but actually amusing, at least unintentionally. It's one of those things in movies I otherwise love that I just overlook.

Was Mr. Yunioshi in the original novella, or did Mickey Rooney just owe a lot of back alimony to several ex-wives?

That aside, I'm expecting great things from this disc based on Paramount's track record.

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#11 of 42 dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,087 posts

Posted July 08 2011 - 04:04 AM

I view Rooney's portrayal of Mr. Yunioshi as a caricature. In fact it's so over the top that I can't even begin to regard his performance as anything other than vaudevillian absurdity.

Careful man! There's a beverage here!

#12 of 42 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,423 posts

Posted July 08 2011 - 04:13 AM

Mickey Rooney is such a minor part of the film and only on screen for a few minutes (and he is so over the top you can't really take his role seriously)

Other than that the film works very well.

The actor playing Sally Tomato is also the voice of Fred Flintsone - every time that scene comes on that's all I think about, Yaba Dabba Doo!

#13 of 42 Doug Otte

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

• 692 posts

Posted July 08 2011 - 07:42 AM

Your explanation may not have only made the character tolerable, but actually amusing, at least unintentionally. It's one of those things in movies I otherwise love that I just overlook.

Was Mr. Yunioshi in the original novella, or did Mickey Rooney just owe a lot of back alimony to several ex-wives?

That aside, I'm expecting great things from this disc based on Paramount's track record.

Yes; Mr. Yunioshi was in the novella. He had a slightly more prominent role, and was not portrayed in a bigoted fashion. I wonder whose idea it was to make the movie character so obnoxious? It sort of seems like a Blake Edwards thing, but then Rooney might have contributed to the exaggeration. Doug

#14 of 42 Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,053 posts

Posted July 08 2011 - 09:01 AM

I wonder whose idea it was to make the movie character so obnoxious? It sort of seems like a Blake Edwards thing, but then Rooney might have contributed to the exaggeration. Doug

What a pity Edwards hadn't yet worked with Peter Sellers. Sellers played a similar kind of racial sterotype in Edwards' The Party a few years later, but beneath that, he imbued the character with a real sense of dignity and humanity - something sorely missing in Rooney's portrayal.
Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#15 of 42 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,077 posts

Posted July 08 2011 - 01:08 PM

Aside from the PC angle and what-not, I just find the characterization so off kilter to the rest of the film. If Neal's and Ebsen's and Balsam's characters were all caricatures, then maybe it would fit (you know, the romatic leads surrounded by an outrageous cast of characters, etc.). But it's like he's in a whole other film.  (The Great Race, perhaps?)  They're all in a gently satirical romantic comedy and he's in a farce.  

#16 of 42 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,855 posts

Posted July 11 2011 - 10:31 PM

Now available for preorder

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#17 of 42 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,121 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 12 2011 - 12:22 AM

Yeah, it came up over the weekend.

Crawdaddy

#18 of 42 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,121 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 12 2011 - 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by JohnMor 

Aside from the PC angle and what-not, I just find the characterization so off kilter to the rest of the film. If Neal's and Ebsen's and Balsam's characters were all caricatures, then maybe it would fit (you know, the romatic leads surrounded by an outrageous cast of characters, etc.). But it's like he's in a whole other film.  (The Great Race, perhaps?)  They're all in a gently satirical romantic comedy and he's in a farce.  

I don't know, I don't give that characterization much thought to be honest with you.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#19 of 42 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted July 12 2011 - 07:46 AM

I agree. Too tell you the truth, I forget that Mickey Rooney is even in the film until someone online mentions it or I watch the film again. It's not the part of the film that stays with me. When I think of this movie, I think of Hepburn, Peppard, Tiffany's, New York City, and "Moon River."

#20 of 42 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 5,999 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted July 13 2011 - 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by eric scott richard 

I agree. Too tell you the truth, I forget that Mickey Rooney is even in the film until someone online mentions it or I watch the film again. It's not the part of the film that stays with me. When I think of this movie, I think of Hepburn, Peppard, Tiffany's, New York City, and "Moon River."

Maybe you should tell others:

http://www.brooklynp...1_07_15_bk.html

This is just stupid. Five minutes in an over two-hour film and they want the whole thing cancelled? This is hardly "Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips" we're talking about.

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users