Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Android Gets Netflix HD.. with a catch

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,026 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted July 05 2011 - 12:12 PM

http://www.engadget....fication-texas/

First, the big news:  Android gets Netflix HD!   (Which, basically has been on iPhone/iPad, and even Windows Phone 7 for a bit)

The Catch:   It only runs on Gingerbread, not Honeycomb or earlier, 2.3.4 or better apply, but not 3.0.. and..

Oh wait..

And now we get into the Linux problem "my OS is cool!"  "Yes!"  "I've got this and that!"  "Yes.. hey, I can't get that.. what's the deal"  "Well, I'm running SuSe.."  "Oh, I'm on Mandriva, but they are both RPM based, shouldn't I get that?"  "No, because I'm kernel/step X.X, and you're X.Y"  "Ooooh.  Ok, how do I get to there from here?"  "........"

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,457 posts

Posted July 05 2011 - 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by mattCR 

The Catch:   It only runs on Gingerbread, not Honeycomb or earlier, 2.3.4 or better apply, but not 3.0.

You missed one more BIG catch -- you need an OMAP 4 device because it's the only processor that can handle the DRM.  As a matter of fact, since pretty much all OMAP 4 devices will ship  with Gingerbread, the processor is the real limitation.  So no HTC or Samsung devices need apply.  This is pretty much limited to Moto devices, and not the Tegra2 Moto devices.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,870 posts

Posted July 05 2011 - 01:33 PM

Can I run it on a rooted NC (w/ a custom ROM version of Gingerbread), which basically has the same underlying core hardware as a Droid X? Posted Image

Not that I really care since I don't do NF... Posted Image

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,519 posts

Posted July 06 2011 - 04:06 AM

It still amazes me that in an age where we have beautiful big screen TVs, people would want to watch "HD" on a 4 inch screen.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,457 posts

Posted July 06 2011 - 04:33 PM

Unfortunately, my 61" HDTV won't fit in my pocket.