-

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Announcement: Tom & Jerry Golden Collection Volume One (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

#1 of 55 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,897 posts

Posted June 28 2011 - 09:03 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 55 OFFLINE   Kevin Martinez

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted June 28 2011 - 11:58 AM

This release is doomed to be crap and everyone except for Warner's cheerleaders knows it.

#3 of 55 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,897 posts

Posted June 28 2011 - 12:06 PM

Keith,

You are making a very powerful negative statement here.

That's fine, but help me understand why you are making it.

I am not a Tom & Jerry fan at all.  However, I know there are

a lot of T&J fans that reside in this forum.

I am sort of an outsider here (which is why I am looking for

your opinion), but I am rather optimistic about this release.  I will

tell you why...

First, as I pointed out, a lot of Tom & Jerry fans in this forum.

This looks to be a collection of their famous theatrical shorts

presented in high definition for the very first time.  It also looks

like it is somewhat mirroring the DVD Spotlight collections.

I am even more optimistic about this very first HD cartoon

series release from Warner because it seems we may very

well be on our way to seeing the Looney Tunes cartoons

released to Blu-ray. 

One step at a time.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4 of 55 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,151 posts

Posted June 28 2011 - 12:41 PM

I, on the other hand, am a huge fan of the Hanna-Barbera series (not the Chuck Jones one, though) and look forward to this collection. I am hoping, however, that the few instances of censorship will be removed (mostly the Mammy stuff) and perhaps a disclaimer added to appease the politically correct.

#5 of 55 OFFLINE   MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted June 28 2011 - 02:13 PM

I myself am a little disappointed to see this announcement today, but it's because I just got the DVD releases a week ago. I know I don't "have" to double dip if I do not want to, but I wish I had more warning so I could have saved my money.

Ah well, we'll see what the reviews are. I probably will end up upgrading anyway.

So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

#6 of 55 OFFLINE   Will*B

Will*B

Second Unit

• 469 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted June 28 2011 - 02:37 PM

This looks fantastic. Have always enjoyed the Spotlight collections, despite their flaws. To finally see T&J in HD will be superb!

Let's hope additional volumes won't be too far behind.

#7 of 55 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,471 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted June 28 2011 - 03:23 PM

This release is doomed to be crap and everyone except for Warner's cheerleaders knows it.

Why? They didn't put Texas Tom as a bonus cartoon on both discs, so it has the potential to be a well thought out and produced set.

#8 of 55 OFFLINE   Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,229 posts

Posted June 28 2011 - 06:15 PM

Some details here:  http://goo.gl/jpK2Q

#9 of 55 OFFLINE   Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted June 28 2011 - 07:15 PM

While I'm very happy with this news I also feel very uncomfortable given Tom & Jerry's DVD history. There were several issues on each of the previous Spotlight Collection DVD releases (in addition to having a disappointing picture quality throughout) and not all of them have been rectified (e.g. one of the CinemaScope shorts on Volume 3 still zooms up to 1.78:1 after the opening credits). I think a wait-and-see approach is in order for this release... and I just hope I'm strong enough to actually do it this time. :)

#10 of 55 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,914 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted June 29 2011 - 01:57 AM

Posted Image Sorry for the late post a little thing called work got in the way of knowing about this till now. But like all of you I am hoping better for this set than most of you are thinking already,  Chronological,  Restored, Uncensored complete theatrical series run of Tom & Jerry

Basic Facts:  114 original Hanna–Barbera Shorts

13 Gene Dietch Originals

34 Chuck Jones Redesign Run

For the Texas Tom issue, it would need to be on the first and second volume to match what was done with the spotlight collection, and i dont think that is going to happen. I can fully understand some of the apprehension that has been stated in this thread so far,yes i have not been happy with the fact that there were some omitions,  but this is something that I have been diligently asking for since the first LT GC came out maybe longer. Ponder this that Tom and Jerry, a MGM creation is one of the best moneymakers for WB, and at present has three different titles on Blu, correction three at present with another direct to Blu the upcomming Wizard of Oz.

The read that Jerry Beck has on cartoon brew has me jumping for joy at the prospects for this run. Waiting to see what extra features we are going to get with theses sets, one would hope that the two Spike and Tyke cartoons would be extras on the Classic Hanna-Barbera final set.

All over this as soon as the pre order goes up 

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#11 of 55 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,219 posts

Posted June 29 2011 - 03:18 AM

As some of the posts indicated, the track record for the T&J releases has not been entirely good. At least two out of the three DVD sets had problems. The first set had censored versions of the shorts (involving a more P.C. voice track of Mammy Two Shoes) Warner did issue corrected discs however. The second may have had similar problems, but I don't immediately recall. One the third set, I believe, three shorts were left off due to potential ethnic issues.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#12 of 55 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,914 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted June 29 2011 - 03:39 AM

had both of the sets with the reissued disc sent in the mail, and for the longest time my signature had to call and complain about the ommision of those three titles. yes this could be what a lot of the fans have been asking for a long, long time, and the prospects that they have found some of the original negatives makes this that much better, and the mention of a volume two on CartoonBrew makes me even happier.

by the way love that coverart, classic Tom and Jerry design,

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#13 of 55 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,945 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted June 29 2011 - 03:41 AM

As some of the posts indicated, the track record for the T&J releases has not been entirely good. At least two out of the three DVD sets had problems. The first set had censored versions of the shorts (involving a more P.C. voice track of Mammy Two Shoes) Warner did issue corrected discs however. The second may have had similar problems, but I don't immediately recall. One the third set, I believe, three shorts were left off due to potential ethnic issues.

Both of the first two sets had recalled, corrected discs issued for the censored shorts on those volumes, but volume 3 did not (which is why I never purchased that volume). While I like the idea of a remastered T&J, if any of the cartoons are censored in any way, I won't be buying. Given WB's history with this franchise, I'll definitely be waiting for reviews before I even think of buying. No way I'd pre-order this!

#14 of 55 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,219 posts

Posted June 29 2011 - 03:50 AM

Both of the first two sets had recalled, corrected discs issued for the censored shorts on those volumes, but volume 3 did not (which is why I never purchased that volume)

There was never any prospect of a corrected disc for volume three because it was a conscious by Warner to leave those three shorts off the set.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#15 of 55 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,945 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted June 29 2011 - 05:19 AM

Both of the first two sets had recalled, corrected discs issued for the censored shorts on those volumes, but volume 3 did not (which is why I never purchased that volume)

There was never any prospect of a corrected disc for volume three because it was a conscious by Warner to leave those three shorts off the set.

Yes, I know that. I think they even went so far as to issue a statement that there would be no recall for the missing shorts (and the ones on set 3 that contained edits).

#16 of 55 OFFLINE   gomezfan69

gomezfan69

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted June 29 2011 - 06:16 AM

But Volume Three did have at least one short in the wrong aspect ratio. That should have been corrected. Hopefully the Blu-ray sets will be done right the first time, making any issues with the DVD's inconsequential.

#17 of 55 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,195 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted June 29 2011 - 07:14 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the problem with the DVD sets that the Family sub-division of Warner handled the release rather than the Theatrical Catalog group (which handled the Looney Tunes sets)? Or am I misremembering?

In any case, I'm looking forward to this release if handled properly.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#18 of 55 OFFLINE   Timothy E

Timothy E

Supporting Actor

• 867 posts

Posted June 29 2011 - 07:57 AM

Although I have been disappointed in the past with the way that WB has released theatrical cartoons from its library, I see some promising changes for this release:

Uncensored:  In the past, the studio has released cartoons with politically correct changes, or not at all.  Many of the shorts in the Tom & Jerry Spotlight collections had audio changes made that were inconsistent with the original releases.  The ironic thing is that I believe more people were offended by the PC changes than would have been offended if the cartoons were released with their original audio intact.  (Even Jonny Quest had 2 episodes with deleted audio in efforts to avoid offending anybody. As an aside if the studio is listening, I for one would jump at the opportunity to purchase an uncensored Jonny Quest series set on Blu-ray.)  Jerry Beck states on his blog that the studio will be including previously unreleased shorts on the chronological set no. 2.  If the studio follows through with its promise to release these cartoons complete and uncensored, I will be very happy with this set.

Chronology:  The Tom & Jerry Spotlight Collections, and the Looney Tunes collections, were not chronological.  The cartoons on those collections were provided in a seemingly random order.  A complete collection fairly demands to be viewed in chronological order.  The character designs, animation styles, and even character personalities evolved over time, and that evolution can only be seen and appreciated in chronological order.

Packaging:  I very much like the design of the package.  The artwork depicts Tom and Jerry accurately as they appeared during this era in their cartoons.  Many of Warner's previous cartoon releases have used generic modern style artwork that fails to reflect the original character designs. (See, for example, The Flintstones, Jetsons, and Jonny Quest season sets that had bland and unattractive modern designs on the packaging.  The Looney Tunes Golden Collections also had unattractive modern-style artwork.)  The fact that this packaging is consistent with the character designs of the 1940s really shows that the studio is putting some effort in here.

It appears that the studio may have learned from its mistakes in the past.  This makes it more promising that the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies may finally be released in an appropriate format in the future.

#19 of 55 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted June 29 2011 - 08:10 AM

While I like the idea of a remastered T&J, if any of the cartoons are censored in any way, I won't be buying. Given WB's history with this franchise, I'll definitely be waiting for reviews before I even think of buying. No way I'd pre-order this!

My sentiments exactly. WB does not have a good track record for any of their MGM animation releases, so count me as skeptical until one of these sets is available and full review is done. If everything is done correctly, then I will be all over this set!! Unless I'm missing something, I don't see anything that states these are completely uncut.....not even Jerry Beck mentions that. :confused: Now bring on Tex Avery!!! That would really get me excited!:D

#20 of 55 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,117 posts

Posted June 29 2011 - 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Brandon Conway 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the problem with the DVD sets that the Family sub-division of Warner handled the release rather than the Theatrical Catalog group (which handled the Looney Tunes sets)? Or am I misremembering?

Sorta, the television division handled the old Tom and Jerry releases because they were considered part of the "Hanna-Barbera Collection".

Either way the fact that Jerry Beck is supervising this is already enough to have me think that the right people are working on this this time.