Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Transformers 3

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
102 replies to this topic

#21 of 103 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,045 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 28 2011 - 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jose Martinez 

and if you feel insulted, then good.  I won't fucking apologize.

Did you insult them as I took your prior post as simply talking about your own motivation for seeing this film?

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#22 of 103 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,889 posts

Posted June 28 2011 - 04:41 PM

I think you're kidding yourself if you don't know what you're getting yourself into when you go see a Michael Bay Transformer movie. Given those lofty expectations, while the film does its best to keep the adrenaline pumping in the final hour, the first half of the film is a bit over-"written" and could have had 15 minutes cut out of Sam's job hunting subplot. .The casting of Rosie Huntington-Whiteley is distracting, as you just sort of have to accept her being shoe-horned into the film dispensing enough 411 to keep the plot going at times, which was just weird (like a record screeching to a halt when something weird just went down). The story beats are a little jarring, but let's face it, it's about transformer-on-transformer action pr0n that people come to see, and Michael Bay delivers in spades, definitely in excess. Those wondering about what the alien invasion of earth looked like for "Fallen Skies" just need to watch this movie, it'll fill in those blanks. This is a long, loud, bombastic movie featuring lots of everything (except clever writing). But still, I was entertained given my expectations. Saw it in 3D, and it wasn't too distracting in terms of following the action. I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#23 of 103 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,681 posts

Posted June 28 2011 - 04:45 PM

Decided after the last one I would never go back to see the next....and I hold to that promise. Reviews so far have not been kind. James Berardinelli's take is pretty harsh but I trust his take.

#24 of 103 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,442 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted June 28 2011 - 11:45 PM

I enjoyed the previous two Transformers and I'm looking forward to seeing the new one some time next week. Unlike some people here I know exactly what to expect from the film, just like I knew exactly what to expect from the first two. Hopefully I can catch this one in 3D.

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" -- which begins its assault Tuesday night -- will be the biggest referendum yet on 3D, which is showing sudden signs of fatigue in North America.

This past weekend, only 37% of the domestic grosses for domestic champion "Cars 2" came from 3D screens, an all-time low. Just a few months ago, a studio could count on 55% or 65% of the total gross coming from 3D.

Taking no chances, Paramount and director Michael Bay have marketed the 3D aspect of "Dark of the Moon" as much as the movie itself, which returns Shia LaBeouf in the title role. Bay has been urging theater owners to boost the 3D experience by not scrimping on certain bulbs. He's also written to fans asking them to choose the more expensive format.

As part of the studio's marketing efforts, "Dark of the Moon" is rolling out in theaters Tuesday night -- but only in 2,700 3D locations (a mix of digital 3D and Imax theaters). It's yet another way of sparking word-of-mouth and getting people to see "Dark of the Moon" in 3D.

Tracking suggests "Dark of the Moon" will rake in $150 million to $160 million through the July 4 holiday, which falls on a Monday. "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" earned $200.1 million in its five-day debut in summer 2009, but it's unclear whether the domestic box office has returned to full health and able to support such a big number.

http://beta.news.yah...-024711656.html

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#25 of 103 OFFLINE   Simon Massey

Simon Massey

Screenwriter

• 2,113 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted June 28 2011 - 11:55 PM

I think everyone on here knows exactly what to expect with this film just as everyone knew exactly what to expect for the first two. It's just some of us hope ( however misguided) that Bay might actually learn from his mistakes and you know tack on a decent story and interesting characters to his action ... Imagine that a Transformers film with great action AND a good story... Too much to ask for ??? Wouldn't that be worth getting excited about?? Wouldn't that serve to make all those action scenes even more exciting because u care ??

#26 of 103 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,442 posts

Posted June 29 2011 - 12:22 AM

Simon, the whole concept of giant sentient robots clashing and using Earth as a battlefield is so absurd that a deeper more meaningful story would be wasted on it. Wasn't this created for children decades ago?

How different would this have been in the hands of fanboy favourite director Chris Nolan? He would still need to include the requisite large scale destruction and including Morgan Freeman and Gary Oldman into the mix won't make it any less absurd. My thoughts are the only way to make this more intelligent and respectable is to make the robots silent and with no affection shown to the leading actors by the 'good' robots. Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#27 of 103 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,318 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 29 2011 - 01:33 AM

Imagine that a Transformers film with great action AND a good story...

Bay's been making movies for about 15 years and it's clear that he has no interest in delvering a good story. However, I'd be somewhat happy if he just gave me a 90 minute effects reel of robots fighting and left out the 60 wasted minutes of awful story involving the human characters (or, rather, the broad stereotypes that he calls characters).

#28 of 103 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,442 posts

Posted June 29 2011 - 03:13 AM

IMO the most unrealistic thing about the Transformers movies is goofy awkward nerd Sam Witwicky getting all the hot babes. Posted Image

Lord of the Hubs

#29 of 103 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted June 29 2011 - 05:37 AM

Speaking of what to expect. . .for those who have seen it, what's your opinion of the violence? My son (almost 6) loved the first two and is PSYCHED to see this one, but from what I hear, the violence is amped way up. There was almost no blood in the other movies, but it sounds like there's more human carnage this time. Without dropping any spoilers, how rough is it? I don't really want to pay to see it twice (so I can screen it ahead of time), but my son will be very disappointed if I don't take him to see it. I'm hoping to be able to make a reasonable decision based on word of mouth.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#30 of 103 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,889 posts

Posted June 29 2011 - 05:44 AM

There is some vaporization of humans (or just the bones remain from the blasts from the bots).

#31 of 103 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted June 29 2011 - 07:05 AM

Yeah, I'm in too.  I don't care how negative the reviews are.  This is one of those movies where you check in your brain at the door and just let yourself have fun.

Exactly. Most "professional" reviewers hate Bay with a passion anyway so their opinion on this film isn't really credible as far as I'm concerned. What matters is the actual moviegoer's experience when seeing this film and I'm betting that most will feel they're getting their money's worth. Hell, an hour long battle that basically destroys the entire city of Chicago is all I need to hear to get me in the theater. Look, I thought the second one sucked just as much as everyone else, but it doesn't mean I'll boycott the new film because of it. This looks to be EXACTLY what a big summer popcorn blockbuster should be and I can't wait to check it out.
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#32 of 103 OFFLINE   Simon Massey

Simon Massey

Screenwriter

• 2,113 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted June 29 2011 - 07:50 AM

You know Steve there a plenty of ludicrous summer popcorn films about dinosaurs being brought back to life or mutants with special powers or robots travelling back in time to destroy humanity and Im not going to suggest that these films are flawless in terms of characters and story but at the very least they make the effort to make you care and all succeed in their various ways to a point. Pixar managed to make me care a hell of a lot about a robot and he didnt even have to speak!!! Sure I cant stand Bay anymore but thats because he doesnt even make the effort with his story and his characters are quite frankly bloody awful. The Rock is regarded as one of his better effort because there is actually some attempt to make you care or tell a story (see Ed Harris character as a good example). Does anyone actually like any of the human characters in Transformers ?? three films in, have any of them developed at all since the first film ? Have any of the robot characters ?. I didn particularly like Avatar but hell at least Cameron tried to tell a story even if it was ripped from plenty of other films. I couldnt even begin to describe what happens in either Transformers film except I remember there was some cube that was supposed to be powerful and everyone wanted it. I loved Transformers as a child too and woudl love to see a decent film with them. It just hasnt been made yet. Guess that is why I get annoyed with these Bay version. The best anyone can say about this film is that the last hour is a great action sequence. Ok so why bother with the rest ? Why not just make a 2hour special effects reel showcasing the destruction of Chicago ? Robots land, fight it out and thats it. Checking your brain at the door and paying money to see this unfortuantely means more of the same next time. How many different ways can robots fight each other before you get bored ?

#33 of 103 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,889 posts

Posted June 29 2011 - 08:57 AM

I was caught off-guard when my crowd erupted with applause when the end credit started rolling. They were pretty into it. I suspect word-of-mouth amongst the general public (the younger demographic) will be positive.

#34 of 103 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,045 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 29 2011 - 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Patrick Sun 

I was caught off-guard when my crowd erupted with applause when the end credit started rolling. They were pretty into it. I suspect word-of-mouth amongst the general public (the younger demographic) will be positive.

Patrick,

Does it matter if you view this film in 2D or 3D?

Does anybody know if it was filmed at all in IMAX or is it nothing, but another gimmick by the movie chains and studios to get you to buy their most expensive ticket.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#35 of 103 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,318 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 29 2011 - 11:31 AM

The same thing happened when I saw Transformers 2. While I didn't like it, I'm sure not going to try to pretend that the internet's opinion of Michael Bay's movies is even remotely representative of the real world's opinion of them.

#36 of 103 OFFLINE   Cory S.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts

Posted June 29 2011 - 11:50 AM

So let me get this right; Megatron, from the first film, wanted the All Spark to transform human technology and take over Earth. That's Sam's and the Autobots assumption from the first film. But, as we learned in the second film, he was actually a Seeker amongst many Seekers working for the Fallen. Megatron was sent to find the All Spark so the Fallen could use it to find the location of the Matrix of Leadership in order to reactivate the Sun Harvester. With it, the Fallen and Megatron could destroy the Earth's Sun, harvest it's energy and rebuild Cybertron. So far so good right? But, Bay and Kruger decide that all of that was bull**** so they devise a plot that says that Megatron was ALSO plotting with Sentinel Prime during the Cyberton War that would use new technology that only Prime can use that would bring Cyberton into Earth's orbit, harvest the Earth's natural resources and then use humans as slaves to rebuild Cybertron. Oh and that bull**** about Optimus Prime being the last of the Primes was also **** because there's actually one more on the Moon. I'm a big Bay apologist but even I can't buy the damn plot to this film. He basically retconned his first two films with this picture.
"Because he's the hero Gotham deserves.  But, not the one it needs right now.  So, we'll hunt.  Because he can take.  Because, he's not a hero.  He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector.  A DARK KNIGHT."

#37 of 103 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,996 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted June 29 2011 - 11:56 AM

So I am glutton for punishment. While not as actively insulting and stupid as Part 2, I found myself frequently bored, including during the big action finale. It was well shot, the 3D added depth, and individual choreography was good...but the overall impression was incoherence. The geography and motivations made little sense. As with Part 2, there was very little connective tissue. I went for the mayhem, but by the time it mercifully arrived, I was basically checked out, wondering what would be good for dinner and when would it end. And to top it off, the best action shots were already in the trailer for the most part. The story was basic garbage, but I don't hold that against the film. I did chuckle a few times, and a couple of scenes worked OK. Bay still has a gorgeous and gifted eye for "in the moment" visuals. And it is always nice to see McDormand. Always. It reminded me far more of the second film than the first. I expected many things, including plenty of negatives. But I was surprised at how bored I was. But I'm still a sucker for giant robots doing God of War finishing moves on one another. Unfortunately that accounts for about 1% of the running time.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#38 of 103 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,889 posts

Posted June 29 2011 - 05:53 PM

Patrick,

Does it matter if you view this film in 2D or 3D? 

Does anybody know if it was filmed at all in IMAX or is it nothing, but another gimmick by the movie chains and studios to get you to buy their most expensive ticket.

I saw it in 3D, it was filmed with the Cameron-Pace 3D cameras used on Avatar, and the 3D looked more natural than the upconverted 3D that has mired the 3D product in cinemas for the past 18 months. If you see it on IMAX, it's probably been DMR'd in its 3D presentation. I didn't mind the 3D (my theater had bright projection for the film, so no complaints on dimness while wearing the glasses, and I didn't experience fatigue from the 3D, but I rarely do). It's up to you if you think the $3-$5 premium for RealD, or up to $10 more for Imax 3D is worth it. I try to avoid films in 3D that are just upconversions (I didn't like what I saw of the Captain America trailer in 3D, shown before TF 3D).

#39 of 103 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,021 posts

Posted June 29 2011 - 06:13 PM

I decided to go and watch transformers 3. I am not a transformers fan nor a michael bay fan. I mostly went because of the 3d. the 3d was impressive. I still liked the 3d in avatar and tron more. I was not expecting much from it. I came out of it with liking it alot more then I thought I was going to be. I was able to follow the plot. the parents were less annoying in this one. the chick was better then megan fox. there you go. I liked it better then 1 and 2. Jacob

#40 of 103 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted June 29 2011 - 09:46 PM

I find it very odd that some can't recall the presence of a comprehensive storyline in these films yet I can? One may not like what Bay did in terms of story but that's a big difference from the films not containing one altogether.
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan