-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

USHE Press Release: Jurassic Park Ultimate Trilogy (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
58 replies to this topic

#21 of 59 Barton Lynch

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted June 27 2011 - 09:21 AM

I'm in with many here. I love the first one to death as it's a timeless classic well done for the sake of art... the other sequels... they suck so hard it could blow the gravitational force of a black hole out of the water. I hope they release a digibook of the first movie like they did with The Matrix (though I bought the Ultimate box nonetheless) as I plan not to buy the trilogy. Just give me the first one please...

Barton Lynch
...nothing can stop me now

#22 of 59 Jeff F.

Jeff F.

Stunt Coordinator

• 162 posts

Posted June 27 2011 - 11:33 AM

What is the price of the set?

#23 of 59 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,314 posts

Posted June 27 2011 - 11:38 AM

What is the price of the set?

Jeff, I don't think they have announced
pricing yet.  Still waiting for these sets to

appear on Amazon.  Stay Tuned....

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#24 of 59 AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted June 27 2011 - 07:07 PM

Quote:

Now, all three epic films have been digitally restored and remastered in flawless high definition for the ultimate viewing experience.

Reading that from Universal always makes me worry. I just got the BTTF trilogy for $15, and considering the results, I think that was the right price for the set.

Hopefully Spielberg's clout will force them to do it right.  If they do a good job with it, I'd be interested in the first one, mostly because of the historical significance of the special effects.

#25 of 59 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,702 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted June 27 2011 - 11:45 PM

At least this time I can buy a plastic toy dino and not get stares.

I'm in!

Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#26 of 59 Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,186 posts

Posted June 28 2011 - 12:56 AM

All three of these movies are on my "must own on Blu" list, so I'll probably be pre-ordering as soon as Amazon posts it up!

It's kinda' *shocking* to me, though, that we're getting Spielberg's self-avowed "Jaws" sequel, *before* the Real Thing!

Joseph
---------------

#27 of 59 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,314 posts

Posted June 28 2011 - 05:18 AM

Ronald J Epstein

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#28 of 59 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,932 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted June 28 2011 - 05:40 AM

The YouTube trailer doesn't look waxy, and given the likelihood that Spielberg will be personally involved with the transfers in the same way as CE3K, I'm not worried.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#29 of 59 johnSM

johnSM

Second Unit

• 431 posts

Posted June 28 2011 - 06:17 AM

I gotsta say, I've never quite understood the love/praise heaped upon the first Jurassic Park, beyond the fact it was the first to believably portray CGI dinosaurs on the big screen. Don't get me wrong I think it was a damn fine popcorn flick with some nice moments and set pieces in it, but I always thought the pacing was off, and Spielberg's heart wasn't entirely in it (not surprising in that he was also working on Schindler's List at the same time). The first hour really drags too and as for those kids......! At times it really does feel like a theme-park ride too (the irony!), instead of a movie. I greatly preferred the original novel which was paced a lot better.

I much preferred the sequel - the pacing was far better, and it contained some absolutely classic Spielberg moments for me i.e. the whole van dangling off the cliff with Julianne Moore (hmmm!) trying not to move and crack the glass. Brilliant suspenseful moment which was pure Spielberg through and through - a very hitchcockian flavor too! Loved the effects and it just felt like a more exciting and visually spectacular film to me - and I love the huge wink/homage to Kong and Godzilla at the end of the film with T-Rex stomping and chomping its way through San Diago. There's also a scene with Japanese tourists looking on at T-Rex - it's obvious where this film is coming from and I love it's B-movie throwback moments - Jurassic Park comparatively took itself a little too seriously in places. I also preferred this film being centered around Malcolm and - frankly - thought Sam Neil's character was a little dull in the previous film. I also loved what John Williams did with this score, sending it in an almost jazzy direction at times. Perhaps it lacks the almost stately reverence to dinosaurs (at least when they're first viewed in the film) displayed in the first film, but The Lost World is a gloriously OTT, FUN film with it's tongue stuck firmly in cheek. I'm not claiming The Lost World is a masterpiece or anything like that, but I just think it's far more fun than the - at times - ponderous first film. There's no pretension there it's just a great ride!

I still haven't seen Jurassic Park III, but it looks pretty decent from the trailers I've seen. Anyone care to comment on its merits/demerits?

I think I'll have to get this set once it's down around the £30 mark here in the UK.

#30 of 59 Ted Van Duyn

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted June 28 2011 - 07:59 AM

I'll pick up the whole set. Loved the first one, loathed the second one, and I was quite surprised by how much I enjoyed the third one.

I think the problem with the second movie are the leading characters. The film is written to portray Malcolm and his company as the good guys who are morally superior to the EVIL CORPORATION Ingen, yet they constantly do things that make matters worse which ends up getting a lot of people getting killed. What was Ingen doing that was so evil that it's worth jeopardizing the lives of all those people? Oh, they were just capturing dinosaurs to put in a zoo.... Isn't that what we still do today?

Part III was a refresher. I loved Grant's line when he's trying to answer questions at his presentation. "Are there any questions that don't involve Jurassic Park? Or the incident in San Diego, which I did not witness." And thank god you didn't Grant.

#31 of 59 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,032 posts

Posted June 28 2011 - 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Ted Van Duyn 

they were just capturing dinosaurs to put in a zoo.... Isn't that what we still do today?

Not exactly. Posted Image

#32 of 59 Jeff F.

Jeff F.

Stunt Coordinator

• 162 posts

Posted June 28 2011 - 10:59 AM

Jeff, I don't think they have announced 

pricing yet.  Still waiting for these sets to

appear on Amazon.  Stay Tuned....

Thanks.

#33 of 59 Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted June 28 2011 - 02:59 PM

Definite buy if for no other reason than to feel the house shake!!

#34 of 59 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,090 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted June 28 2011 - 03:36 PM

I'm very happy this is coming out finally. I've enjoyed all 3 films but don't consider any of them up to the quality of say, Raiders of the Lost Ark. However, I've been a lifelong sucker for dinos on the screen (starting with Harryhausen) and will be buying this set. However, I think I will employ some of Spielberg's strategy of waiting for blu-ray to be big enough before releasing JP. I'll wait until the set fits my wallet. I don't expect the $15 that BTTF trilogy sold at. These films are more recent and were bigger box office. I blew my lifetime budget for special packaging on the Alien Egg, so I'll just go for the standard packaging. Besides, that T-Rex looks a little cheesy. I recently watched JP in HD and even though years have passed, the dinos look damn real to me.:)
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#35 of 59 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,650 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted June 29 2011 - 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnSM 
I much preferred the sequel - the pacing was far better, and it contained some absolutely classic Spielberg moments for me i.e. the whole van dangling off the cliff with Julianne Moore (hmmm!) trying not to move and crack the glass. Brilliant suspenseful moment which was pure Spielberg through and through - a very hitchcockian flavor too! Loved the effects and it just felt like a more exciting and visually spectacular film to me - and I love the huge wink/homage to Kong and Godzilla at the end of the film with T-Rex stomping and chomping its way through San Diago. There's also a scene with Japanese tourists looking on at T-Rex - it's obvious where this film is coming from and I love it's B-movie throwback moments - Jurassic Park comparatively took itself a little too seriously in places. I also preferred this film being centered around Malcolm and - frankly - thought Sam Neil's character was a little dull in the previous film. I also loved what John Williams did with this score, sending it in an almost jazzy direction at times. Perhaps it lacks the almost stately reverence to dinosaurs (at least when they're first viewed in the film) displayed in the first film, but The Lost World is a gloriously OTT, FUN film with it's tongue stuck firmly in cheek. I'm not claiming The Lost World is a masterpiece or anything like that, but I just think it's far more fun than the - at times - ponderous first film. There's no pretension there it's just a great ride!

TLW is a fine movie-not great or anything, but enjoyable-until we hit San Diego.  Then it just turns into a mess for me.  I don't care if it's a King Kong homage or whatever else: why on earth would you think bringing a T Rex to a populated area is a good idea?  What happened at both Jurassic Park and Site B should be common knowledge for these people by now.  It makes no good sense on any level.  Then the movie just devolves into one bad scene after another.  The Japanese tourists in the street.  The kid screaming about a dinosaur and the parents not believing him.  The dog by the pool.  If I could turn the movie off before San Diego, it would be far better.

In terms of JP III...I go back and forth on it.  There are incredibly stupid parts but then there are things that pull me in every time.  I think the climax is rushed and some of the humor is misplaced, but I don't think it's a terrible movie.  Certainly nothing groan-inducing (for me) like the second.  And it manages to recapture the sense of wonder that we got in the first movie.  (The Spinosaurus, though, does look fake in a couple shots.)

#36 of 59 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,090 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted June 29 2011 - 03:01 AM

There is one thing I hated about JPIII. I grew up with the TRex as the king of the dinosaurs. I'm not arguing that is correct now, but it's what has been ingrained in me. The way the TRex was so easily dispatched felt like a slap in the face. I felt like a young generation of film makers was insulting my dinosaur hero.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#37 of 59 WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,217 posts

Posted June 29 2011 - 03:45 AM

I'll pick up the whole set. Loved the first one, loathed the second one, and I was quite surprised by how much I enjoyed the third one. I think the problem with the second movie are the leading characters. The film is written to portray Malcolm and his company as the good guys who are morally superior to the EVIL CORPORATION Ingen, yet they constantly do things that make matters worse which ends up getting a lot of people getting killed. What was Ingen doing that was so evil that it's worth jeopardizing the lives of all those people? Oh, they were just capturing dinosaurs to put in a zoo.... Isn't that what we still do today? Part III was a refresher. I loved Grant's line when he's trying to answer questions at his presentation. "Are there any questions that don't involve Jurassic Park? Or the incident in San Diego, which I did not witness." And thank god you didn't Grant.

Here are my thoughts on TLW from a recent discussion in the Movies section TLW was enraging in how bafflingly stupid the characters were (especially the Julianne Moore character who was supposed to be an experienced outdoorsman, who somehow broke every maxim and warning that she preached) I'm lucky I don't have permanently detached retinas from how far my eyes rolled back into my head with the whole "environmentalists" = good, noble people who are shown to be shocked and sickened by the "rape" of nature at the hands of the eeeeeeeevvvvvvvvviiiiiiillllllllllllll corporation guys (who created and own the dinosaurs to begin with). And the sad thing is that, it's the good guys that caused that caused pretty much all the shit that went down in the first place (especially the Vince Vaughn character who's acts of sabotage directly lead to injury and death, but is ok and all because he's an environmentalist "good guy". So who cares if the people who died as a result of his actions had wives, children or other loved ones) Also what I found to be offensive was when Ludlowe was eaten alive by the baby T-Rex, and it was portrayed as triumphant for the parent T-Rex and an audience pleasing moment. And the thing is that other than being an "eeeeevviiilllllllll" Capitalist, Ludlowe really never did anything wrong. At least the third mostly did away with that nonsense and focused more on simple dinosaur action (although I'm not sure if I'm buying into that whole super intelligent Raptor thing)
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#38 of 59 Pete-D

Pete-D

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted June 29 2011 - 06:27 AM

The second one had some cool moments like the trailer attack and the Raptors hunting the humans in the high grass (overhead shot was great), but the movie jumped the shark when the T-Rex gets loose in San Diego. Just way too silly. The first one had a consistent tone of wonder mixed with terror, it's one of the best summer blockbusters of the last 20 years easily IMO. The John Williams score for the first movie is pitch perfect too, the second one had a quirkier score but it always sounded "off" to me. Will be buying on day 1 for sure.

#39 of 59 DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,466 posts

Posted June 29 2011 - 09:09 AM

Pete and Will you have done a fine job summarizing my feelings for TLW. The source material is also weaker than the original. It seemed to be a rush job by Crichton and it is obvious that he wrote it with the visuals in mind.

#40 of 59 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,314 posts

Posted June 29 2011 - 09:18 AM

Jurassic Park sets now available for preorder on Amazon!

Folks, it you don't mind, use the links below.  Costs the

same but supports the forum.  Thanks!

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Ronald J Epstein