What's new

Suits (1 Viewer)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I don't know if anyone else caught the premiere of this show on USA. Didn't really hear much about it, until the day it premiered. And looking at the cast, I only knew 2 of them.

And from what I see in the Pilot, I like it so far. Probably typical of a USA show, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I see it as a cross between Psych and White Collar.

Seems like Rick Hoffman is stuck playing annoying characters.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I watched the premiere, and enjoyed it. I'm willing to ignore the hyperbole and oversights regarding the legal profession, as it made for some entertaining TV.

I liked the leads and the supporting cast, and the clothing was top-notch.

I'll be tuning in for the season.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It was better then I expected. I don't know if I buy the concept, but I will give it a chance. It looks like it will be a "case of the week" kind of show.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
After watching the 2nd episode, I like this show even more. Looks like USA has another winner in its hands.

Just one thing... no more Louis in a towel!

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Along with the few fellow posters here, I also like this show. "Raising the Bar" was also well done, but dropped after two short seasons. Hopefully they'll give this a little more of a chance, My only problem with the show is the young, photographic memory character. He's not really a lawyer is he? That seems to be a huge glaring hole that would open the firm up to loads of litigation, cases thrown out or retried, etc. Just helping out at the firm is fine, but hasn't he crossed a line that goes way beyond illegal? Obviously we overlook a lot when it comes to television and movies, but this seems a bit of a stretch.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
They cover that he has actually passed the bar. So, that would somewhat address that. But yes, there are some issues.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have overall enjoyed the episodes I've watched, at least enough to continue viewing, but there are irritating aspects of the show: the snideness and back-stabbing get tiresome after a while, and everyone (even the secretaries) is just a bit too cocky for my taste. I find it hard sometimes to have a genuine rooting interest even though I know whom they're pushing me to pull for.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
The arrogance of the characters doesn't really bother me much. And deep down, we see that Harvey who really does care, but doesn't want to really show it to his co-workers. And it showed when he really went out on a limb, bailing Trevor out of trouble. Although how it was done, just seemed too much out there, but hey, it's a USA show.

Hopefully, this is the end of the Trevor storyline. And I hope we see more of Donna (the red-headed secretary).

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Originally Posted by mattCR

They cover that he has actually passed the bar. So, that would somewhat address that. But yes, there are some issues.

I know he was taking and passing the bar for others, but did he ever pass it in his name? I don't recall that. I do know that you don't have to go to law school to pass the bar, it just helps.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Mark_B

I know he was taking and passing the bar for others, but did he ever pass it in his name? I don't recall that. I do know that you don't have to go to law school to pass the bar, it just helps.

*Disclaimer*: I'm a law student in Canada, not the US, so my knowledge of the various State bar requirements is based on the limited info I have lying around.

This isn't quite correct (at least in almost all of the states, it isn't). Virtually every state requires graduation from an ABA-accredited law school--Alabama, California, and Connecticut are exceptions (there are a few more exceptions. Some states allow non-ABA-accredited schools (including California, which is always the exception).

Further, some states--and this is where NY falls--do indeed allow you to sit the bar exam without a law degree, but generally require at least some study under a lawyer or judge, or in law school. NY, for example, requires at least 1 year of study at an ABA-accredited law school (though not graduation).

Moreover, all states have an all-important character fitness requirement, which ranges from an in-depth analysis of the lawyer's background and character, to a questionaire.

Ultimately, it's almost completely unbelievable that he could successfully dupe the law firm and the courts to the extent he has on the show. I say almost, because it's probably happened in real life, as people are faking credentials all the time. Sneaking past the NY bar, though, would be pretty remarkable.

The most workable explanation would be for the character to have one year of law school, and *then* drop out, sit the bar (and pass, of course), and then somehow whisk his way past the rest of the requirements.

That all being said, I still really enjoy the show, and I'm able to look past all of the "wrongs" it has.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Josh Dial

*Disclaimer*: I'm a law student in Canada, not the US, so my knowledge of the various State bar requirements is based on the limited info I have lying around.

This isn't quite correct (at least in almost all of the states, it isn't). Virtually every state requires graduation from an ABA-accredited law school--Alabama, California, and Connecticut are exceptions (there are a few more exceptions. Some states allow non-ABA-accredited schools (including California, which is always the exception).

Further, some states--and this is where NY falls--do indeed allow you to sit the bar exam without a law degree, but generally require at least some study under a lawyer or judge, or in law school. NY, for example, requires at least 1 year of study at an ABA-accredited law school (though not graduation).

Moreover, all states have an all-important character fitness requirement, which ranges from an in-depth analysis of the lawyer's background and character, to a questionaire.

Ultimately, it's almost completely unbelievable that he could successfully dupe the law firm and the courts to the extent he has on the show. I say almost, because it's probably happened in real life, as people are faking credentials all the time. Sneaking past the NY bar, though, would be pretty remarkable.

The most workable explanation would be for the character to have one year of law school, and *then* drop out, sit the bar (and pass, of course), and then somehow whisk his way past the rest of the requirements.

That all being said, I still really enjoy the show, and I'm able to look past all of the "wrongs" it has.

They covered in the first year that he had more then one year. He had been going to some university and it was "the right track for him" and then something happened with his friend, and he went to fix his problems and never got back. He pleaded with the attorney in the first episode that he was "trying to get his life back on track"

So, I'm betting he had 2 years+ at a basic state level school. His best approach now, really, would be to get a fellowship to a university and work through the program at nights or just enroll in the classes and take the tests if he can pass straight out.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by mattCR

They covered in the first year that he had more then one year. He had been going to some university and it was "the right track for him" and then something happened with his friend, and he went to fix his problems and never got back. He pleaded with the attorney in the first episode that he was "trying to get his life back on track"

So, I'm betting he had 2 years+ at a basic state level school. His best approach now, really, would be to get a fellowship to a university and work through the program at nights or just enroll in the classes and take the tests if he can pass straight out.

He would need at least one year at a law school, not two years of undergrad, which, I think, is what the show established he had (I may be wrong, though).

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I think Mike got kicked out after getting in trouble at the university he was attending, and hasn't been able to get back in since then. Plus that he would have had a very hard time paying for the education, since he is also making sure his grandmother stays in a nice nursing home.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Walter C said:
I think Mike got kicked out after getting in trouble at the university he was attending, and hasn't been able to get back in since then. Plus that he would have had a very hard time paying for the education, since he is also making sure his grandmother stays in a nice nursing home.
He memorized a test and sold it to the dean's daughter and then was kicked out.

Spero D

Second Unit
Actually enjoying this show, though I can see it start to get repetative. It's look The Good Wife Lite :)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
So glad for the pickup, as it has become one of my favorites. Next season will be 16 episodes next season, no doubt that it will be divided the same way as the other USA shows are.

Gina Torres is finally in a hit show as a regular.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I'm glad his hacker "friend" added him to the Harvard DB. I'm suprised that without that he has maintained his cover for this long. Overall I am enjoyin this series and am glad to see it picked up for S2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks