-

Jump to content



Sign up for a free account!

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Suits


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 Walter C

Walter C

    Screenwriter

  • 2,157 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 17 2006
  • Real Name:Walter

Posted June 26 2011 - 11:51 PM

I don't know if anyone else caught the premiere of this show on USA. Didn't really hear much about it, until the day it premiered. And looking at the cast, I only knew 2 of them.


And from what I see in the Pilot, I like it so far. Probably typical of a USA show, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I see it as a cross between Psych and White Collar.


Seems like Rick Hoffman is stuck playing annoying characters.


TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - August
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)


#2 of 24 Josh Dial

Josh Dial

    Screenwriter

  • 2,583 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 02 2000

Posted June 27 2011 - 03:54 AM

I watched the premiere, and enjoyed it.  I'm willing to ignore the hyperbole and oversights regarding the legal profession, as it made for some entertaining TV.


I liked the leads and the supporting cast, and the clothing was top-notch.


I'll be tuning in for the season.



#3 of 24 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

    Screenwriter

  • 1,581 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 22 2001

Posted June 28 2011 - 02:44 AM

I thought it was pretty good, I will watch the rest of the season.


I have seen Larry David in action, and that man is an animal, and he has to be stopped.

#4 of 24 mattCR

mattCR

    Lead Actor

  • 9,998 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 05 2005
  • Real Name:Matt
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted June 28 2011 - 12:07 PM

It was better then I expected.   I don't know if I buy the concept, but I will give it a chance.   It looks like it will be a "case of the week" kind of show.


trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3


#5 of 24 Walter C

Walter C

    Screenwriter

  • 2,157 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 17 2006
  • Real Name:Walter

Posted July 06 2011 - 11:57 AM

After watching the 2nd episode, I like this show even more. Looks like USA has another winner in its hands.

Just one thing... no more Louis in a towel!


TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - August
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)


#6 of 24 mattCR

mattCR

    Lead Actor

  • 9,998 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 05 2005
  • Real Name:Matt
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted July 06 2011 - 01:06 PM

Yeah, it's turned into a pretty fun little show.   As long as they keep this up, I'll stick around


trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3


#7 of 24 Stan

Stan

    Screenwriter

  • 2,083 posts
  • Join Date: May 18 1999

Posted July 22 2011 - 07:15 AM

Along with the few fellow posters here, I also like this show. "Raising the Bar" was also well done, but dropped after two short seasons. Hopefully they'll give this a little more of a chance, My only problem with the show is the young, photographic memory character. He's not really a lawyer is he? That seems to be a huge glaring hole that would open the firm up to loads of litigation, cases thrown out or retried, etc. Just helping out at the firm is fine, but hasn't he crossed a line that goes way beyond illegal? Obviously we overlook a lot when it comes to television and movies, but this seems a bit of a stretch.
Stan

#8 of 24 mattCR

mattCR

    Lead Actor

  • 9,998 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 05 2005
  • Real Name:Matt
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted July 22 2011 - 07:28 AM

They cover that he has actually passed the bar.  So, that would somewhat address that.   But yes, there are some issues.


trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3


#9 of 24 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

    Executive Producer

  • 10,880 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 24 2006
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 22 2011 - 02:37 PM

I have overall enjoyed the episodes I've watched, at least enough to continue viewing, but there are irritating aspects of the show: the snideness and back-stabbing get tiresome after a while, and everyone (even the secretaries) is just a bit too cocky for my taste. I find it hard sometimes to have a genuine rooting interest even though I know whom they're pushing me to pull for.



#10 of 24 Walter C

Walter C

    Screenwriter

  • 2,157 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 17 2006
  • Real Name:Walter

Posted July 24 2011 - 07:38 AM

The arrogance of the characters doesn't really bother me much. And deep down, we see that Harvey who really does care, but doesn't want to really show it to his co-workers. And it showed when he really went out on a limb, bailing Trevor out of trouble. Although how it was done, just seemed too much out there, but hey, it's a USA show.

Hopefully, this is the end of the Trevor storyline. And I hope we see more of Donna (the red-headed secretary). Posted Image


TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - August
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)


#11 of 24 Mark_B

Mark_B

    Second Unit

  • 282 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 22 1999
  • Real Name:Mark
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted July 24 2011 - 11:38 PM



Originally Posted by mattCR 

They cover that he has actually passed the bar.  So, that would somewhat address that.   But yes, there are some issues.



I know he was taking and passing the bar for others, but did he ever pass it in his name? I don't recall that. I do know that you don't have to go to law school to pass the bar, it just helps.



#12 of 24 Josh Dial

Josh Dial

    Screenwriter

  • 2,583 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 02 2000

Posted July 25 2011 - 05:35 AM



Originally Posted by Mark_B 





I know he was taking and passing the bar for others, but did he ever pass it in his name? I don't recall that. I do know that you don't have to go to law school to pass the bar, it just helps.


*Disclaimer*: I'm a law student in Canada, not the US, so my knowledge of the various State bar requirements is based on the limited info I have lying around.



This isn't quite correct (at least in almost all of the states, it isn't).  Virtually every state requires graduation from an ABA-accredited law school--Alabama, California, and Connecticut are exceptions (there are a few more exceptions.  Some states allow non-ABA-accredited schools (including California, which is always the exception).


Further, some states--and this is where NY falls--do indeed allow you to sit the bar exam without a law degree, but generally require at least some study under a lawyer or judge, or in law school.  NY, for example, requires at least 1 year of study at an ABA-accredited law school (though not graduation).


Moreover, all states have an all-important character fitness requirement, which ranges from an in-depth analysis of the lawyer's background and character, to a questionaire.


Ultimately, it's almost completely unbelievable that he could successfully dupe the law firm and the courts to the extent he has on the show.  I say almost, because it's probably happened in real life, as people are faking credentials all the time.  Sneaking past the NY bar, though, would be pretty remarkable.


The most workable explanation would be for the character to have one year of law school, and *then* drop out, sit the bar (and pass, of course), and then somehow whisk his way past the rest of the requirements.


That all being said, I still really enjoy the show, and I'm able to look past all of the "wrongs" it has.



#13 of 24 mattCR

mattCR

    Lead Actor

  • 9,998 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 05 2005
  • Real Name:Matt
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted July 25 2011 - 05:52 AM



Originally Posted by Josh Dial 




*Disclaimer*: I'm a law student in Canada, not the US, so my knowledge of the various State bar requirements is based on the limited info I have lying around.



This isn't quite correct (at least in almost all of the states, it isn't).  Virtually every state requires graduation from an ABA-accredited law school--Alabama, California, and Connecticut are exceptions (there are a few more exceptions.  Some states allow non-ABA-accredited schools (including California, which is always the exception).


Further, some states--and this is where NY falls--do indeed allow you to sit the bar exam without a law degree, but generally require at least some study under a lawyer or judge, or in law school.  NY, for example, requires at least 1 year of study at an ABA-accredited law school (though not graduation).


Moreover, all states have an all-important character fitness requirement, which ranges from an in-depth analysis of the lawyer's background and character, to a questionaire.


Ultimately, it's almost completely unbelievable that he could successfully dupe the law firm and the courts to the extent he has on the show.  I say almost, because it's probably happened in real life, as people are faking credentials all the time.  Sneaking past the NY bar, though, would be pretty remarkable.


The most workable explanation would be for the character to have one year of law school, and *then* drop out, sit the bar (and pass, of course), and then somehow whisk his way past the rest of the requirements.


That all being said, I still really enjoy the show, and I'm able to look past all of the "wrongs" it has.


They covered in the first year that he had more then one year.   He had been going to some university and it was "the right track for him" and then something happened with his friend, and he went to fix his problems and never got back.  He pleaded with the attorney in the first episode that he was "trying to get his life back on track"


So, I'm betting he had 2 years+ at a basic state level school.   His best approach now, really, would be to get a fellowship to a university and work through the program at nights or just enroll in the classes and take the tests if he can pass straight out.



trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3


#14 of 24 Josh Dial

Josh Dial

    Screenwriter

  • 2,583 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 02 2000

Posted July 25 2011 - 06:54 AM



Originally Posted by mattCR 




They covered in the first year that he had more then one year.   He had been going to some university and it was "the right track for him" and then something happened with his friend, and he went to fix his problems and never got back.  He pleaded with the attorney in the first episode that he was "trying to get his life back on track"


So, I'm betting he had 2 years+ at a basic state level school.   His best approach now, really, would be to get a fellowship to a university and work through the program at nights or just enroll in the classes and take the tests if he can pass straight out.




He would need at least one year at a law school, not two years of undergrad, which, I think, is what the show established he had (I may be wrong, though).



#15 of 24 Walter C

Walter C

    Screenwriter

  • 2,157 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 17 2006
  • Real Name:Walter

Posted July 26 2011 - 03:54 AM

I think Mike got kicked out after getting in trouble at the university he was attending, and hasn't been able to get back in since then. Plus that he would have had a very hard time paying for the education, since he is also making sure his grandmother stays in a nice nursing home.


TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - August
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)


#16 of 24 KevinGress

KevinGress

    Supporting Actor

  • 607 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 24 2005

Posted July 26 2011 - 05:18 AM

I think Mike got kicked out after getting in trouble at the university he was attending, and hasn't been able to get back in since then. Plus that he would have had a very hard time paying for the education, since he is also making sure his grandmother stays in a nice nursing home.

He memorized a test and sold it to the dean's daughter and then was kicked out.

#17 of 24 Spero D

Spero D

    Second Unit

  • 490 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 23 2000

Posted August 02 2011 - 07:44 PM

Actually enjoying this show, though I can see it start to get repetative. It's look The Good Wife Lite :)

#18 of 24 mattCR

mattCR

    Lead Actor

  • 9,998 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 05 2005
  • Real Name:Matt
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted August 11 2011 - 04:01 AM

Picked up for season 2


trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3


#19 of 24 Walter C

Walter C

    Screenwriter

  • 2,157 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 17 2006
  • Real Name:Walter

Posted August 11 2011 - 12:27 PM

So glad for the pickup, as it has become one of my favorites. Next season will be 16 episodes next season, no doubt that it will be divided the same way as the other USA shows are.


Gina Torres is finally in a hit show as a regular.


TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - August
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)


#20 of 24 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

    Executive Producer

  • 14,716 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 20 1999
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted August 13 2011 - 03:39 AM

I'm glad his hacker "friend" added him to the Harvard DB.  I'm suprised that without that he has maintained his cover for this long.  Overall I am enjoyin this series and am glad to see it picked up for S2.