Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
600x342px-LL-MikesRoundUp.jpg

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]The Features[/COLOR]

2164fdcc_LotRTrilogy.jpg

– The Lord of the Rings Motion Picture Trilogy – 2001/2002/2003

72c3b9f8_2011-Emily-Browning-and-Abbie-Cornish-Sucker-Punch.jpg

– Emily Browning & Abbie Cornish (Sucker Punch – 2011)

f18b9037_2010twwkatebosworth.jpg

–Kate Bosworth (The Warrior's Way – 2010)

fba00921_1991-SLEEPING-WITH-THE-ENEMYjrandpatrickbergin.jpg

–Julia Roberts & Patrick Bergin (Sleeping With the Enemy– 1991)

7752ab48_2010bvpganddh.jpg

–Paul Giamatti & Dustin Hoffman (Barney's Version– 2010)

506c25b5_2011cage-season-of-the-witch.jpg

--Nicolas Cage (Season of the Witch – 2010)

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]The Prices[/COLOR]

The price links below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review![/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]SD-DVD TITLE [/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]Amazon[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]BestBuy[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]Target[/COLOR]

3 Backyards

$22.49

$19.99

Beastly

$16.99

$16.99

Beneath Hill 60

$13.99

$19.99

Black Moon (CC)

$21.99

$24.99

Bloodworth

$17.99

$19.99

Camille 2000

$26.99

Camille 2000 (Extended Version)

$26.99

Guilty Hearts

$26.99

$24.99

Immigration Tango

$24.99

$24.99

Law and Order - Criminal Intent: Season 6

$40.99

$49.99

Lord of the Dance

$22.49

$14.99

Max Manus: Man of War

$26.99

$24.99

The Nesting

$10.99

People on Sunday (CC)

$21.99

$24.99

Rizzoli and Isles: Season 1

$26.99

$26.99

Season of the Witch

$16.99

$16.99

Sucker Punch

$14.99

$14.99

Warehouse 13: Season 2

$41.49

$39.99

The Warrior's Way

$18.99

$16.99

$15.99

White Lightnin'

$18.99

$19.99

Wild Cherry

$14.99

$24.99

Zazie dans le metro (CC)

$21.99

$24.99

The price links below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review![/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(255, 255, 255)]BLU-RAY TITLE [/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(255, 255, 255)]Amazon[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(255, 255, 255)]BestBuy[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(255, 255, 255)]Target[/COLOR]

Barney's Version (Combo Pack)

$28.99

$29.99

Beastly

$19.99

$19.99

Black Moon (CC)

$29.99

$34.99

Camille 2000

$31.49

$19.99

Camille 2000 (Extended Version)

$31.49

$19.99

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie

$12.99

$14.99

Jumanji (Combo Pack)

$15.99

$14.99

Lord of the Dance

$15.99

$17.99

Lord of the Rings - Motion Picture Trilogy (Extended Editions)

$69.99

$69.99

Max Manus: Man of War

$28.49

$34.99

The Nesting

$15.99

People on Sunday (CC)

$29.99

$34.99

Season of the Witch (Combo Pack)

$24.99

$22.99

$22.99

Sleeping With the Enemy

$23.49

$19.99

Stuart Little

$14.99

$14.99

Stuart Little 2

$14.99

$14.99

Sucker Punch (1-disc)

$18.99

$17.99

Sucker Punch (Extended Cut) (Combo Pack)

$22.99

$22.99

The Warrior's Way

$25.99

$22.99

$22.99

Wild Cherry

$15.99

$24.99

Zathura (Combo Pack)

$14.99

$14.99

Zazie dans le metro (CC)

$29.99

$34.99

Zombie Holocaust (Combo Pack)

$15.99

(CC) after a title = New release in the Criterion Collection.

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]The Disclaimer[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp[/COLOR]. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain!
If there is a title not included in the [COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]RoundUp[/COLOR] that you want to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the [COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]RoundUp[/COLOR]. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, Circuit City is still out of business...even in Hawaii (where they NEVER guaranteed their prices anyway).

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]The Specials[/COLOR]

--At Best Buy, get the Best Buy EXCLUSIVE COLLECTIBLE 6-CHARACTER TRILOGY FIGURINE SET with the blu-ray set for the purchase price of $99.99. Minimum of 2 per store. Available while supplies last. (A $54 value.).

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]--Save $15 @ Best Buy when you buy BOTH Toy Story AND Toy Story 2 on Blu-ray...or either of the Toy Story Combo Packs with any OTHER Blu-ray Pixar title (Other titles shown include Cars, Wall-E and A Bug's Life. [/COLOR] [COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]$29.99 each.[/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]).[/COLOR]

--Best Buy has the following 2-pack Blu-ray discs on sale this week for $14.99: American History X/History of Violence, Grumpy Old Men/Grumpier Old Men, Dirty Harry/Magnum Force, Hitch/Jerry Maguire, Air Force One/In the Line of Fire, Gattaca/The Fifth Element.

--BB has the following recent releases for $14.99 DVD/$19.99 Blu-ray: No Strings Attached, Cedar Rapids, Green Hornet. They also have True Blood: Season 3 for $32.99 DVD/$37.99 Blu-ray.

--BB has the following Blu-ray titles for $7.99: Bad Boys, Primal Fear, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Hancpock, Talladega Nights, Underworld, From Dusk Till Dawn.

--Best Buy Odds and Ends: Two recent DVDs for $9.99 apiece: The Rite and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1.

--I think it is absolutely stunning that Target did NOT include the LotR Trilogy on Blu in their weekly flyer. I don't know how they can explain that one in terms of meeting what is going to be huge public demand. It's a real head-scratcher.

--Target this week is having the "sale of the summer." The following titles are all DVDs (except where noted). Quantities limited, no rainchecks:

$1.99: My One and Only, Crazy on the Outside, D-Day the Invasion, Princess Collection, Hitchcock: Master of Suspense, John Wayne: The Duke, Abraham Lincoln: Father of Freedom.

$5.99: Scream 2 (Blu-ray), The Kids Are All Right, Couple Retreat, Letters To Juliet, Get Him to the Greek, Hurt Locker, Shutter Island, It's Complicated.

$9.99: Despicable Me, Sex and the City (Season 6?), Weeds (Season ?), Parenthood: Season 1, MegaMind, Transformers 2, The Office: Season 2.

--Target Odds and Ends: None to report.

Last edited by a moderator:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I wonder if Target has started to leave prices of some thin gs out so that Amazon can't price match before the release date

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Thanks Mike! A very quiet week for me. I will eventually take the plunge on the LotR, but considering I haven't watched the theatrical cuts on BD yet, I'll wait until the price goes down.

Originally Posted by TonyD /forum/thread/312572/weekly-roundup-6-28-2011#post_3826000

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I believe the price dropped briefly to $65. I had to change my review to adjust for the $5 differential. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Cameron Yee

I believe the price dropped briefly to $65. I had to change my review to adjust for the $5 differential. :)

Hmmmmm. If that's true, Cameron...shouldn't all of us pre-orderers get the $64.99 price?

Isn't that how Amazon's pre-order pricing guarantee works?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Ah, it's actually that some are hoping a $5 BB coupon for any DVD or BD $14.99 and up can be used with the purchase. But fine print on the coupon has the usual "not valid with other offers."

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I've got a couple catalogue things I'm interested in, but we'll see how I feel when I head out tomorrow. Serenity, Revenge of the Fallen, Sex and the City and Scream 2, to be specific. Do I need any of them? Not really.

So maybe that answers my dilemma...

Brisby

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Knaus
I'm still holding out for a better price on the LOTR set. I got the Alien Anthology for $35 and the BTTF trilogy for $15 within six months of their respective releases, so I'm betting we'll see the LOTR box for under $50 by Christmas.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the Round-up! Looks like I will be making a trip to Best but on Tuesday for the LotR. I didn't pre-order from Amazon (my usual source for blu-rays lately) and now I don't want to wait for the shipping! Besides, I may have to check out how cheesy that 6 figure set is.

Brisby

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Knaus
Originally Posted by Ric Easton

Thanks for the Round-up! Looks like I will be making a trip to Best but on Tuesday for the LotR. I didn't pre-order from Amazon (my usual source for blu-rays lately) and now I don't want to wait for the shipping!

What? Anything over $25 on Amazon ships free.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but that shipping takes a little longer (if I order now, anyway) and since they have to charge us New York Staters sales tax, there wouldn't be any savings. Besides, I haven't bought a disc in Best Buy for so long, I think they must miss me...and I need my precious on Tuesday!

timmytimmy

Grip
Real Name
Tim
Thanks for the prices Mike. Pretty quiet week for me. Season of the Witch and Sucker Punch with be netflixed, just to see how bad they really are. I am not getting my hopes up for Snyder's Superman, that is certain. I think I will be taking Brisby's tactic regarding the LOTR trilogy:

Originally Posted by Brisby

Is it just me being naive, or did anyone else expect the movies to be fit onto a single disc? I don't claim to know much, but I figured that a dual layer BD would be able to handle the 4+ hours of these movies. I don't think that switching discs in the middle of a movie is THAT big of a deal, but I just expected more from the upgrade in technology.

I feel like I am about to get lectured...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
timmytimmy said:
Thanks for the prices Mike.  Pretty quiet week for me.  Season of the Witch and Sucker Punch with be netflixed, just to see how bad they really are.  I am not getting my hopes up for Snyder's Superman, that is certain.  I think I will be taking Brisby's tactic regarding the LOTR trilogy:

Is it just me being naive, or did anyone else expect the movies to be fit onto a single disc?  I don't claim to know much, but I figured that a dual layer BD would be able to handle the 4+ hours of these movies.  I don't think that switching discs in the middle of a movie is THAT big of a deal, but I just expected more from the upgrade in technology.  

I feel like I am about to get lectured...

By splitting the movie over two discs, they're able to keep the video and audio bitrates higher than they would if it was on one disc. Also, I didn't like Sucker Punch but I have seen people that love it. Nothing for me this week but thanks for the prices, Mike! :)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by TravisR
I guess it's debatable enough how much space is really needed for 3.5-to-4-plus hours of top quality video w/ all details, grain, any fine color gradients, etc. left fully intact.

But consider that a BD50 is actually ~5.5x the storage of a DVD9 disc while needing to store ~6x the pixels as SD DVD. Yes, the better codecs used (ie. VC1 and AVC vs MPEG2) should reduce the bandwidth/storage requirement, but is it really good enough to guarantee best possible quality for 3.5-to-4-plus hours of 1080p video on one disc though? It may be enough in many cases, particularly w/ relatively grain-free HD video that compress well, but maybe not in some other cases like the LotR trilogy. I really don't know, but I suspect if they tried to squeeze all of each film into a BD50, they'd risk lots of additional complaining from some of the more avid enthusiasts.

For myself, I'm glad to see them split over 2 discs each as long as the 2nd disc doesn't take long to load (like often the case w/ BDJ-heavy discs) or have some other playback issues. I'll probably want (or need) to take a momentary break, even if it's just to get up and stretch a little, somewhere after the midpoint anyway, especially since it won't be the first (or second) time I'm seeing these films...

RE: Sucker Punch, I'm curious about that one (and maybe a couple others this week) and may give that a rent. But I think I'm pretty well tapped out on purchases for now w/ the recent sales between DD/DVDPlanet and B&N (and a little bit of Amazon) and look forward to B&N's upcoming Criterion sale ~2 weeks from now instead -- that plus some other interesting catalog releases to come in July and August... Will probably wait for some serious discounting on the LotR set, maybe until the BF/holiday shopping season, if need be...

And thanks again for another WRU as usual, Mike...

_Man_

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Brisby

I'm waiting as well. I still haven't watched the theatrical versions I got on Blu-Ray last Christmas, so I can definitely wait for a better deal on these in the future.

I was also surprised to see these again spread across two discs given the HUGE STORAGE CAPACITY claim I've always heard about Blu-Ray. I would think the films would easily fit on a single BR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks