Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Plasma Group Says Its TVs Are Selling Better. Are you going to buy a Plasma HDTV for your next HDTV?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6

Posted June 23 2011 - 04:47 PM

I was reading an article in Twice magazine from the "Plasma Group" that states that Plasma HDTV's are selling better than LCD's in terms of Y/Y increased sales.

<<

The NPD Group, which tracks sell-through data at retail, agreed. NPD tracking of January through April data shows steady growth for plasma. When rounded off, NPD data shows a sell-through of 1 million units as opposed to 805,000 for the same period in 2010. This represents a growth of 25 percent. In contrast, NPD reported that LCD units grew 2 percent in the same period.
>>

Am I a fan of Plasma TV's, yes, generally.  I was particularly with the discontinued Pioneer Kuro HDTV sets, particularly the one that never shipped....  They typcially have incredible blacks, at lesat that Panasonics.

Of course, I really like the new super thin LCD HDTV panels, but I don't like the sacrifices in picture quality.

Will my next HDTV flat panel be a plasma, if I were to buy one today, you bet for the following reasons:

1) Incredible blacks, particularly ANSI black, which the edge lighting LCD's just don't match

2) For my eyes, they have less artifacts for 3D viewing than LCD panels

3) Historically the high end Panasonics can be accurately calibrated

What are you going to buy next?

#2 of 6 Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,795 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted June 24 2011 - 12:57 AM

Currently in our house, the downstairs front projection screen is the only HDTV we have (gasp!).  Our family room TV is still an old 32" CRT.  We're not in any rush to upgrade the set - it was my wife's set and she bought a beautiful cherry cabinet for it way back when and it just barely fits.  Replacing the TV means replacing the furniture, so it can wait a bit.

When we DO decide to replace it, we've (I've) pretty much decided to look into ~42" plasma displays first.  Every time I look at TVs I am less impressed with LCD and more impressed with plasma.

A number of years ago, I was firmly ensconced in the "anti-plasma" camp, mainly because of the exhorbitant price premium they carried.  Clearly, that's no longer the case.

I don't care about super thin.  I don't care about artificial frame creation/boosted refresh rates.  I care about picture quality and color fidelity.  From what I've seen, plasma wins on those criteria.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#3 of 6 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,076 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted June 24 2011 - 01:09 AM

Bought my first plasma (Panasonic 50" VT25) last fall, and I'll never look back.

#4 of 6 Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.

• 6,316 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted July 02 2011 - 05:03 AM

hi guys I always recommend plasmas for reference viewing.

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#5 of 6 Simon Massey

Simon Massey

Screenwriter

• 2,017 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted July 03 2011 - 07:29 AM

I could do with some advice on plasmas - the one thing that has held me back from a plasma is the issue of screen burn . Given I was in the market for a tv some years ago when this issue seemed prevalent, has this now been overcome .?

#6 of 6 tv-tech

tv-tech

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted July 05 2011 - 03:51 PM

No, not technically. Screen burn is only an issue if you watch 4x3 or run a constant static image. Most new plasmas have a white wash feature that will even out the panel if this does happen. Both of my plasmas are prior to that technology, and I don't have issues, but I'm careful about my cable box, dvd, and computer setup. My 50 was burned when I got it (techs get stuff that is technically damaged), but through normal use it is barely noticeable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users