Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Help/Suggestions for In-Wall Speakers

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   cscmtp

cscmtp

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted June 23 2011 - 12:33 PM

Hi guys. I need some help as I'm not sure what to buy and really what I need. We are building a new house and have pre-wired the living room to have 2 speakers on the back wall and 2 speakers outside in our covered porch. I've never bought in-wall speakers or outdoor speakers before and was hoping someone might have a good recommendation. Our house will have a designated home theater room downstairs, so I don't need anything super high end. But we will have a 58" LCD hanging on the wall in our living room and thought it would be nice to have some speakers behind us. Any suggestions for the living room speakers as well as outside speakers? Thanks in advance!!!

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,193 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted June 24 2011 - 01:00 AM

thought it would be nice to have some speakers behind us.

As surround sound speakers?  What are you using for the front 3?

What's your budget?

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Parthian

Parthian

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted June 24 2011 - 09:35 AM

Christopher

There is an intriguing solution for both your requirements.

FeONIC Invisible In Wall Speakers and Outdoor Speakers

You can easily fit the FeONIC drives to your Drywall for the Front and the Rear speakers. They then turn your entire drywall panel (or wood, metal, glass etc) into a speaker. Results aren't high end HiFi but are perfectly acceptable for all but the most demanding of HiFi users - the unique feature is that the speakers are invisible and usually nowhere near as hard to fit as most in wall speaker solutions (no need to cut holes and then plaster to a perfect finish).

And the clever thing is that the same drives can be attached underneath the floor or perhaps on the patio windows themselves. They are also easily fitted to the underside of a wooden deck.

Certainly worth considering I think.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,193 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted June 24 2011 - 10:55 AM

Typical bandwidth:  150hz to 15,000hz  Really?  What is the variance?  + or - 3db or it is higher?  Does it depend on the material you attach it to?

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   David Willow

David Willow

Babbling Idiot

• 2,207 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted June 24 2011 - 01:36 PM

Stuart, Do you sell Feonic? Two posts, both sales pitches.... #justsayin

I’m training to run a marathon for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, to raise life-saving funds to help those fighting blood cancers. Please help! See details and donation link here.

Dolby and DTS Plaques (downloads)
Audyssey Setup Guide

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Parthian

Parthian

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted June 24 2011 - 10:01 PM

Hi David You are half right - many apologies. Typed that in late last night. Should have declared my interest (which I normally always do on the rare occasions I post on forums). I developed the FeONIC web page a few years ago and help out with maintenance etc. but don't formally work for them as an employee. And I don't get commission or anything. My only other post declares my position. It's only fair. Robert_J, Have you found the Spec sheets on the Download page? They should help. I'm not an audiophile so struggle with this but my understanding is the freq. response is too lumpy for HiFi. They are, however, sold by high end HiFi retailers but not as the main listening experience (just as Christopher indicated). Instead they are used for secondary positions throughout the house (study, hallways, kitchens, bathrooms) places where invisible is more important than HiFi. The surface material does have an effect on the sound.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users