What's new

Early Edition- Stalled?! (1 Viewer)

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Anyone know the status of Early Edition- have the idiots at CBS abandoned this series just like so many others before it?! To think I thought this show had a chance of having all seasons released on DVD (there are only 4), but since we are talking about CBS here I should have know better?!

I wonder if anyone else might be interested in picking up this series (Shout! Factory perhaps?) and releasing the final two seasons?! They could capitalize on the recent success of Kyle Chandler who was recently in Friday Night Lights and also stars in the film Super 8.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
I'd love the final two seasons. I'm part way through season one, and i have season two ready to watch.

Agreed that it's frustrating that it seems this is another stalled or abandoned show.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I'd love to buy a complete set too, but will definitely avoid a edited for syndication release.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'd love to buy a complete set too, but will definitely avoid a edited for syndication release.

I will admit, I may be jumping the gun.

The show is new enough, maybe it escaped the hatchet. And if it is, I'll happily eat my words and lay my money down.

But we're gonna need a Guinea pig to buy it and let us know.

Last edited:

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Well this is a nice surprise, never thought this show would be completed. I contacted VEI about this series a while back and they told me they looked into acquiring the rights but there was some issue that prevented them from doing so. It looks like they have sorted things out now.

Anyone know if they plan to release the final two seasons individually?! I already have seasons 1&2 and I am not buying a complete series set just to get the last two seasons.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the first two seasons were uncut, even though both sets had that stupid disclaimer (some episodes may be edited from their original versions) that CBS puts on pretty much everything they release. One thing of note, I have read that seasons 3 & 4 might have some music issues, there was a different theme song, hopefully they the theme song at least is intact.

Last edited:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I watched this show when it was on, but I've never revisited it. I just looked up some things about it and was looking at some photos from the show. Hard to believe how much things change. They need to go into phone booths, waiting around for phone calls...and what's a newspaper? Heh! Hopefully the episodes won't be edited.

For some reason that cat always amewsed me.

earlyeditionpilot09.jpg

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Anyone know if they plan to release the final two seasons individually?! I already have seasons 1&2 and I am not buying a complete series set just to get the last two seasons.

Normally, I'd be right there with you, but the entire package is $40 bucks. Before Amazon gets it.

How much would you likely pay for seasons 3 and 4 together? Probably around $40 bucks.

So buy the complete series and use the VEI discs for seasons 1 and 2 as coasters, especially since you know the CBS discs aren't crap.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
So buy the complete series and use the VEI discs for seasons 1 and 2 as coasters, especially since you know the CBS discs aren't crap.

I didn't say I know, I said I 'believe' they are uncut based on comments I read from other fans of the show. At the time these were released I scoured the net to see if I could find info about episode run times to see if these are uncut or not but was unable to find anything.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I didn't say I know, I said I 'believe' they are uncut based on comments I read from other fans of the show. At the time these were released I scoured the net to see if I could find info about episode run times to see if these are uncut or not but was unable to find anything.

I was actually talking about the manufacturing of the discs, since VEI has a long history of problems that CBS doesn't.

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
Concerns to watch for for S3/S4:
  • IP issues from crossover with Martial Law (probably not an issue since VEI included that episode of EE with the Martial Law release!)
  • Length and music cuts in general
  • Loss of the S4 theme music. - The first few episodes, as originally aired, had odd openings that were clearly a work in progress. By about the fifth episode, it was clear why, as new music was rolled out and the clips being used were carefully being chosen to fit the theme and lyrics of the new music (e.g., a clip of Gary reacting to seeing something over the lyrics "there are things to realize"). The new music, in case you haven't already guessed, was "Time Has Come Today" by the Chambers Brothers. A fantastic choice, in my opinion. Today, reruns usually use the S1-S3 theme music overtop the S4 video, which does not work at all. I have never heard the S4 music used in reruns (though I haven't watched any current airings in 10+ years), so if there's going to be cuts, this will probably be the first thing to go.

I have both seasons of the CBS DVD releases. I am 99% sure that they are uncut for length, and 95% sure that they are uncut for music. I do not have original broadcast recordings to compare them to, but I did not notice any short episodes or generic music that could have been replaced.

One exception: The episode "Hot Time in the Old Town" originally aired with a gag ending in which Rod Serling (via stock footage, of course) narrated the ending (to the bewilderment of the EE characters) as if it had been an episode of the Twilight Zone. That ending never aired in reruns (to my knowledge) and was not included on the DVD, which features the standard ending instead. Given that the Twilight Zone ending was part of CBS's 50 year anniversary theme week, I suspect that it is an alternate ending and was never part of the official/prime master for that episode. Nevertheless, it is unfortunate that they did not include it as an alternate ending.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
On the other hand, when I've had bad disks (three in all from four complete series sets), they've gotten replacement disks to me with dispatch and without hassle.

Then why did I never see hide nor hair of that Petrocelli replacement disc that I asked for from them a long time ago?!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen this show but my girlfriend was asking me about it so I'll definitely pick this up. Is the show any good? Is it hopefully from the era before every show had to end the episode with a music video?

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've never seen this show but my girlfriend was asking me about it so I'll definitely pick this up. Is the show any good? Is it hopefully from the era before every show had to end the episode with a music video?

I always thought of it as an inverted Quantum Leap. Instead of putting right what once went wrong, a guy magically gets tomorrow's newspaper and spends his day trying to make sure something bad doesn't happen.

I enjoyed it in first run. Don't remember if it ended with a music video, but it may have been just before that time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks