-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Soundtracks on Blu-rays

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 veggiop

veggiop

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted June 21 2011 - 06:21 PM

Just a thought... With the technology that blu ray is capable of and the huge capacity on each disc, wouldnt it be nice to have full soundtracks - of that particular film obviously - on the blu ray disc! It could be in the 'special features' section. And if it was possible, why not the ability to rip the music off the disc to a ps3!

The idea came to me when watching Juno... fantastic soundtrack, and the thought it would be cool if the soundtrack came as part of the blu ray disc!

Thanks!

#2 of 6 Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 838 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted June 22 2011 - 04:44 AM

That would be a great feature, but I imagine with contractual issues, almost impossible. There are a few discs out there with isolated tracks that are a lot of fun. My favorite is Superman: The Movie, with an isolated DD 5.0 John Williams score.

"There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

#3 of 6 EdReedFan20

EdReedFan20

Stunt Coordinator

• 75 posts

Posted June 22 2011 - 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by veggiop 

Just a thought... With the technology that blu ray is capable of and the huge capacity on each disc, wouldnt it be nice to have full soundtracks - of that particular film obviously - on the blu ray disc! It could be in the 'special features' section. And if it was possible, why not the ability to rip the music off the disc to a ps3!

The idea came to me when watching Juno... fantastic soundtrack, and the thought it would be cool if the soundtrack came as part of the blu ray disc!

Thanks!

The Inception Blu-Ray has selected tracks from the soundtrack in 5.1 Surround Sound.

#4 of 6 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,032 posts

Posted June 22 2011 - 07:51 AM

I presume the main reason this isn't done more often is because the studio would rather be able to sell the soundtrack separately.

#5 of 6 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted June 22 2011 - 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by cafink 

I presume the main reason this isn't done more often is because the studio would rather be able to sell the soundtrack separately.

Actually, just the opposite is true: sometimes the studios (FOX) put the soundtrack on the DVD/Blu-ray because they do not have the rights to the soundtrack recording.  Record labels only own the original soundtrack rights to many films  - which is why we get truncated soundtracks of various films or re-issued on the original LP or CD.

The Studios have a difficult time dealing with the record compaines and the cost and legal work run very high, plus CD royalties are based on time/length and I believe (it may have changed) that each additional 15 minutes cost more (or something to that effect)

#6 of 6 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted June 22 2011 - 04:55 PM

It also depends where the music was recorded. If it was done in the Los Angeles with union musicians, then the whole orchestra would have to be paid again as if they were recording it all over. Recordings made in London in the 70's and 80's had no such restrictions. The rules there may have changed as of late as many productions now go to eastern European orchestras to have their score recorded. They get world class musicians for a flat one time fee, and at a fraction of what it would cost to record in LA or London. Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers