Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Lionsgate Press Release: Trainspotting (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,547 posts

Posted June 21 2011 - 04:45 AM

Trainspotting Blu-ray Disc

The film that launched the careers of Golden Globe® nominee* Ewan McGregor and Oscar®-winning director Danny Boyle** makes its HD debut as Lionsgate releases the dramatic Miramax movieTrainspotting for the first time on Blu-ray Disc.  Presented in 1080P High Definition and 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, the film portrays the misadventures of a group of heroin addicts in the late 1980's in Edinburgh, Scotland. The film also stars Ewen Bremner (Match Point), Jonny Lee Miller (Showtime's "Dexter"), Kevin McKidd (TV's "Grey's Anatomy"), Robert Carlyle (TV's "SGU Stargate Universe") and Kelly Macdonald (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2). Based on the novel of the same name by Irvine Welsh (The Acid House), the film earned an Academy Award®nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay for screenwriter John Hodge (The Beach). TheTrainspotting Blu-ray Disc will include audio commentary, deleted scenes, a "making of" featurette, interviews, a film retrospective - plus a Digital Copy version of the feature film.

The film follows the life of Mark Renton (McGregor), a heroin addict who struggles with his addiction.  Renton is able to kick the habit and moves to London, where he finds a job, a flat, and something close to peace of mind. However, old friends Sick Boy, Begbie and Spud all arrive at his doorstep, leading Renton back into drugs and crime. Renton's lifestyle starts to significantly affect his relationships with his friends and family. He reluctantly discovers that his old friends continue to play a part in his life and make changing a difficult task.

* Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy, Moulin Rouge!, 2002

** Best Achievement in Directing, Slumdog Millionaire, 2008

Pricing: Blu-ray Disc -$19.99

September 13, 2011

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   SD_Brian

SD_Brian

Supporting Actor

• 589 posts

Posted June 21 2011 - 05:39 AM

Trainspotting is still the only Danny Boyle movie I've liked.  I may upgrade if all the content from the special edition DVD carries over.

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   Brisby

Brisby

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted June 21 2011 - 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by SD_Brian 

Trainspotting is still the only Danny Boyle movie I've liked.

Really? Shallow Grave, 28 Days Later, Millions, Slumdog Millionaire and 127 Hours all did nothing for you? Posted Image

I'll definitely upgrade this to Blu if all the extras are ported over. One of my favorite films of the 90's.

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   SD_Brian

SD_Brian

Supporting Actor

• 589 posts

Posted June 21 2011 - 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Brisby 

Really? Shallow Grave, 28 Days Later, Millions, Slumdog Millionaire and 127 Hours all did nothing for you? Posted Image

They have their moments but overall, no, they did nothing for me.  With the exception of Trainspotting (one of my top-ten favorites of the 90's also, btw), I find Boyle's movies all start strongly, with amazing energy (even A Life Less Ordinary and The Beach started well) but then, by about the halfway point, I stop caring and start to wish Boyle would shelve some of his stylistic excess and just get on with things already. Trainspotting happened to be the perfect movie for his hyperactive style and, in my humble opinion, he's yet to top it.

In the Danny Boyle oeuvre, I would rank Sunshine higher than any of those you listed.

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,093 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted September 10 2011 - 06:57 PM

Review is forthcoming, but I though it would be worth mentioning that this is not the unrated cut of the film that appeared on the previous Miramax DVD releases in the US (even though they were labeled as "Rated R").  This is the censored R-rated cut which was in US theaters and appeared on the Canadian Alliance DVD release.

Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   Brisby

Brisby

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted September 11 2011 - 12:49 AM

Oh, motherFUCKER!!! :f

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,309 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 11 2011 - 01:17 AM

In a Scream Blu-ray thread, someone hypothesized that the unrated cut only existed on video. Given the age of the movie, that makes total sense to me and I'd bet the same reason applies here too. I think on the commentary for Piranha, Joe Dante laments that some movies were going to be 'lost' because of the shortsighted practice of editing on tape and it looks he's being proven right.

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   Simon Massey

Simon Massey

Screenwriter

• 2,113 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted September 11 2011 - 01:29 AM

What is cut ? - there was never a unrated cut in the UK as far as I know just one theatrical cut that I remember. Sure it isnt just the deleted scenes just inserted into the film ?

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,309 posts

Posted September 11 2011 - 02:29 AM

If I remember correctly, a sex scene was slightly shortened for the U.S. release. Keep in mind that is the land where Janet Jackson's tassled boob being seen during the Super Bowl brought about a new dark age of sexual repression on network television. :)

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,227 posts

Posted September 11 2011 - 02:59 AM

From the IMDb: "Two seconds of the film were removed to attain an "R" rating in the USA: one second during the sex scene between Renton and Diane when one of the two reached between their legs; the other second was of needle piercing the skin during Renton's shooting up at Mother Superior. The American DVD release of the film restores both the above cuts."

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,093 posts

Posted September 11 2011 - 04:18 AM

What Bob said. The running time is exactly the same because the cut shot in the sex scene is replaced by a pan across a soccer crowd and the cut shot of the needle going into the arm is replaced by a slightly extended hold on a facial close- up.
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   SD_Brian

SD_Brian

Supporting Actor

• 589 posts

Posted September 11 2011 - 06:17 AM

Do they at least use the original dialogue? If I recall correctly, the original U.S. release was heavily looped so audiences wouldn't get lost in the heavy Scottish accents.

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,043 posts

Posted September 11 2011 - 11:01 AM

I'm not familiar with the history of this movie, but Travis, you say that the cuts were made "for the U.S. release," but speculate that the original version might only exist on video. These points seem contradictory to me. If the cuts were made for the US, then surely the original version was released on film in the UK? I know you say you're not certain about either point, so I'm not trying to call you out or anything, I'm just genuinely curious about the situation.

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,309 posts

Posted September 11 2011 - 11:32 AM

If the cuts were made for the US, then surely the original version was released on film in the UK?

Good point. Does Miramax own the movie or did they just distribute it in the U.S.? If they don't own it, I'd guess that the only HD transfer they have is of the U.S. cut. That's not to say that a new transfer of the UK cut can't be made but the people that bought the Miramax library probably aren't interested in spending money on new transfers (I know the director's cut of Mimic is coming but I'd be really surprised if that wasn't something that's been sitting on the shelves at Dimension before the catalog got sold and they lucked into it rather than spent money on it).

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,093 posts

Posted September 11 2011 - 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by SD_Brian 

Do they at least use the original dialogue? If I recall correctly, the original U.S. release was heavily looped so audiences wouldn't get lost in the heavy Scottish accents.

I'm not as up on the dialog differences, if anyone can give me specific things to listen for, I can comment both here and in the review.  All versions I have ever seen have the subtitles in the nightclub scene, IIRC, including this one.

Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted September 12 2011 - 03:44 PM

Good point. Does Miramax own the movie or did they just distribute it in the U.S.? If they don't own it, I'd guess that the only HD transfer they have is of the U.S. cut. That's not to say that a new transfer of the UK cut can't be made but the people that bought the Miramax library probably aren't interested in spending money on new transfers.

The Japanese Miramax Blu-Ray is uncut. Review here: http://www.dvdbeaver...ing_blu-ray.htm

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   SD_Brian

SD_Brian

Supporting Actor

• 589 posts

Posted September 12 2011 - 05:33 PM

I'm not as up on the dialog differences, if anyone can give me specific things to listen for, I can comment both here and in the review.  All versions I have ever seen have the subtitles in the nightclub scene, IIRC, including this one.

The most noticeable place to listen for the dialogue change is in the bar scene where Begbie (Robert Carlyle) tells his version of the bar fight story. In the original dialogue track, what he's saying is all but unintelligible (unless you have a really good ear for Scottish accents) but in the dubbed version, you can make out what he's saying pretty clearly and the voice doesn't quite sound the same as in the rest of the movie. The SE DVD has the original dialogue track but the original DVD release, I believe, had the dubbed track. The subtitles in the nightclub scene are there as a stylistic choice because the music in the club drowns out the voices, just as it often does when you're trying to carry on a conversation in such a place.

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   Simon Massey

Simon Massey

Screenwriter

• 2,113 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted September 12 2011 - 11:08 PM

The two shots you refer to Im almost certain have been in every UK release of the films so far though I havent seen the blu-ray

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted September 13 2011 - 10:36 AM

The most noticeable place to listen for the dialogue change is in the bar scene where Begbie (Robert Carlyle) tells his version of the bar fight story. In the original dialogue track, what he's saying is all but unintelligible (unless you have a really good ear for Scottish accents) but in the dubbed version, you can make out what he's saying pretty clearly and the voice doesn't quite sound the same as in the rest of the movie. The SE DVD has the original dialogue track but the original DVD release, I believe, had the dubbed track. The subtitles in the nightclub scene are there as a stylistic choice because the music in the club drowns out the voices, just as it often does when you're trying to carry on a conversation in such a place.

I think it's just the VHS that had the dubbing, although I've never been able to confirm if it did or not. Miramax reportedly used Criterion's LD master for their original DVD release. That's probably how we ended up with the uncut version instead of the R-rated. According to DVD Beaver: "The US Criterion laserdisc, old US DVD and current US DVD are all the uncut version with the original English / Scottish audio track." In this article, they explain why they did the dubbing and said changes were only made during the first 20 minutes of the film: http://www.independe...ns-1349197.html I looked on Youtube to see if their were any clips of the dubbed version for comparison purposes, but couldn't find any. I'd like to get the uncut Japanese Blu-Ray as it will on my U.S. PS3, but Deep Discount is asking $75 for it.

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,043 posts

Posted September 14 2011 - 01:25 AM

It looks like the Japanese version is out of print. CDjapan.co.jp has it, but they're asking $60 + shipping.