What's new

Kroft Double Release Disappointment! (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Guys:

For the Satuday Morning Fans out there, are any of you disappointed that there have been two releases for Land of the Lost, HR Pufnstuff, and now Sigmund and the Sea Monsters, while there still has been no release at all for Far Out Space Nuts, The Lost Saucer, ElectraWoman and Dynagirl, Dr. Shrinker, etc.

I just wish the company that has the Kroft properties now had gone with unreleased material first?

James

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
I know. They bought the rights and they're not doing anything with them that we haven't seen before. Would love to see sets devoted to ElectraWoman and DynaGirl, Dr. Shrinker, Wonderbug and the Krofft Supershow. Heck, I'd even by a Magic Mongo set.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure it's easier/cheaper for them to re-release titles where clearances, etc. have already been sorted (and digital masters are in place) than to try to release a new title from scratch.

Though they'd probably make more money by biting the bullet and putting out some new-to-DVD Krofft.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
If they release the complete Bigfoot, and Wildboy, I will buy 10 copies.
I swear it.
No questions asked.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
seeing how the old Rhino version of Pufnstuff was going from over $100 used before the new remastered dvds, it's a smart move. You have to have the popular stuff on the shelf. I had been told that Sigmund was supposed to contain both seasons. Land of the Lost came out in time for the horrible movie.

would be nice if they doubled up and put out Far Out Space Nuts and Lost Saucer in one boxset. And figure out how to get all the Krofft Supershow stuff in a boxset instead of just lumping together the same shorts.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
^ great point about the oop prices. Look at Bugaloos andLidsville!

Anyway, was VERY happy with the Pufnstuf set.

And Sigmund only got a first season DVD release. Ecstatic over the full series release of that, my fav of the Kroffts when I was growing up. That and Land of the Lost.

I will have no problem buying one of every Krofft they release if they are as complete as available.

Yeah, hopefully they can release some of the shorter run shows in multi sets. Whatever...just get them to us please1 :D

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Originally Posted by Bryan^H
If they release the complete Bigfoot, and Wildboy, I will buy 10 copies.
I swear it.
No questions asked.
I would have said that about Sigmund...but since it's already been announced, well... hahaha!

paste

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by Radioman970

And Sigmund only got a first season DVD release. Ecstatic over the full series release of that, my fav of the Kroffts when I was growing up.

Do you know when the full series will be released? They just announced that the first season will be re-released in Sept, but the press release on TV Shows on DVD didn't mention a full series set or a second season release date.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
^ Oops. Sorry about that. It doesn't say "Season 1" anywhere on the box. I really thought I read something about a full release on krofft's official site...but maybe they were talking about this re-release. This is a disappointment.

paste

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by Radioman970
^ Oops. Sorry about that. It doesn't say "Season 1" anywhere on the box. I really thought I read something about a full release on krofft's official site...but maybe they were talking about this re-release. This is a disappointment.

Darn, I was hoping you had some inside scoop on the release. It seems like I heard they were going to release the whole series, too. So I guess they canceled or postponed the plans. Hopefully it will sell enough to warrant a second season release.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad they are releasing Season 1 and 2 of Sigmund as seperate releases and not one set. Not fair for those of us who bought Season 1 already to have to buy it again just to get Season 2. So this is good news to me. In fact if it does end up being a complete series release I will pass on it even though I have been waiting for season 2 forever.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
You had me excited there for a minute until I read the whole thread. I don't know how I missed the actual announcement, though -- can someone provide a link?

So this is just the first season again? I guess it makes sense for the reason Randy mentioned above -- I already have the first season too. But perhaps it could be handled like Land Of The Lost where the individual seasons were released, and so was a complete series set. (So is there any word on the second season?)

The final episode on the Rhino set has the second season intro, but if I recall correctly, the copyright date is 1973, which doesn't jibe. Anyone know the story on that? IIRC, there are 17 episodes on that set -- I am guessing there were 16 in the first season and they just assumed it was 17? (I was a little bummed about the second season shows' non-release, especially since Pufnstuf made a guest appearance in the second season.)

I would much rather see the Krofft Supershow/Krofft Superstar Hour/Bay City Rollers released in its original context (rather than Magic Mongo, Wonderbug, etc. as separate releases) -- but given that only one segment of "Horror Hotel" was included as an extra with H.R. Pufnstuf, I'm not gonna hold my breath on that one. Still, one segment is better than none, which is what was officially released before!

Anyway, bring it on...glad it's coming out.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Originally Posted by paste

Darn, I was hoping you had some inside scoop on the release. It seems like I heard they were going to release the whole series, too. So I guess they canceled or postponed the plans. Hopefully it will sell enough to warrant a second season release.
Terribly sorry. :( I'm just an excited fan unfortunately. I wish I had something to do with releases of nostalgic material from my childhood. Holy moly what a release list that would be!

Yep, there's a good side to it. But I sure hope it doesn't follow in Rhino's big shoes. Stopping at 1. How many do we all need to buy? Just tell us and we'll do it. :p

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mark Y
The final episode on the Rhino set has the second season intro, but if I recall correctly, the copyright date is 1973, which doesn't jibe. Anyone know the story on that? IIRC, there are 17 episodes on that set -- I am guessing there were 16 in the first season and they just assumed it was 17? (I was a little bummed about the second season shows' non-release, especially since Pufnstuf made a guest appearance in the second season.)

I would much rather see the Krofft Supershow/Krofft Superstar Hour/Bay City Rollers released in its original context (rather than Magic Mongo, Wonderbug, etc. as separate releases) -- but given that only one segment of "Horror Hotel" was included as an extra with H.R. Pufnstuf, I'm not gonna hold my breath on that one. Still, one segment is better than none, which is what was officially released before!

Anyway, bring it on...glad it's coming out.
16 episodes sounds right for a "first season" show from the '70s (Supershow had 16 installments for both of its seasons, and shows from rival studio Filmation usually ran 15 episodes in a first season), but the episode guide I found online says 17. That would have given the network a year-round run with one first-run and two repeat runs with one week off.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
when I interviewed Sid Krofft, he thought they were doing a complete series.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Sigmund is now up for pre-order on amazon. $44.99? ouch! Will hold off for now. Was hoping for a similar price as Pufnstuf, in the mid-$20 at most. Now...if was certain we'd get the rest of the show I'd pre-order today. :( hate to be that way but I'm not interested in JUST the first season at the moment. I would have gotten Rhino's release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks