What's new

Anyone feel a bit letdown by Shout! Select? (1 Viewer)

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
I do.

It's not so much the price, or the fact that they don't ship outside of America (common complaints about the service, I live in America, BTW), it's rather the fact that it's not like Warner Archive (sales don't have to be high in order for a series to continue). I get the feeling that because of this, more and more titles are gonna be unfinished.

Thoughts? And please don't gang up on me like crazy.

cliff mac

Insider
No one stand to be in business with poor sales. Of course Warner can do it much easier because they are a big studio. We are a privately held company. We actually manufacture the discs and they send you burned DVD-Rs.

We have tried to make the consumers happy by continuing to release show that retailers will no long carry. If the sales on a title are low, we can't continue to put the show out. We can't stand to lose money like a major studio can.

It cost a lot of money to put out a show like IRONSIDE. It's authoring for six discs and we have to purchase masters for each episode from the studio. If only 100 people buy it, we just lost money.

We like to rescue shows that the studios don't continue, but remember, they didn't finish it due to low sales and if we pick it up and we sell less copies than they did, it's really hard to continue to release it and be a profitable company.

Originally Posted by vnisanian2001

I do.

It's not so much the price, or the fact that they don't ship outside of America (common complaints about the service, I live in America, BTW), it's rather the fact that it's not like Warner Archive (sales don't have to be high in order for a series to continue). I get the feeling that because of this, more and more titles are gonna be unfinished.

Thoughts? And please don't gang up on me like crazy.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
If not for Shout! Select, we would not have IRONSIDE Seasons 3 and 4 – and likely beyond.

That’s enough to put them on the plus side for me!

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
I find it funny how even though Ironside isn't that great of a seller to begin with, Shout has no problem releasing more seasons of it. As for why certain shows get abandoned by big studios, it's because they don't make enough effort to let people know that they're available.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'm grateful the Select program allowed "Ironside" to continue as well, and also that it finally allowed completion of "The Bill Cosby Show". Those were the two titles that stuck out in terms of what I felt was wrong with Shout! policy beforehand, so I can't complain about the procedure. The other titles that have been released only through Select are I have to admit not ones of particular interest to me (though I did get Room 222 S2).

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Add me to the list of those that are grateful, not disappointed, with the Shout Select program. I'm looking at seasons 5 & 6 of Father Knows Best, one of my Top Ten favorite shows of all time, because of the program. You'll never catch me speaking negatively about it.

Gary "I think it's a great program and has kept Shout right at the top when it comes to releasing vintage TV on DVD" O.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
i am glad that they are finishing off kojak. i hope they manage to acquire other unfinished shows such as t.j. hooker, swat, black sheep squadron, quincy, police woman, and the rookies.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I would been happy if adam-12 was completed this year. There is only two seasons left and would have been nice they completed this before releasing other shows.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Tor1
If not for Shout! Select, we would not have IRONSIDE Seasons 3 and 4 – and likely beyond.

I'm on your side here too, although I don't collect Ironside, it's "kudos" to Shout for rescuing the shows that the majors have stopped their releases with many series'.

Cliff, thanks for posting here. The info is appreciated by many here.

Quote:

I find it funny how even though Ironside isn't that great of a seller to begin with, Shout has no problem releasing more seasons of it. As for why certain shows get abandoned by big studios, it's because they don't make enough effort to let people know that they're available.

Good point and I know Gary and I see this one the same. We've discussed this many times as well as others on this forum. I'm just glad that I get all of my TV/DVD's at online stores and know the site locations to shop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack P
I'm grateful the Select program allowed "Ironside" to continue as well, and also that it finally allowed completion of "The Bill Cosby Show". Those were the two titles that stuck out in terms of what I felt was wrong with Shout! policy beforehand, so I can't complain about the procedure. The other titles that have been released only through Select are I have to admit not ones of particular interest to me (though I did get Room 222 S2).

Ditto. As for Adam-12, it's always been on my auto-buy list. Looking forward to seeing this one completed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary OS
Add me to the list of those that are grateful, not disappointed, with the Shout Select program. I'm looking at seasons 5 & 6 of Father Knows Best, one of my Top Ten favorite shows of all time, because of the program. You'll never catch me speaking negatively about it.

Gary "I think it's a great program and has kept Shout right at the top when it comes to releasing vintage TV on DVD" O.

10-4, Gary. They have my support as well and it's clear that they rescued the older series TV/DVD collector camp with their releases.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingfish
i am glad that they are finishing off kojak. i hope they manage to acquire other unfinished shows such as t.j. hooker, swat, black sheep squadron, quincy, police woman, and the rookies.

I'd love to see Black Sheep Squadron completed by Shout.

Cliff, any possibility on this one? There are 13 episodes that Universal didn't release for this series.

Quote:

Originally Posted by younger1968
I would been happy if adam-12 was completed this year. There is only two seasons left and would have been nice they completed this before releasing other shows.

I'd like to have this one completed this year too but the good news is that it's coming :) (Cliff posted that info in the "Police Story 1973" thread).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
They've been releasing Mystery Science Theater 3000 (including the upcoming Gamera set which seemed unlikely to happen), the rest of Dragnet, all of It's Garry Shandling's Show, put Rock N Roll High School out on Blu-ray, released lots of out of print low budget 1970's movies and they did what I assumed would never happen and released The Larry Sanders Show in its entirety. They get a big thumbs up from me.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I used to be rather anti-Shout because of one reason: My gf is the buyer for a prestigious museum store and inquired at Shout about carrying some of their product. Despite numerous attempts to contact them, she never even got a courtesy call back. Every other studio and DVD manufacturer was happy that she wanted to market their products so that was kind of a turn off to me, but as she's gotten over it, I have too and in the meantime I have come to regard them as a very viable and, particularly now, necessary company for the continuation of the home entertainment hobby. I am happy to support them and buy their product.

We all have our favorites that we would like to see released or continued and I'm sorry that they can't appease all the fans all the time, but at some point we all have to remember that these companies are not public service outlets or government funded entities, they are a BUSINESS. I find this expectation that these companies need to create and maintain our individual preservation archives very unrealistic and, at times, very unappealing in what it says about us and the hobby. I yield to no one with my anti-establishment stance regarding big business, but even I have to respect the reality that a company, no matter how altruistic their intentions, can only lose so much money.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
THere are several titles that for a long while have only needed just one release to be completed. SWAT, Here Come The Brides, Flying Nun (Sony) and Night Gallery, Hardy Boys, Baa Baa Black Sheep (Universal). I have always wondered though if an independent label like Shout purposefully shys away from a title that only needs one season to be completed, as if they prefer a title in which automatically there'd be more than one release.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Jack P I have always wondered though if an independent label like Shout purposefully shys away from a title that only needs one season to be completed, as if they prefer a title in which automatically there'd be more than one release.

Well, most of Shout's releases are shows with more seasons. But they have released one-season shows, mostly newer stuff, though (assuming that's what you mean, of course).

I remember someone on another forum suggested that for Shout! Select, they lower the price a bit on those sets and actually update their upcoming listings or issues posts as to when to expect the next season to come out as well to energize the fans to buy the previous sets too.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I don't mean shows that lasted only one season, I mean picking up a title started by another company that had only one season left to release before it stalled out. I have *never* seen a company do that. The only one that comes close is Timeless finishing "Alias Smith And Jones" with one release, but that was two seasons worth of episodes.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I am so happy Shout has not gone the DVD-R route, cause i will not buy them.

Also, count me in for more Adam-12, and i would buy Black Sheep Squadron as well!

Cliff, thanks for hanging out with us...much appreciated!

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I feel like every show I like never gets completed but if I had to choose between MOD or Shout Select I would choose Shout hands down. And if I had to choose between MOD, and nothing I choose nothing. I don't own any MOD discs and while I am sure they are decent quality I am not paying those prices for a DVD-R. It may sound stupid to do without but I buy many Shout releases from Corman tiltes to TV shows etc , I buy Blu if I have the choice. I won't do MOD though.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
After completing "The FBI" release from Warner MOD, I don't see a dime's bit of difference quality wise between that and a regular "pressed" release. Heck, Timeless puts out obscure shows from inferior source material for prices that are pretty much the same or even more.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
I haven't owned any MOD titles from Warner Archives, but I heard that the picture quality on them is superior than anything put out by Shout Select.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Joe Tor1

Yeah, you would. Madman had them out years ago, which is where I bought my seasons 3 & 4.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

I haven't owned any MOD titles from Warner Archives, but I heard that the picture quality on them is superior than anything put out by Shout Select.

I own a few WB mods and it depends on the quality of the source material used. It's my guess that the MOD holdout group disagrees with the pricepoints that WB has established for their MOD discs (vs pressed prices used by most other studios).

I own several Shout TV/DVD sets where the transfers are better than a few of my MOD movie discs.

The other issue with most MOD holdouts is the question about DVD-R lifetime. I haven't had any issues yet with the few WB MODs that I bought. I only have a few movie titles from the MOD store at this point though, no TV/DVD sets yet. However, there are numerous posts over at the movie forum that have reported playback issues and defects with MOD discs. So far, all of mine have played perfectly with no defects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks