What's new

It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World - 7/5 (Another Wal-Mart Exclusive) (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Along with several other MGM titles including

Throw Momma From The Train
A Fish Called Wanda
It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
When Harry Met Sally
Legally Blonde
Can't wait for IAMMMMW! I caught one of the showings on MGMHD last year and it looked pretty good- much better than the DVD, although it did look like there could be a lot of edge halos. Generally I've been very happy with MGM catalog. For a retailer exclusive The Big Country is an outstanding value disc, so hopefully this one will be right up there as well.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Paul,

Thank you for this information.

$10 for IAMMMW on Walmart.com and it looks like they will ship.

(I hate going to Walmart)

As much as I should be happy tha IAMMMW is being released to

Blu-ray, I feel like it's a lost opportunity.

I imagine Fox/MGM was approached about doing the necessary

restoration to bring this film back to roadshow glory and they decided

not to go that route. It's a real shame. Had this been in Warner's

hands, we would have probably gotten the entire "kit and kaboodle."

I am not necessarily pointing the finger at the studio for not doing

the right thing. Obviously, there was a lot to consider as far as what

the return sales value would be on doing an entire restoration. I think

most studios would have turned down spending the money to do it.

In any event, I am certainly going to purchase IAMMMW, though

my heart still belongs to the laserdisc release and all the extra footage

on it.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
well looks as if a nother windfall for walmart, my only concern is that they carry it in the B&M stores, definately see some titles that would be day one purchases as long as the transfer is up to par.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
These are all well known titles. It looks like the exclusive deal with WalMart is paying off for the studio or they wouldn't keep doing these exclusives.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
the are also going to be having a Lionsgate exclusive group as well, Jackie Brown is in that setof releases along with The Crow

Jarod M

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by MattH.

These are all well known titles. It looks like the exclusive deal with WalMart is paying off for the studio or they wouldn't keep doing these exclusives.

I wish someone could explain the economics of these deals. I don't understand how it benefits Wal-Mart enough to want to do it, especially on $10 titles. And considering all the big retailers seem to be doing exclusives now, how is it really advantageous? Or is it just a matter of trying to keep up with everyone else?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
From Matthew Chmiel posted on dvdtalk. MGM exclusives for Wal-Mart starting on July 5th: Throw Momma From The Train A Fish Called Wanda It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World When Harry Met Sally Legally Blonde Lionsgate/Miramax exclusives for Wal-Mart starting on: September 13th Trainspotting September 20th Scary Movie 2 Scary Movie 3 The Others September 27th The Crow Mimic October 4th Jackie Brown

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
How about IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT -WIND AND THE LION- HAWAII.and THE GREAT ESCAPE.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jarod M said:
I wish someone could explain the economics of these deals.  I don't understand how it benefits Wal-Mart enough to want to do it, especially on $10 titles.  And considering all the big retailers seem to be doing exclusives now, how is it really advantageous?  Or is it just a matter of trying to keep up with everyone else?

It helps bring some people into their store where they might some stuff that they wouldn't been in the store to buy otherwise. And while I'm sure that Wal Mart has to pay to have them as their exclusives, Wal Mart is the only place where you have to buy the movie from. Even if you buy a copy on eBay, it came from Wal Mart so they've always made some money from every copy of the Blu-ray.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I just placed an order online for IAMMMW

Came to $12.81 with tax and shipping. Still

a great deal considering I don't have to drive

all the way out to Walmart to find it.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I suppose this has to be done...

Even though it can't help but go down as a missed opportunity, since it isn't the release we all continue to wait and live for...

Jarod M

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by TravisR

I wish someone could explain the economics of these deals. I don't understand how it benefits Wal-Mart enough to want to do it, especially on $10 titles. And considering all the big retailers seem to be doing exclusives now, how is it really advantageous? Or is it just a matter of trying to keep up with everyone else?

It helps bring some people into their store where they might some stuff that they wouldn't been in the store to buy otherwise. And while I'm sure that Wal Mart has to pay to have them as their exclusives, Wal Mart is the only place where you have to buy the movie from. Even if you buy a copy on eBay, it came from Wal Mart so they've always made some money from every copy of the Blu-ray.[/QUOTE]
That's a possibility, but how much extra would Wal-Mart be willing to pay for more store traffic? My personal observation is that Wal-Mart is the least-likely retailer in America to be overly concerned with generating MORE traffic into the store.

The price paid would have to be enough for the studios to want to limit availability, which makes it harder for the consumer, of course. The advantages don't seem to outweigh the disadvantages, especially when the exclusives are spread out over several retailers, which just increases the confusion and frustration for the consumer.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
these exclusives have one thing I like - they're announced only a few weeks before they street (Mavericl, City Slickers, Modnight Cowboy,the Firm, It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, When Harry Met Sally etc)

Non exclusives are announced 3 to 6 months before they street (6 months guys,(Star Wars) come on)

I would guess we'll see many more MGM titles popping up at Walmart before the Holiday Seasons ends this year

But...if they look anything like "The Big Country" ...then Great!

But If they look like "The Greatest Story Ever Told...then &$&#&@^#*$

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Paul_Scott

Can't wait for IAMMMMW! I caught one of the showings on MGMHD last year and it looked pretty good- much better than the DVD, although it did look like there could be a lot of edge halos. Generally I've been very happy with MGM catalog. For a retailer exclusive The Big Country is an outstanding value disc, so hopefully this one will be right up there as well.

Did the MGMHD showing have the Overture, Intermission, Entr'acte and Exit Music? I really missed the Overture and Exit Music on the DVD. I will pick this up for this is one of my favorite films, but I still hope for a restoration of the film to include the cut scenes at some time. Until them the Laser will still spin.

On a different note - does anyone have a audio or script copy of the intermission police calls? This is one of the few parts of the film that still eludes me. Thanks.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Jarod M I have not been in a Wal-Mart for at least seven years until I popped in for a copy of THE BIG COUNTRY. So the exclusive worked in getting me in the store, but not for them, for I did not and would not purchase any additional items. This will work again on a couple of the new exclusive titles, but again nothing else will be bought.

While I agree with you Jarod on you observation on Wal-Mart, their sales are down and I see them scrambling to reverse the trend and are using this to get more store traffic. While they are still the bully on the block, part of that chip has been knocked off. As for as MGM is concerned, this is a win-win situation, surly they get some payment for letting Wal-Mart have first crack at the titles, but I would bet that the titles show up on Amazon and other sites in six months or less. This is also a win situation for us for we are getting titles we want that appear to be good transfers, only they are not treated as special editions with new extras added. I will be interested in hearing how these transfers rate and the good news is that it will only be in a couple of weeks and not months.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
A great film with a legendary cast! I too dont shop a Walmart but will be popping in for this purchase!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks