Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Denon AVR-1912: A Newbie's Dilemma

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   spillenger

spillenger

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted June 16 2011 - 04:17 AM

I just bought a Denon AVR-1912. Here are the other components I'm running through and from it:

Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray; Samsung HP-T5054 720p Plasma Display; Motorola QIP-7216 PVR (cable box). Everything is connected via HDMI. I have some questions:

1. Should I be able to route both audio and video from from the cable box and the blu-ray player through HDMI through the AVR to the monitor? Are there handshake issues anywhere in this configuration?

2. With my cable TV, but not with my blu-ray player, I am getting a 16x9 aspect ratio but the frame is smaller than the monitor -- by about 15-20%. It's like a rectangle within a rectangle. I've tried to figure out if there is any adjustment I can make to the video processing part of the Denon's setup (I've already done the initial easy setup), but I can't figure out from the manual how to even access the video setup. I press MENU on the remote, and nothing happens! I press SETUP -- same thing. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I should be able to find out whether the AVR is sending through all the video resolution the Samsung is capable of displaying, no? How do you access the MENU or SETUP on the Denon after you've done the initial setup?

3. Sometimes when I try to use the Oppo or watch cable TV, I get a "Mode Not Supported" error message on the display. Usually it goes away quickly; sometimes it doesn't. What's up with that?

4. It's been suggested that I can't in fact route both cable and the Oppo through the Denon, though being able to do that seemed to be the whole point of having an AVR. I'm told I need to run the cable box straight into the display, and run an optical cable to the receiver. Why is this, and doesn't it defeat the purpose of an AVR?

5. Since the Denon and the Oppo are new purchases, does that make it likely that either the Samsung display or the cable box is behind the curve somehow in its technology and is unable to handle the full potential of HDMI?

6. Should I be setting my cable box for 720 or 1080? How about the Oppo? And the Denon (assuming I can access settings)?

7. Finally, is there some site like Denon AVR-1912 for dummies? I've been to the batpigworld site, and it's a noble effort but doesn't begin to answer my questions.

Many thanks.

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   winniw

winniw

Second Unit

• 287 posts

Posted June 16 2011 - 12:50 PM

Man, I am NO expert here at all.  I really don't have any answers... only more questions.

I think that everything should work as you had imagined, using your AVR as a hub.

Does your cable box have HDMI output?

It seems that if your TV is 720, you should set your cable box and Oppo to 720 but I don't know for sure.  I think that may be why you are getting "mode not supported" messages, because you are sending 1080 to a 720 TV... but I don't know.

Well, you have a nice receiver and a fantastic BD player... maybe you should upgrade your TV!  I would.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,734 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted June 16 2011 - 01:38 PM

You should be able to hook everything up with hdmi cables.

Be sure to press the "Amp" button on the remote control to operate the receiver. Press the Menu button to access the setup menu.

I'd set both the cable box and OPPO to output 720. Try and figure out how to set the receiver to "pass-through" the video signal without any processing otherwise it will probably convert the 720 signal back to 1080 (which your display will have to convert back to 720.

I also hate Denon/Marantz manuals.

Fellow member David Willow found this Denon to English Dictionary from BatPigWorld.com.

"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   sminyard

sminyard

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted June 29 2011 - 07:14 AM

#4 You can definitely connect both through the AVR with HDMI cables, but there are reasons not to connect the cable box that way. First, you lose the ability to watch TV while also listening to music through your AVR, since the AVR must be in "standby" mode to pass the signal to your TV. Likewise, if you ever get a TV that streams Netflix or some other service, you won't be able to listen to that source through your AVR. You can fix both of these problems by hooking up an HDMI cable directly from your cable box to TV, and then run an optical from TV to AVR (or cable box to AVR if you aren't concerned about Netflix or other streaming services).

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   rayman1701

rayman1701

Stunt Coordinator

• 231 posts
  • LocationOutside Chicago

Posted June 29 2011 - 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by sminyard 

#4 You can definitely connect both through the AVR with HDMI cables, but there are reasons not to connect the cable box that way. First, you lose the ability to watch TV while also listening to music through your AVR, since the AVR must be in "standby" mode to pass the signal to your TV. Likewise, if you ever get a TV that streams Netflix or some other service, you won't be able to listen to that source through your AVR. You can fix both of these problems by hooking up an HDMI cable directly from your cable box to TV, and then run an optical from TV to AVR (or cable box to AVR if you aren't concerned about Netflix or other streaming services).

That's not necessarily true.  IF your cable box has component video outputs and they are live at the same time as the HDMI, you could also run those thru the AVR (on the same input as the HDMI, [like TV 1 or whatever])and when a digital signal is not present it'll output the analog one (I presume that 1 it has component inputs and 2. that it cross-converts component to HDMI out).  That's how I have my Dish Network box hooked up and have no issues watching TV while listening to music, without changing inputs on the TV.  Now if the TV does the streaming of Netflix or something like that, then just run an Optical cable to an input of the AVR to get the sound when that is on, since it doesn't depend on the AVR for a video signal during that. If your using the Oppo to stream it's no different than watching a Blu-ray.

\m/︶︿︶)\m/

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   sminyard

sminyard

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted June 29 2011 - 08:35 AM

That's not necessarily true.  IF your cable box has component video outputs and they are live at the same time as the HDMI, you could also run those thru the AVR (on the same input as the HDMI, [like TV 1 or whatever])and when a digital signal is not present it'll output the analog one (I presume that 1 it has component inputs and 2. that it cross-converts component to HDMI out).  That's how I have my Dish Network box hooked up and have no issues watching TV while listening to music, without changing inputs on the TV.  Now if the TV does the streaming of Netflix or something like that, then just run an Optical cable to an input of the AVR to get the sound when that is on, since it doesn't depend on the AVR for a video signal during that. If your using the Oppo to stream it's no different than watching a Blu-ray.

What do you mean by "when a digital signal is not present"? Isn't the signal from a cable/sat box always digital?

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   rayman1701

rayman1701

Stunt Coordinator

• 231 posts
  • LocationOutside Chicago

Posted June 29 2011 - 08:47 AM

If it has component cables, those are analog, which run thru the AVR and should be able to be converted to HDMI which is digital.  So if you run the compontent to TV-1 and the HDMI also to TV-1, if you change the input to CD (for example) the HDMI input signal is dropped and the AVR should default to the analog component input, and (if the AVR has the capability to) convert the component IN to HDMI out, so you still get a picture from the cable box while listening to a CD (or whatever audio only input).  So as long as you have component outputs on the cable box (and they are "live" at the same time as HDMI out is) and your reciever has component inputs and can convert to HDMI, then you can watch TV while listening to something else.  Now if one or the other has only HDMI then it won't work, or if the cable box can only output either/or HDMI/component but not at the same time...it all falls apart and becomes a real pain.

I hope that was what you were asking....

\m/︶︿︶)\m/

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   greengirl1

greengirl1

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted April 28 2012 - 07:36 AM

I just bought this AVR a few mos ago and am fairly tech savvy. The GUI is very easy to figure out and if you know things about diff cables its not too diff either. There are Component, HDMI and RCA as well as Optical, Google all to see what they look like and do. As far as Cable Box, it uses Component, huge monster of a thing w/5 inputs. The Denon handles them, put in the red and white in audio in proper section for CBL SAT, they break things down in back for different components and make sure when directing RCA cables to speakers that you also route through either L&R, Center or Sub, etc. As far as Cable resolution goes, all broadcasts are still in 720p or 1080i which = same thing. Only bluray is in 1080p, highest res currently on tv. Ive got the component cabled to the back of AVR and the back of the Cable box. Ive got speakers in a Stereo 2.1 setup right now, havent gotten a Center yet so taking my time for the 5.1. Getting sound to function was a bit tricky at first as the AVR 1912 defaults to 5.1 sound and must be manually set in its Audio setup to Other and select 2.1. The paper manual they give is pretty basic and not as detailed as id like especially w/setting up the Remote for example which is going to be a thread i will start next, its a PITA. I hope this helps you as sometimes when we overthing things we miss the easy plug-ins right before us. So I have a Samsung Series 6 TOC HDMI to main slot Output (only one out to a tv). Everything else is Input and that's got my Panasonic BD65 bluray HDMI'd in. You have to hit AMP to get Menu and Setup to come up. Its an extra step and dont know why you must hit it but this is my first AVR. Once you go into Setup initially and go into alpha ordered brand names, it provides codes but i honestly dont know that all things get recognized as i cant get the remote to make an association and turn things on, i must turn on bluray manually and then it will switch back and forth through CBL/SAT for tv and BD for the bluray. You pretty much have to put the detailed CD in to a laptop to read finer details. Its fairly easy if youre just plugging in BD and any HDMI components, no cable box. Most Cable boxes from cable co dont offer up HDMI inputs or cables, id get one otherwise. There may be options however that you buy w/such an input.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,917 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted April 28 2012 - 10:51 AM

Welcome Phebe!