What's new

Does every new show come out on DVD nowadays? (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I really don't pay attention to current releases as while I may watch a few current shows every season, I feel no need to own copies of them. So, I'm just curious, does almost every show, even the ones that bomb, get a release these days? Even from studios like Sony and Fox, which have abandoned their back catalogues entirely? What about spring tryout shows that run 4-6 episodes? Do they even put those out or do you still have to record them yourself if you want to ever see them again?

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
Many of them do, but not quite all of 'em it seems.

I've noticed 2-3 that haven't gone to DVD as yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually show up.

ThatDonGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Del Grande
It might depend on how many episodes were made. (Has Running Wilde been announced for a release?)

Also, I have noticed that animated series that only have 13 (or even just six, in the case of Clerks) episodes are more likely to be released than similar-length live-action series; my best guess is, since animation is more expensive, they are more likely to release a DVD as an additional source of income.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Nope. Journeyman still missing, as well as that one about the college kids framed as terrorists... Plus, canceled shows often only get released on DVD and do not get a BluRay release (which ironically pushes people to find HD versions elsewhere).

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Outright bombs normally will not make it to DVD..

Let's just say if you're holding out hope for a "Paul Reiser Show" DVD set, you might be waiting a very, very long time.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
Outright bombs normally will not make it to DVD.
I wonder if there's any show that's gotten a second (or more) season that didn't also have a DVD release. I'm sure there's reality/game shows that don't get DVD releases but I can't think of a scripted show that hasn't had a DVD release of its first season.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by TravisR

Outright bombs normally will not make it to DVD.

I wonder if there's any show that's gotten a second (or more) season that didn't also have a DVD release. I'm sure there's reality/game shows that don't get DVD releases but I can't think of a scripted show that hasn't had a DVD release of its first season.[/QUOTE]

That's an easy one to answer: Cold Case which has nightmare music rights clearance issues and will likely never see the light of DVD day.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
MattH. said:
That's an easy one to answer: Cold Case which has nightmare music rights clearance issues and will likely never see the light of DVD day.

I forgot about that one but, as you said, there was extenuating circumstances in that case (pun intended). There must be a few other random examples like that too.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
How far back are we talking? The Law and Harry McGraw which was a spin-off from Murder, She Wrote and only lasted one season hasn't been issued on DVD (to the best of my knowledge).

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Still Standing is one of the few moderate successes of the last decade not represented on DVD at all. Ran for four years from 2002-2006 (I think), and in cable reruns now, but no discs. But in general, I would say, most network shows that go at least 13 episodes nowadays get DVD releases.

John L

Grip
Real Name
John
What about Journeyman ? It ran for a 13 episode season and was quite popular. Is it stuck in music licensing hell ?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
MattH. said:
How far back are we talking? The Law and Harry McGraw which was a spin-off from Murder, She Wrote and only lasted one season hasn't been issued on DVD (to the best of my knowledge).
I'm talking about since TV on DVD took off in popularity, which would be I suppose from the early 2000s. Law and Harry McGraw was late 80s or so. Personally, if I had an interest in archiving any modern television shows, which I don't, I would still be recording them myself. Then, if it comes out on DVD and its not edited or has music replacements or any other tampering done, you can just chuck out your homemade recordings. At 30 cents or so for a quality blank DVD disc, you're talking about an investment of around 3 dollars for a full season of an hour show, under $2 for a half hour one. And then if it doesn't come out, you have the show you want anyway and it doesn't matter as much. But then that requires a modicum of effort and that seems to be in short supply these days.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Neil Brock said:
I'm talking about since TV on DVD took off in popularity, which would be I suppose from the early 2000s. Law and Harry McGraw was late 80s or so. Personally, if I had an interest in archiving any modern television shows, which I don't, I would still be recording them myself. Then, if it comes out on DVD and its not edited or has music replacements or any other tampering done, you can just chuck out your homemade recordings. At 30 cents or so for a quality blank DVD disc, you're talking about an investment of around 3 dollars for a full season of an hour show, under $2 for a half hour one. And then if it doesn't come out, you have the show you want anyway and it doesn't matter as much. But then that requires a modicum of effort and that seems to be in short supply these days.
Depending on how you capture shows, another approach is to buy an external hard drive to store content. I capture my shows from a DVR straight to my computer through a USB capture card. Then I can edit out commercials and such while I have them on the drive, reorder them if broadcast out of order, as well as author them to DVD with menu's and such if I choose to at a later date. I actually enjoy the process of trying to put a bit of professionalism around my personal captures. Even creating appropriate covers for my disk cases. I tend to use standard size cases that hold 4 DVD's each. I have 3 TB's of storage space that equates to about 650 DVD's. When I purchased my last 1 TB drive it was about $100. I choose to buy standard size internal hard drives that I put into a multi-disk external enclosure with a fan. It seems like many of the "book" like external drives lack fan support, which would tend to make then not last as long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks