What's new

Simon&Simon-Season 6 (1 Viewer)

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
Brian Ward from Scout Factory said that they´ll probably never release Season 6 due to the enormous costs of the music rights.

I hope that they´ll find a solution.

By the way, what do you all think of the picture quality of Season 5?

I thought the picture quality was annoying!

It looked like an old VHS cassette.

I thought that the picture quality of Season 2-4 was much better than of Season 5?

What do you think?

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by cajunhillbilly
I am still going through season 2. Haven't gotten to season 5 yet
I have S1-S4 on dvd, but did not buy S5 as it was Shout Factory Direct. I will wait to see how things play it self out with Simon & Simon as i am non-commital on purchasing directly from Shout Factory.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I have season 5, but have not watched it yet. If Shout does not put out seasons 6, 7 and 8 I guess I will go to "other sources".

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Madman will be releasing Simon & Simon on DVD in July (I emailed them, asking about the series and whether they would release it, a few weeks ago). I'm assuming they'll be starting back at the beginning with the first season. So I'm hoping they'll get to Season 5 and after that.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by cajunhillbilly
Let's hope they put out seasons 6, 7 and 8
Same here. I'm assuming it all depends on how well Seasons 1-5 sell (if they are starting with Season 1 next month). If Madman do get to Season 8 but don't include the 1995 reunion TV movie with it, at least it was included with Shout! Select's release of Season 5. I gathered from Madman's email reply that Simon & Simon (and Quincy, M.E.: Season 3) will not appear on their website until their release in July.

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
Season three of Quincy, M.E. is scheduled for July 20th, along with the fouth season of both McCloud and McMillan and Wife. No news re: S&S.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
This isn't an early April Fools joke for 2012 is it? If not, this is a turnaround...and many thanks for sharing this news.

Regarding the $49.99 price. Not that bad to be honest. The fifth season, also a Shout! Select title, was the same price on Amazon.com Marketplace. And like with Fabulous Films' Tour of Duty: Season 1 set, the price isn't that bad if the music is mostly or completely intact. Now because the sixth season of Simon & Simon consisted of 22 episodes, the price is fine. If, IF, the seventh season is released, the price should be dropped down a bit (as there were only 16 episodes).

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Yes the price for season 7 and 8 should be lower due to fewer episodes in those seasons. Hope we see them soon.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
But when we're not selling sets in bulk, but one at a time, we can't afford to make them that much cheaper. We'd never cover the cost of production that way! We're not burning these things on demand. We're producing full runs.

He is contradicting himself here- on the one hand he says we can't afford to sell them cheaper when we sell them one at a time and on the other hand he says they produce full runs?! If these are not available in retail and will be sold one at a time then why are they producing full runs?? They should produce a limited run and look to sell those first and if they do sell out then print up another batch. A smaller run would mean your costs are lower since you are not producing as much thus you would be able to lower the price a bit.

Its too bad VEI couldn't get its hands on Simon & Simon, I am sure they would have released all 8 seasons and we wouldn't have to go through this long waiting process which we are going through now with Shout! and their stupid Select program where they take forever to release another season.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
TVonDVDJunkie05 said:
A smaller run would mean your costs are lower since you are not producing as much thus you would be able to lower the price a bit.
Overall costs might be lower, but not necessarily the cost attributed to each set produced. I'm betting there are standard costs that are attributed to any run. So the larger the run increases the raw material costs but not the standard cost. Like many types of production, you would get savings on each item produced by doing larger runs, not smaller ones. Following your suggestion would probably increase the price, not lower it.
Now doing larger runs puts them at more risk because they footed the bill upfront and it takes longer to recoup the costs selling in smaller quantites then in bulk to distributors, which is why they keep at the SRP price and don't have the sales as often or to the same degree as an Amazon would. If an item showed it had a large consumer following it would most likely be distributed in bulk to an Amazon but obviously sales have shown it has a smaller following.
At least this is how I understand typical production concepts.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Originally Posted by smithb /t/312188/simon-simon-season-6#post_3880738
Overall costs might be lower, but not necessarily the cost attributed to each set produced. I'm betting there are standard costs that are attributed to any run. So the larger the run increases the raw material costs but not the standard cost. Like many types of production, you would get savings on each item produced by doing larger runs, not smaller ones. Following your suggestion would probably increase the price, not lower it.
Now doing larger runs puts them at more risk because they footed the bill upfront and it takes longer to recoup the costs selling in smaller quantites then in bulk to distributors, which is why they keep at the SRP price and don't have the sales as often or to the same degree as an Amazon would. If an item showed it had a large consumer following it would most likely be distributed in bulk to an Amazon but obviously sales have shown it has a smaller following.
At least this is how I understand typical production concepts.

Thanks for your insight, It seems my logic was incorrect regarding costs of production.

According to your statements, it appears as though this select program Shout! has implemented whereby they self direct to consumer is a bit of a gamble and not necessarily the profit producer one might think it is?! Producing larger runs appears to be cheaper than smaller ones but on the other hand they have more stock to sell and if they don't sell enough they might wind up losing money. I wonder then what the incentive is for them to sell things in this manner, since not only are the costs about the same (probably only slightly lower then retail) but they are now limited the consumer base they are selling to- Select titles are targeted mainly at die hard fans instead of all potential fans of the series (hardcore and casual)?!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks