What's new

Which screen goes with the Epson 8700? (1 Viewer)

theresme1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny Le
I am planning to buy an Epson 8700. I want to be able to watch movie in the dark and in the light too. Which screen should I get to be able to do both. My budget is about $600 and the screen size I'm looking for is about 100".

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
What do you mean by "in the light"? The room needs to be reasonably dark. If not, you're defeating the purpose of the 8700's excellent black levels, and you may as well buy the cheaper 8350.

theresme1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny Le
What I mean is that I want to watch movie with out the room being completely dark. Let say I'm watching a sporting even I don't want the room to be totally dark. Is the Epson 8700 only made to be view in the dark?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
No, it can be used with lights on, but the image will suffer. The best lighting to use is recessed can lights on dimmers, and keep it as dim as possible. As far as the screen, I would go with a gray screen.

theresme1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny Le
Thank you, Jim. I do plan to go with recess can light with a dimmer. If I am watching a sporting event I just don't want to watch it in complete dark thats all.

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
Well, the projector may light up the room bright enough for what you want but if it doesn't, you can turn on a light or two maybe.

I have the Epson 8350, which is a little brighter than the 8700 according to specs. But, I am guessing that on the brightest mode of the 8700, you will be able to turn on a light, especially a recessed can-light, without any problem. I mean, if you are watching sports, you are not concerned about black levels. When you are watching a movie, you will want the lights off.

I took some quick pics for you to see this. The quality of the pics is poor but they show what you need to know. They are blurry because it was live TV. To do this right, I should have used a BluRay on pause. Anyway...

Go to: http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk243/NickWizard/

Look at the pic titled "x.v. color mode" this the lowest light setting on the projector, which I use for watching movies in a dark room. Note that this is a dark scene on the darkest setting and you can still see it. Of course there is no detail in the blacks, but it is viewable.

These pics were taken at 11:00 am. You can see a 60 watt table lamp on in the room. There is also some ambient light coming from the window, from the kitchen and down the hall.

The pic titled Dynamic mode is the brightest setting on the projector. You will notice that on that setting, the room is brighter from the projectors reflection off the screen and walls. This is a bright scene, much as you would have with sports, on the brightest setting.

BTW, this screen is an Elite CineWhite surface.

I don't want to leave these poor quality pics up. I may delete them in a few days, or replace them with better ones, later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks