What's new

THE FOX AND THE HOUND on Blu-Ray - first look (1 Viewer)

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
I just got THE FOX AND THE HOUND on Blu-ray as an early exclusive from the Disney Movie Club, two months before it hits retail! I haven't watched it yet, but I skimmed through it and took some screen captures using VLC. I then took screen captures from the last DVD release as a comparison. I didn't always get the exact frame, but I got as close as I could. The DVD included in the Blu-Ray package is the widescreen remastered transfer, unlike the ALICE IN WONDERLAND Blu-ray/DVD combo where the DVD did not have the newest, remastered transfer.

I made the Blu-ray captures in full 1920x1080 resolution, but they appear downscaled in this post. Just click on a picture and drag it to your desktop to save it and then open it in its full resolution. It's nice to finally see the movie in widescreen, though I wonder if 1.66:1 is the correct aspect ratio. The transfer is miles ahead of the one used for the previous DVD releases (which to my eyes was EXACTLY the same, save for some additional digital processing on the 2006 DVD - all the DVD incarnations looked like the early 90's video master used for the VHS release), and it is interesting how DARK it appears in these captures. It isn't quite so dark on my HDTV.

2011 Blu-Ray

FOXANDTHEHOUNDBLU1.jpg

2006 DVD
FOXANDTHEHOUNDBLU1DVD.jpg

2011 Blu-Ray

FOXANDTHEHOUNDBLU2.jpg

2006 DVD
FOXANDTHEHOUNDBLU2DVD.jpg

2011 Blu-Ray

FOXANDTHEHOUNDBLU3.jpg

2006 DVD
FOXANDTHEHOUNDBLU3DVD.jpg

2011 Blu-Ray

FOXANDTHEHOUNDBLU4.jpg

2006 DVD
FOXANDTHEHOUNDBLU4DVD.jpg

2011 Blu-Ray

FOXANDTHEHOUNDBLU5.jpg

2006 DVD
FOXANDTHEHOUNDBLU5DVD.jpg

2011 Blu-Ray

FOXANDTHEHOUNDBLU6.jpg

2006 DVD
FOXANDTHEHOUNDBLU6DVD.jpg

2011 Blu-Ray

FOXANDTHEHOUNDBLU7.jpg

2006 DVD
FOXANDTHEHOUNDBLU7DVD.jpg

2011 Blu-Ray

FOXANDTHEHOUNDBLU8.jpg

2006 DVD
FOXANDTHEHOUNDBLU8DVD.jpg

2011 Blu-Ray

FOXANDTHEHOUNDBLU9.jpg

2006 DVD
FOXANDTHEHOUNDBLU9DVD.jpg

2011 Blu-Ray

FOXANDTHEHOUNDBLU10.jpg

2006 DVD
FOXANDTHEHOUNDBLU10DVD.jpg

2011 Blu-Ray

FOXANDTHEHOUNDBLU11.jpg

2006 DVD
FOXANDTHEHOUNDBLU11DVD.jpg

2011 Blu-Ray

FOXANDTHEHOUNDBLU12.jpg

2006 DVD
FOXANDTHEHOUNDBLU12DVD.jpg

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Glad to see that a non-precious-metal Disney animated film got a good transfer. My purchase was riding on the transfer quality, and it looks like this is safe to buy.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
I'd forgotten how good the waterfall looked in this movie... the BR looks fantastic (even downscaled). This might actually go on the "to pick up" list now...

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm still not excited over the release, but those caps look really sweet on my computer monitor. It's still on my Get list solely by being a classic Disney movie. Thanks Chuck!

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by MatthewA

Glad to see that a non-precious-metal Disney animated film got a good transfer. My purchase was riding on the transfer quality, and it looks like this is safe to buy.

I agree. It's very good to see that a movie from the so called 'Disney Dark Ages' has been given the proper care in terms of PQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks