What's new

iOS 5, new features discussion (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
About time we kicked off this discussion. I know most of us won't have this until September, but it's probably best to discuss as its own topic seperate from the WWDC recap.

First thing that I didn't realize was going to be cool: Individualized vibrations. In a polite conversation and phone's on vibe and rings, but don't want to be rude and take the call if it's not someone super important in your life? Set vibe patters for just those folks you WANT to know are calling.

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/06/08/ios-5-first-look-led-alerts-custom-vibrations/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+TheNextWeb+%28The+Next+Web+All+Stories%29

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
More application specific keyboard support, like this one for Twitter:

http://parislemon.com/post/6313839628/its-like-the-com-button-which-appears-when

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Here's a nice place to start :)

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/features.html

I didn't know about the custom-vibe option. Also to be custom sounds for various alerts. It will be nice to get better sounds for reminders and notifications. But, any word on custom SMS tones? (Likewise, for iMessage)? That's been a weird holdout by Apple.

Re: keyboards. Perhaps there will finally be a numeric keypad for entering numbers? I have a number of web passwords that are keypad-optimized. But there's no keypad option with the normal keyboard. I'd like that Numbers keyboard option to be more available.

And, finally signs of a Week view in Calendar! (huzzah!) I hope the Month view is also refreshed.

I'm not particularly excited about the PC Free per se, but I'm hopeful for a unified syncing solution. Manually syncing multiple apps and iTunes is a drag. Perhaps this plus iCloud will eliminate that problem.

iMessage...I'm overly optimistic about, imagining I'll be able to reduce my SMS plan and save maybe $60 / yr. (grrr...SMS...gouged by the oligarchy)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Duh, great link. Why didn't I think of that? =p

Another good roundup.

http://www.macstories.net/stories/ios-5-8-other-features-we-love/

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
An overview of iTunes Match.http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/06/what-you-need-to-know-about-itunes-match-your-questions-answered.ars I at least understand how it works, even if I still don't understand why it's worth $25 a year.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I installed the iOS 5 beta on my iPhone 4 last night...and I'm thinking of installing it on my iPad. So far, so good.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
$25 is a pretty arbitrary figure. Some might prefer to pay 7 cents for a day, launder all their music, keep their clean copies, and run. But you make the minimum term a year, and the music publishers get more pennies.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Ken Chan said:
$25 is a pretty arbitrary figure. Some might prefer to pay 7 cents for a day, launder all their music, keep their clean copies, and run. But you make the minimum term a year, and the music publishers get more pennies.
Yeah, the launder music part is what I wonder. I see people with gigabytes of.... let's say "Limewire'd" music. If they just pay $25 and it's suddenly laundered, wow do I feel foolish for actually paying over the years ;) I'm still not sure at all how that works. On the other hand, there is no way it scans you and reports you as a pirate.. the moment that happens, you'd have market panic.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
25,000 song limit would put the squeeze on the crazy-collectors.

Originally Posted by Ken Chan

I don't think Apple views this as a hit-and-run service where all former kiddy pirates, now grown up, with jobs and newly found consciences, do a one-time "laundering" and there's no users the second year.

So: Why is this not free. What's the use-case? What's the model user for the service? What makes it worth paying for at all? I'm beginning to get some thoughts on who would want this service, but I'm still largely mystified by it. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Interesting. I wonder if we'll get assignable text-tones, too (specify text-tone per contact as with ringtones)?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Originally Posted by Steve Tannehill

I installed the iOS 5 beta on my iPhone 4 last night...and I'm thinking of installing it on my iPad. So far, so good.

Word is that some things are a bit hinky still, and you can't go back, so do this with caution if you only have a primary device and aren't using this to really beta things you are developing. I've seen comments that Facetime in particular is broken at this time.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Actually, there are reports that you can go back to iOS 4.3.3, but Apple does not officially support it.

I just got FaceTime to work between my Mac and the iPhone.

I could tell you more, but then I would have to kill you. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've been wondering if Apple learned the lesson from iOS4's poor performance on the iPhone 3G: will iOS5 run fine on the 3GS and 4? Or will the the first six months be plagued by inferior performance on some phones?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Originally Posted by DaveF

I've been wondering if Apple learned the lesson from iOS4's poor performance on the iPhone 4G: will iOS5 run fine on the 3GS and 4? Or will the the first six months be plagued by inferior performance on some phones?

Actually, that was iPhone 3G that had the initial performance problems with iOS 4.

Apple says that iOS 5 is designed for the iPhone 3GS and 4.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Fixed the typo :)

Apple said iOS4 was designed for the 3G (and 3GS, 4), but ran terribly on it. It seems they didn't actually test it enough on older hardware. Did they learn the lesson -- is that partly why iOS5 isn't coming out until Fall? Or might Apple blunder again and release iOS5 that runs badly on the 3GS, while great on the 4 and 4S?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
In the latest 5by5 podcast "Build and Analyze", Marco Arment said he'd heard there's an iOS5 feature that could improve app speed, with little work by developers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks