What's new

Speaker questions (1 Viewer)

dsway

Auditioning
Real Name
doug way
We are in the proccess of building our dedicated 13x22 home theater. We have 2 rows of seating with about 3 feet to the side walls and 5 feet from the back wall. Is this room big enough for 7.1 or should we do 5.1. We are using Def. Tech. Mythos STs for the mains, Mythos ten for the Center, and Gem XLs for surrounds. We are using an epson 9700 and a 120" screen. If the Mythos STs and the ten were behind velvet curtains would it affect the sound much? Thanks for any help.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If the Mythos STs and the ten were behind velvet curtains would it affect the sound much?
Yes. Velvet is a heavy material and it will muffle the upper mids and highs. Maybe your receiver's EQ will compensate for it when auto calibrating but probably not.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You want to put velvet in FRONT of the speakers? I'd scrap the entire idea of an HT first. In other words, no, that is not a good dea.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by dsway that is a really handy resource.

Keep in mind, there isn't a whole lot of native 7.1 material out there (but the list is growing). I wouldn't "force" a 7.1 system if it will seriously compromise the quality of the speakers you get. If budget is tight, you can plan for 7.1 in the future (i.e. run wire for the rear surrounds), but get a 5.1 speaker system for now. You can always add the last two speakers at a later date. Never mind - it sounds like you have all the speakers already.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks