-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"West Side Story" blu-ray Street Date:October 17th

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
206 replies to this topic

#1 of 207 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted June 07 2011 - 09:48 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

and no, that's not the real cover

#2 of 207 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted June 07 2011 - 04:57 PM

UK release cover (Not to crazy about it though)

(I actually think my truly chessy cover is somewhat better)

#3 of 207 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,148 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted June 08 2011 - 07:06 AM

Saul Bass is spinning in his grave so fast he could put the Jets and the Sharks to shame.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#4 of 207 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,193 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted June 08 2011 - 09:23 AM

Eeewwwww.  That is truly ugly.

#5 of 207 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,032 posts

Posted June 08 2011 - 09:26 AM

That cover art is hardly a masterpiece, but I'm having a hard time understanding why everyone seems to hate it so much. It retains the original logo and just rearranges the original design a bit.  I, too, generally prefer the studios just use the original art more-or-less as-is, but considering some of the other abominations out there, this doesn't look half bad to me.

#6 of 207 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted June 08 2011 - 09:41 AM

It's not that bad. At least it isn't plastered with faces. It retains the abstract look of the play and film.

#7 of 207 Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 838 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted June 08 2011 - 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by cafink 

That cover art is hardly a masterpiece, but I'm having a hard time understanding why everyone seems to hate it so much. It retains the original logo and just rearranges the original design a bit.  I, too, generally prefer the studios just use the original art more-or-less as-is, but considering some of the other abominations out there, this doesn't look half bad to me.

The main problem I have with this cover is not that it's ugly, but rather that it takes a famous image by a renowned artist (Saul Bass) and shuffles it around. I wouldn't even care if the original poster weren't so well-known. If the studio wants to do something completely unique, fine. If it wants to use Mr. Bass's art/image as it was or very close, fine. It just seems wrong and disrespectful to change it around like that since the original has become a near-trademark. If Mr. Bass had wanted those silhouettes to be dancing on skyscrapers, I imagine he'd have done it that way.

Here's an example I posted on another thread that I think stays with the spirit of the original design (meaning not changed), but does something different and cool:

"There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

#8 of 207 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,193 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted June 08 2011 - 11:23 AM

The skyline is cheesy and doesn't work and the red is off, plus it works better with black rather than white against red.  They should have just stuck with the same cover of the Special Collectors Edition dvd.

But maybe R1 will be better.

#9 of 207 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted June 08 2011 - 12:01 PM

In this case, I just hope that the film itself is spectacular on blu ray.

#10 of 207 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,897 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 07 2011 - 01:35 AM

According to an article I just read, the Collector's Edition for West Side Story comes out Novermber 15th. Here's the illustration for the collector's edition spread. Sorry the picture is so small.

#11 of 207 Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 838 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted July 07 2011 - 01:48 AM

^ That artwork works for me.

"There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

#12 of 207 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted July 07 2011 - 01:54 AM

Very nice! Posted Image

#13 of 207 Phoebus

Phoebus

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted October 16 2011 - 11:42 PM

From what little I've seen and heard of my copy of the bluray so far, I'm rather pleased with it! Sound in 5.1 seems beefy - no idea how it sounds in 7.1 until I get a couple more speakers. Image seems very attractive and absorbing. Lots of 70mm fine detail, but different to today's every follicle, pock-mark and pore camera images. A great sense of it being restored to a former glory, and far crisper than the soft dvd transfer of a few years ago. The dancing in particular seems more involving due to finer detail of movement. Sound seems very interesting, too. Lots of lovely fine detailing I seem to be hearing for the first time. Just a snap shot view, of course.

#14 of 207 AdrianTurner

AdrianTurner

Second Unit

• 371 posts

Posted October 17 2011 - 12:59 AM

The whole point about Saul Bass's original artwork is that the three words - West Side Story - were on different levels, representing a tenement block, linked by the fire escape which was a key setting in the film. The new artwork totally shuns this concept and doesn't replace it with anything interesting. Like the recent Ben-Hur artwork, this is new for the sake of new, created by people who have probably never heard of West Side Story, let alone the genius who was Saul Bass. I haven't got my copy yet - but oddly enough I'm most looking forward to seeing and hearing the multi-colored prologue and that heart-stopping moment when the screen shifts perspective and we get the main title at the bottom. The best part of a great movie!

#15 of 207 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,132 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted October 17 2011 - 02:08 AM

I've always remembered how, at my first viewing, it was such a wonderful surprise when that seemingly random pattern of vertical lines became the NYC skyline.  (It would be several years before I got into Hitchcock and saw North by Northwest.)

And then the end credits?     Best.  Ever.

#16 of 207 Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,931 posts

Posted October 17 2011 - 07:49 AM

Is the song TONIGHT back in sync ?

#17 of 207 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 17 2011 - 08:57 AM

Is there an optional Entr'Acte on this version? And, I too want to know if Tonight is in sync.

#18 of 207 GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted October 17 2011 - 09:04 AM

"Tonight" should not be out of sync on the blu-ray - this is a totally new transfer, and wasn't the sync problem fixed on the DVD at some point?

#19 of 207 Phoebus

Phoebus

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted October 17 2011 - 09:19 AM

Is there an optional Entr'Acte on this version? And, I too want to know if Tonight is in sync.

entracte, yes.. which runs nicely into the following song tonight in sync? not sure.. not looked at the offending previous dvd to see how out of synch that one got.. nothing drastic on the blu, but I dont know how it compares.

#20 of 207 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,466 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted October 17 2011 - 10:14 AM

Robert Wise has always said that this movie was intended to run without an intermission, hence no need for an entr'acte.