Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

Superman: The Motion Picture Anthology Blu-ray

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
100 replies to this topic

#1 of 101 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,725 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted June 06 2011 - 04:34 PM

#2 of 101 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,837 posts

Posted June 06 2011 - 06:21 PM

Video Quality: 3.5/5

The film is accurately framed at 2.40:1 and presented in 1080p with the VC-1 codec. As the first feature film to be shot in high definition with Panavision Genesis HD cameras, initial impressions of the Blu-ray and HD-DVD transfers were divided. Some complained about the all around flatness of the image - from colors to contrast to black levels - while others praised it for its pristine clarity (while still feeling uncertain about the HD format). So five years on, and many more movies shot in HD later, how does it fare? Somewhere above average. While the contrast and color look great, black levels lack a pleasing level of depth and fine detail is noticeably limited, with sometimes hazy wide shots and faces that look plasticky. The image is also subject to the occasional artifact - banding and posterizing specifically. Considering that feature films and TV series continue to be shot with the Genesis, it's safe to assume the picture quality issues are a result of a limited transfer. How this wasn't a homerun is ultimately a headscratcher.

Cameron, great review.  I just wanted to share my opinion about the transfer, as I believe it's the same one that was used for the original BD, which I have seen.  To my eye, the BD replicated the look of the film theatrically - in my opinion, the flaws in the BD you point were mostly visible during the theatrical release.  That banding that you mentioned I definitely remembered seeing in theaters, and overall I was a little surprised at the plasticky faces, image flatness, etc.  In other words, I think those were issues more with the source material than the BD.  I loved Superman Returns, but it never looked really great in theaters the way I would have hoped.  Maybe it's because the camera system was brand new then, and they were still perfecting it and learning how to use it (it's Singer's first HD film, and I'm pretty sure, though not positive, that it was also the DP's).  It's by no means a bad looking film, but theatrically the image quality wasn't the homerun I would have expected for a big budget summer movie either.

#3 of 101 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,725 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted June 06 2011 - 06:44 PM

Thanks Josh. I admit I didn't really take notice of how things looked when I saw the movie theatrically.

#4 of 101 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,837 posts

Posted June 06 2011 - 06:59 PM

[quote]Originally Posted by Cameron Yee [url=/forum/thread/312025/superman-the-motion-picture-anthology-blu-ray#post_3819401]  (Plus, seeing it in IMAX, while an awesome experience overall, did make the flaws in the image that much more noticeable.)

#5 of 101 OFFLINE   Cory S.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts

Posted June 06 2011 - 08:28 PM

Josh is correct.  I never understood the complaints of the BD transfer back in '06.  I saw the film theatrically 4 times and the transfer is pretty on par with what I saw back then.  It's an odd looking film.  I like the look of it but it's just odd.
"Because he's the hero Gotham deserves.  But, not the one it needs right now.  So, we'll hunt.  Because he can take.  Because, he's not a hero.  He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector.  A DARK KNIGHT."

#6 of 101 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Producer

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 06 2011 - 10:50 PM

That's Robert Vaughn not David.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#7 of 101 OFFLINE   Don Giro

Don Giro

Supporting Actor

• 822 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted June 06 2011 - 11:31 PM

I know I'm gonna get fish-slapped for asking, but just how many of the "extras" are new to this set?  I've read about "Look!  Up in the Sky!" being a new extra, but that WAS in the DVD collection, and allowed me to give my stand-alone copy away.  This goes for Singer's "Superman Returns" journals as well, I believe...
When she embraces, your heart turns to stone
She comes at night, when you're all alone
And when she whispers, your blood shall run cold
You'd better hide before she finds you...

#8 of 101 OFFLINE   Mark Oates

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted June 07 2011 - 01:47 AM

There's some obvious soft focus filtering going on through much of the film

Geoffrey Unsworth BSC

J Mark Oates
Do Not Be Afraid. That sound is simply my mind boggling.

#9 of 101 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,725 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted June 07 2011 - 01:55 AM

That's Robert Vaughn not David.

He's no replacement for Gene Hackman either. ;) Thanks, it's been corrected.

I know I'm gonna get fish-slapped for asking, but just how many of the "extras" are new to this set?  I've read about "Look!  Up in the Sky!" being a new extra, but that WAS in the DVD collection, and allowed me to give my stand-alone copy away.  This goes for Singer's "Superman Returns" journals as well, I believe...

No fish slapping here. It's very confusing. The video journals came with the two-disc DVD of Superman Returns but did not come on the single-disc DVD, HD-DVD or BD releases. From what I can gather, the Superman Anthology is essentially a BD release of the 2006 Ultimate Collector's Edition DVD boxed set.

#10 of 101 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,919 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted June 07 2011 - 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Giro [url=/forum/thread/312025/superman-the-motion-picture-anthology-blu-ray#post_3819427]

#11 of 101 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,237 posts

Posted June 07 2011 - 03:24 AM

I've read about "Look!  Up in the Sky!" being a new extra, but that WAS in the DVD collection

I don't remember this being advertised as new, but it was noted as being upgraded to HD.

We have deleted scenes, docs, commentaries, Superpup, cartoons...really, I'm not sure what else there is to delve into.

There is still a lot of deleted footage from the Reeve movies that has still not been officially released (of course, most of it was seen in the extended television versions)

STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#12 of 101 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted June 07 2011 - 08:52 AM

I really want the Superman Returns disc with the complete video diaries and the "return to Krypton" deleted sequence, but I don't want the rest of the films.

I hope they break this set up eventually.

"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#13 of 101 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted June 08 2011 - 02:56 AM

I'm glad I held off buying the separate releases. I definitely wanted the original version of Superman The Movie, and with buying them separately I'd still be missing out on bonus features that were available in the Ultimate Superman DVD Set. I'm glad this set does it right.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#14 of 101 OFFLINE   Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 846 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted June 08 2011 - 03:23 AM

Still not sure if I'll get this set or not. The Amazon UK price is a lot more tempting.

"There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

#15 of 101 OFFLINE   MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60

Supporting Actor

• 561 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted June 08 2011 - 03:28 AM

I'm so incredibly pleased with the theatrical cut of the first movie in this set. It looks about as good as it will ever be, and its *so* good to hear the original mix again. The 5.1 mix is awful -- he can't movie without these dumb new sound effects happening every three seconds. When he takes off from the rooftop after saving Lois and the helicopter, in the original mix its *silent.* In the 5.1 mix there may as well be a guy off screen yelling "WHOOSH" its so distracting.

#16 of 101 OFFLINE   Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 459 posts

Posted June 08 2011 - 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by MattAlbie60 

I'm so incredibly pleased with the theatrical cut of the first movie in this set. It looks about as good as it will ever be, and its *so* good to hear the original mix again. The 5.1 mix is awful -- he can't movie without these dumb new sound effects happening every three seconds. When he takes off from the rooftop after saving Lois and the helicopter, in the original mix its *silent.* In the 5.1 mix there may as well be a guy off screen yelling "WHOOSH" its so distracting.

So what format is the original mix in? DTS-MA 2.0?

#17 of 101 OFFLINE   MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60

Supporting Actor

• 561 posts

Posted June 08 2011 - 06:48 AM

Yep.

#18 of 101 OFFLINE   Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 459 posts

Posted June 08 2011 - 06:56 AM

Thanks. Believe it or not, I didn't find this specifically mentioned in any of the reviews / discussion I've read so far. Not so much the format, but the fact the original mix is on the theatrical version.

#19 of 101 OFFLINE   MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60

Supporting Actor

• 561 posts

Posted June 08 2011 - 07:08 AM

Yeah, for some reason its not getting a lot of mention. Its not even listed on the box, I don't believe. I'm starting to think I may be the only one that truly loathes that 2001 5.1 mix :)

#20 of 101 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted June 08 2011 - 07:20 AM

I don't know about Superman's 5.1 mix specifically, but I always want the original audio mix included alongside any remix, and I appreciate that there are others out there who truly care about the issue.