What's new

? about level 3 setup (1 Viewer)

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
I want to get the best setup. Here are my choices

I want to get 2 full speakers for the fronts, but do I really need them for the rears. Will it still sound really good if I used the bookself speakers back there? Here is what I'm thinking.

1 Center

2 Full

2 Bookself back

1 Dharman Sub

I want my bose 10 Aucus gone.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Yeah, you'd be fine with that setup. In fact, a lot of people get small speakers all around and put that money into getting a better sub.

That Dharman will rock, so you're on your way!!!

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Joel;
Are you talking about the Home Theater Direct Level III Speakers? If so, I will say with a great deal of confidence that this system will be a tremendous improvement over a set of Bose Acoustimass 10 speakers. In fact, those were the speakers I had before I got my HTD set-up.
Just so you know, I have two pairs of bookshelves, a center speaker, and an SVS 16-46PC. I haven't heard the Dharman, but those who have rave about its abilities. You should be more than happy.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Joel;

By the way, concerning the question you posed (which I neglected to answer in my previous post), yes the system will sound fine with two sets of towers in the front and two bookshelves in the back. Those bookselves are designed to match the towers, so you should be all right.

Art_C

Stunt Coordinator
I have the same setup you are considering, minus the Dhmarman. I really don't think you need the towers for the surround. I even think it's a waste to use the mains' for surround, they are so much more capable. The mains and towers use the same woofer and tweeter so they will match perfectly. When I was calibrating with the pink noise going around the room I couldn't tell where one speaker picks up and the other falls off. The only difference is that the towers will give you more bass. And with the dedicated sub you will not need more bass for your rear.

Greg_Bedard

Agent
This is the same answer I posted on a recent post.

I have the HTD Level III system (Combo Y, I think) that has two towers, center and two bookshelfs and a sub and I can't tell you how happy I am with them.

I was happy with them at first but I wasn't blown away. I felt the soundstage was a little small and some of the sound was a little tinny (on some older DVDs).

I don't know if it was biwiring or what, but now after about six months or so with them (and an Onkyo 696) I am really blown away by them. I think they keep sounding better every day.

They are everything I thought they would be and more. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

If you are, send them back.

All the speakers are perfectly matched. I agree that two towers for surround would almost be a waste of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks