Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Do you wish you could live in the past?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
63 replies to this topic

#1 of 64 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,733 posts

Posted June 06 2011 - 06:19 AM

You ever wish you could revisit the days of old?

Would you be happier living in the past?  10, 15 25 years ago, or more?

This goes well beyond my hatred of cell phones(sweet mother of God do I hate them), but it just seems technology is finally gotten to the point of running our lives.  It will only get worse in the future.

Is there an App for living a happy, purposeful life(oh yeah, here it is).

I don't dwell in the past, but I am fearful of the future.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#2 of 64 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,790 posts

Posted June 06 2011 - 06:40 AM

You ever wish you could revisit the days of old?

Nope.  Copied from Wikipedia....

Humans by Era Average Lifespan at Birth
(years)
Comment
Upper Paleolithic 33 At age 15: 39 (to age 54)[6][7]
Neolithic[8] 20  
Bronze Age and Iron Age[9] 26  
Classical Greece[10] 28  
Classical Rome[10] 28 At age 15: 37 (to age 52)  
Pre-Columbian North America[11] 25-30  
Medieval Islamic Caliphate[12] 35+  
Medieval Britain[13][14] 30 At age 21: 38 (to age 59) as an average for British aristocrats [15]
Early Modern Britain[9][16] 15-30 ;
Early 20th Century[17][18] 30-45  
Current world average[19] 67.2 2010 est.

I like the advances in technology - it generally makes life better.  If you are feeling overwhelmed then just disconnect (at least some.)  You still have that choice.

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#3 of 64 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,316 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 06 2011 - 06:41 AM

I don't care that other people want to be 21st century digital boys (credit to Bad Religion) but I don't have any interest in technology like iPods, iPads, video games, cell phones, etc. I think technology is a double edged sword. It's incredible that I can look up an actor that died 5 decades ago or have a sick kid and look up his symptoms and get the info in 30 seconds but at the same time, I think texting and social networking has created a weird disconnect between people where their human interaction mostly comes from a 4 inch screen. I hate people but even I find that weird. :) Based on my tastes, I wouldn't mind living in the late 1960's and into the 1970's. The reality is though that if I had been aware at that time (I was born at the tail end of the 1970's), I'd be bitching that things were better in the 1950's or the 1940's. In short, I need to be happy with who and where I am than caring about the past or what dopey technology others are into.

#4 of 64 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,536 posts

Posted June 06 2011 - 07:34 AM

Some people are always pining away for the "good old days".  If you were talking to people in the 90s, they'd talk about the 70s.  The 70's people would talk about the 50s.  Etc., etc, ad infinitum.  Other than people using cell phones in inappropriate venues (movie theaters, etc.), I can't fathom the objection to them.  My Android tells me if the freeway is jammed as I get off the train.  It would notify me if my house was broken into.  It gives me directions to where I want to go.  Why wouldn't anyone want such advantages?  For that matter, I don't understand the objection to technology in general.  How has it not made our lives longer, more comfortable, better housed, clothed, and fed?

Maybe it's not technology that makes some want the past, but the zeitgeist people associate with a particular age.  I remember thinking people in the 60s were much more optimistic about the future (ironically, they looked forward to better technology!).  Or perhaps they associate it with a happy time in their youth.  At any rate, being happier in the past is far, FAR from guaranteed.

#5 of 64 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,916 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted June 06 2011 - 07:57 AM

I think the "good old days" are a myth, and we just pretend they were better.

#6 of 64 OFFLINE   Don Solosan

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor

• 748 posts

Posted June 06 2011 - 08:22 AM

I wouldn't mind being able to visit an earlier time (for example, Los Angeles from about 1925-1935, when the streets were decorated with small shops in the shapes of igloos, owls, derby hats, dogs, etc), but wouldn't want to stay there.

#7 of 64 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,536 posts

Posted June 06 2011 - 09:03 AM

Yes, visiting the past would be interesting.  Staying there wouldn't be.

#8 of 64 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,896 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted June 06 2011 - 09:28 AM

There are a couple of moments in my life I'd like to Sam Beckett, and visiting a past era would be fun (we need an app for that), but that's it.  I just had to enter a long serial number from the back of my computer and instead of going back and forth to do that, I took a quick picture of it and read it off the phone.  I can check on and set a recording on my DVR from anywhere.  If I went back to the '80s as a kid but had the knowledge of the future, these are things I'd miss.  Also, I'd spend a lot of time thinking how to alert the Feds about 9/11 without getting arrested.

#9 of 64 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,048 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted June 06 2011 - 09:39 AM

I've always had a Army of Darkness look back at the past. IF I could travel back in the past and live there, and I could only pack 1 suitcase, I would pack: 20 Zithromiacin "Z-Packs" 3 bottles of Air-compress foam soap 2 changes of clothes $3,000 worth of current quality gold (small coins) A small automated hand pistol as many pain relievers, mouth wash, condoms, and matchbooks as I could get in a side pocket And I'd fill the rest with loose Ammo. Then, let me go back to anytime, though probably 1500AD would be fine. I'd have a jolly good time then. But being born in those time period without being a time traveller prepared to wreck havoc and go crazy? Hell no, I wouldn't do that ;)

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#10 of 64 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,316 posts

Posted June 06 2011 - 10:42 AM

Also, I'd spend a lot of time thinking how to alert the Feds about 9/11 without getting arrested.

Since I have idiotic conversations with my friends, I've debated the morality of things like that. Everyone would want to thwart Hitler before his rise to power but if you went back in time and killed him, what happens to your original timeline? Is it erased? Does your original timeline continue without you and WWII still happened? Is it right to abandon your original family and friends while you go off to a presumably better alternate timeline where Hitler was killed before he invaded Poland? That's why I like the Lost rules of time travel where you can't change things.

#11 of 64 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted June 06 2011 - 01:44 PM

I am happy i do not live in an era where i have to use the "outhouse". In the winter who would want to get dressed before taking care of business. And running water, yea i need that! Hell, i want to live in the Star Trek future, not the past!

#12 of 64 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,733 posts

Posted June 06 2011 - 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by TravisR 

I think texting and social networking has created a weird disconnect between people where their human interaction mostly comes from a 4 inch screen. I hate people but even I find that weird. Posted Image

Yes.  Exactly.  Tech gadgets are really the only things I hate currently....but they are changing the way people interact.  I'd like to see phone booths again.  If you want to have a private conversation, go in a phone booth.  As it is now I'll be in Best Buy, or Barnes, and Noble and hear  very private conversations from ladies, or men on cell phones 3 feet away from me.  You couldn't wait to get in your car before you spill your soul in front of others?   YEESH!

True story:

A divorced dad had his boy for weekend custody.  I know this because he said it on his cell phone the table over in a resteraunt.  for 40 minutes (the entire time of my meal) he blabbed on his cell to someone else about everything under the sun(weather, sports, politics) while his young son sat across from him bored out of his mind. Felt bad for the boy, wanted to kill the father.

It is stuff like this that makes brilliant inventions an abusive insturment of negelect.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#13 of 64 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted June 06 2011 - 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H 

Also, I'd spend a lot of time thinking how to alert the Feds about 9/11 without getting arrested.

Since I have idiotic conversations with my friends, I've debated the morality of things like that. Everyone would want to thwart Hitler before his rise to power but if you went back in time and killed him, what happens to your original timeline?

Actually, they've already hashed this out over at the International Association of Time Traveler's forum.  (Or they will hash it out in a few years, after time travel is perfected.)   Because the forum members there are even worse about reading the Rules than the members here, almost every new Time Traveler goes back and kills Hitler on his first trip, and then more senior members have to go back and undo the n00b's work because it screws up the subsequent time line.  Posted Image

Regards,

Joe

#14 of 64 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,043 posts

Posted June 07 2011 - 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bryan^H 

A divorced dad had his boy for weekend custody.  I know this because he said it on his cell phone the table over in a resteraunt.  for 40 minutes (the entire time of my meal) he blabbed on his cell to someone else about everything under the sun(weather, sports, politics) while his young son sat across from him bored out of his mind. Felt bad for the boy, wanted to kill the father.

I sympathize, but surely this is a parenting problem, not a technology problem.

#15 of 64 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,292 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted June 07 2011 - 02:31 AM

PlanetMoney did a show on this question: "Would you rather live on $70k today or in 1900?"

http://www.npr.org/b...0/19/130680412/

#16 of 64 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,292 posts

Posted June 07 2011 - 02:40 AM

I don't care that other people want to be 21st century digital boys (credit to Bad Religion) but I don't have any interest in technology like iPods, iPads, video games, cell phones, etc. I think technology is a double edged sword. It's incredible that I can look up an actor that died 5 decades ago or have a sick kid and look up his symptoms and get the info in 30 seconds but at the same time, I think texting and social networking has created a weird disconnect between people where their human interaction mostly comes from a 4 inch screen. I hate people but even I find that weird. Posted Image

Based on my tastes, I wouldn't mind living in the late 1960's and into the 1970's. The reality is though that if I had been aware at that time (I was born at the tail end of the 1970's), I'd be bitching that things were better in the 1950's or the 1940's. In short, I need to be happy with who and where I am than caring about the past or what dopey technology others are into.

Technology is the stuff that doesn't work, everything else is furniture.

That is, "iPads" and "texting" are just our latest consumer toys, a tiny slice of "technology". I dare say we all have great interest in technology: DVD & Blu-ray players, downloadable music, Redi-Mix Concrete. Air Conditioning. Electricity. Indoor plumbing. Antibiotics. Open Heart Surgery. Cars. Bicycles. Plastics. Microwaves. Solar Cells.

Better, with all our modern technology, a person can go get some of that free land in that MattCR mentioned (in the "should my friend move from China" thread), build the self-sustaining, non-technological house of their dreams and live off the grid, happily for the rest of their life. :)

"Technology" is no panacea. But in every age they're looked towards better, easier, more efficient ways of doing things...and then struggled with the unintended consequences. And in every age, they've bemoaned the changing face of society, fearing their destruction was upon them. So we muddle along, always improving, always facing new problems.

#17 of 64 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,790 posts

Posted June 07 2011 - 02:57 AM

Hell, i want to live in the Star Trek future, not the past!

Good point.  If I could choose between now and a post-scarcity future like that posited in Star Trek; that would be an easy choice.

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#18 of 64 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,292 posts

Posted June 07 2011 - 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by RickER 

Hell, i want to live in the Star Trek future, not the past!

Just be careful what color shirt you're assigned when you get there...

#19 of 64 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted June 08 2011 - 10:12 AM

You know, technology always has had its detractors -- or, if not detractors, woeful prognosticators who rue what, say, cell phones and iPads are doing to young people's ability to communicate and interact. Those are attitudes I've viewed with nothing but scorn. (And, really, are young folks exhibiting any difficulties in relating to each other in person? Certainly not that I can tell.)

In my childhood, comic books were held up as a primary cause of (or enabler of) what was then called "juvenile deliquency." I even remember the lowly "transistor radio" being looked at with concern. (I guess for the early 1960s, transistor radios were the MP3 players of their day -- though all they did was provide scratchy AM radio.) As our friend Mr. Kittel noted, one can simply disconnect for a while. (In fact, I recommend that.)

While I might have wanted to visit the past, I'd never want to live there. I'd love to see therapod dinosaurs in action, for crying out loud, but I wouldn't want to live in the Mesozoic Era.

No, as RickER said, I'd rather live in the future. Sorry. I do fear for the survival of our technological civilization (it could be done in all too easily), but I have deep hopes for a future among the stars. And that's where I believe this human race is headed. That's far more exciting to me than, say, going back to 1912 so that I could see the Titanic sink.

#20 of 64 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,316 posts

Posted June 08 2011 - 10:34 AM

You know, technology always has had its detractors -- or, if not detractors, woeful prognosticators who rue what, say, cell phones and iPads are doing to young people's ability to communicate and interact. Those are attitudes I've viewed with nothing but scorn. (And, really, are young folks exhibiting any difficulties in relating to each other in person? Certainly not that I can tell.)

I'm definitely not a person who sits around saying "Oh, these kids today!" Kids are still basically the same as ever but I do think that texting has negatively changed the way human beings interact with each other. I'm not saying that we, as a society, should rise up and topple cell phone towers (clearly, they have many advantages) but I think communicating with a person via text on a phone screen isn't the same as having a face to face conversation or even just conversing on a phone.

Forum Nav Content I Follow