Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Jaws - Blu-ray

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 of 75 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,538 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 03 2011 - 01:09 PM

Ain't It Cool News has a interview with Spielberg and he says that JAWS is being worked on for Blu-ray release.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49897

Spielberg also gives his thoughts on digital tinkering such as removing of wires (he is against) and even suggests that the 1982 version of ET is the best one.

An interesting short interview. 

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#2 of 75 Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,056 posts

Posted June 03 2011 - 01:34 PM

Good to hear. I wonder if he can talk Lucas into re-instating the original shot of the jeep driving over the cliff and the cobra reflection in Raiders.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#3 of 75 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,538 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 03 2011 - 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Worth 

Good to hear. I wonder if he can talk Lucas into re-instating the original shot of the jeep driving over the cliff and the cobra reflection in Raiders.

Or not to tinker with STAR WARS!  Posted Image  I think they are on different paths of thought on the this.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#4 of 75 Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted June 03 2011 - 01:51 PM

While I very much appreciate Mr. Spielberg's position on no digital tinkering, I have no problem with wires being removed or correcting mistakes that do not alter the tone of the film. Blade Runner is a good example. Some of the changes made to Star Wars and Return of The Jedi are examples and tinkering gone too far.

I'm confused on E.T. being mentioned, though. Was it not Spielberg's decision to remove the guns? Isn't it a little hypocritical? Yes, I know the 1982 version was made available too, but the fact that his film comes in an altered form seems to go against what he is now saying.

#5 of 75 Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted June 03 2011 - 01:51 PM

While I very much appreciate Mr. Spielberg's position on no digital tinkering, I have no problem with wires being removed or correcting mistakes that do not alter the tone of the film. Blade Runner is a good example. Some of the changes made to Star Wars and Return of The Jedi are examples and tinkering gone too far.

I'm confused on E.T. being mentioned, though. Was it not Spielberg's decision to remove the guns? Isn't it a little hypocritical? Yes, I know the 1982 version was made available too, but the fact that his film comes in an altered form seems to go against what he is now saying.

#6 of 75 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,627 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted June 03 2011 - 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff Robertson 

While I very much appreciate Mr. Spielberg's position on no digital tinkering, I have no problem with wires being removed or correcting mistakes that do not alter the tone of the film. Blade Runner is a good example.

I agree.  Thats the stuff they would have fixed at the time if the technology was available.  I also have not problem with him leaving them in.

From the interview:

Steven Spielberg: Oh, I know. I totally understand that. (In the future) there’s going to be no more digital enhancements or digital additions to anything based on any film I direct. I’m not going to do any corrections digitally to even wires that show.

If 1941 comes on Blu-Ray I’m not going to go back and take the wires out because the Blu-Ray will bring the wires out that are guiding the airplane down Hollywood Blvd. At this point right now I think letting movies exist in the era, with all the flaws and all of the flourishes, is a wonderful way to mark time and mark history......but my new philosophy on this is to let sleeping dogs lie.

Kind of refreshing Posted Image

#7 of 75 Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,101 posts

Posted June 03 2011 - 02:06 PM

"Was it not Spielberg's decision to remove the guns? Isn't it a little hypocritical?" That was a political choice, not an aesthetic one.

#8 of 75 Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted June 03 2011 - 02:25 PM

It still fits the description of tinkering if you ask me but I understand his motivation in this case.

Originally Posted by Bob Cashill 

"Was it not Spielberg's decision to remove the guns? Isn't it a little hypocritical?" That was a political choice, not an aesthetic one.

#9 of 75 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,157 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 03 2011 - 03:05 PM

Perhaps, over time, he just changed his mind on such matters.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#10 of 75 Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted June 03 2011 - 03:14 PM

Even when the E.T. changes were made he still stepped in for the DVD release and insisted that all releases of the film include the original, unaltered version. He may have made a 'special edition' so that the film's re-release would have a little more draw, but he's never been the revisionist that Lucas has.

"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#11 of 75 Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,101 posts

Posted June 03 2011 - 03:19 PM

"If 1941 comes on Blu-ray..." Not "if," Steven, "when." With the theatrical and extended versions. Pearl Harbor 70th anniversary perhaps? Well, maybe not...

#12 of 75 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,157 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 03 2011 - 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cashill 

"If 1941 comes on Blu-ray..." Not "if," Steven, "when." With the theatrical and extended versions. Pearl Harbor 70th anniversary perhaps? Well, maybe not...

You mean when the Germans attacked Pearl Harbor? Posted Image

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#13 of 75 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,201 posts

Posted June 03 2011 - 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Worth 

We may find out on June 17 when a 30th anniversary showing of a new restored DCP of Raiders is shown at the Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills.

#14 of 75 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,022 posts

Posted June 03 2011 - 03:50 PM

I am positively elated to hear such a prominent director speaking out so strongly against digital tinkering, even of the kind sometimes considered innocuous, like wire removal.  I have no problem with a "special edition" being released, but I always want the original alongside it.  It sounds like that's not something I have to worry about with Speilberg films, and I'm very pleased to hear it.

#15 of 75 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted June 03 2011 - 04:24 PM

I hope when E.T. is released that they reinstate the missing groan from the little alien during a crucial moment in the film. It was missing on the dvd (on both versions.) Steven Spielberg is such an inspiration to me on so many levels.

#16 of 75 Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 588 posts

Posted June 03 2011 - 04:31 PM

Can't wait! I really hope the doc. "The Shark Is Still Working" is included.

#17 of 75 Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,633 posts

Posted June 03 2011 - 04:57 PM

I'm sure any Blu-ray of Jaws will include the full 2-hour documentary from the laserdisc and the 30th Anniversary DVD.

I remember Spielberg saying he switched the guns to walkie talkies in 2002 because they disturbed him in a personal way.  But he did insist that the DVD set include both the revised version and the original one he made - and I remember him holding up the release to make sure that the more available 2-disc set had both versions and not just the more expensive 3-disc set.

I'm not sure what other extras they can come up with for Jaws at this point, unless they want to have somebody in the cast do a commentary.  That documentary (and actually the one that aired on E! a few years ago) was pretty thorough.   There's a little more deleted footage, but I don't think it's anything anyone really wants to see (the full original version of the guy carrying Michael around as the masthead of the shark), and I doubt Spielberg would want that kind of thing on a disc.  But I just can't think of anyone else for them to interview.  Maybe they could include an audio book version of Carl Gottlieb's "The Jaws Log"...

#18 of 75 Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,199 posts

Posted June 03 2011 - 05:01 PM

Great interview, great link, and great to hear Mr. Spielberg talking about the importance of keeping things as they were.  I'd love it if this could extend beyond the picture side of things and also include the original audio tracks as well.  (I have no problem with his decision to tweak E.T. since the original version was provided alongside it.  And the Close Encounters Blu-ray is the perfect example for how to handle a film that's appeared in different versions throughout the years.)

Short story about "The Shark" - not specifically the one in the movie, but worth sharing anyway, I think.  Many years ago, I did a summer film school course at New York Film Academy's Los Angeles program - the advantage to that program was that you actually got to shoot 16mm shorts on the Universal backlot.  For one week's worth of assignments, we were brought to the area known as "Jaws lake" (to anyone that's done the studio tour at Universal, that's the area where the shark comes up out of the water and "attacks" the trolley, which I have to say was freaking awesome as a little kid to experience - they also shot some exteriors for Murder She Wrote in that same location of the lot).  Well, in the middle of the week we were there, the shark broke down.  First, it just didn't come out of the water, so tram after tram would go by, you'd hear the tour guides building it up and the sound effects, and then... nothing.  Finally, they thought the fixed it, and then... the shark came out of the water ass, I mean, tail first!  The first time it happened, none of us could stop laughing - but after a couple hours of this where each tour tram after being set up to see something scary was faced with Jaws' ass instead, we were all losing it.  The people running the tour finally conceded that the thing wasn't working and just abandoned that section of the tour ride altogether, but I will never forget that image as long as I live.

#19 of 75 Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,633 posts

Posted June 04 2011 - 01:04 AM

Gives new meaning to "The Shark is not working!"

#20 of 75 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,468 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 04 2011 - 01:39 AM

I am positively elated to hear such a prominent director speaking out so strongly against digital tinkering, even of the kind sometimes considered innocuous, like wire removal.

On the 30th anniversary DVD, wasn't a wire digitally removed from the buoy when Chrissy gets attacked at the beginning of Jaws?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users