Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WWDC 2011 Live Discussion Thread 6/6/11

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#101 of 117 OFFLINE   Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,075 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted June 07 2011 - 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Sam Posten 

Anyone who still uses tech like 1Password in a post PSN hack world deserves whatever trouble they get down the line IMO.

Huh? The 1Password data file (keychain) is encrypted. As long as you use a good password nobody is getting access.

-Keith

As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#102 of 117 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,104 posts

Posted June 07 2011 - 10:19 AM

And that's why I tattoo my various logons and passwords on my body...Memento style! Hack this! [/url] Anyone who still uses tech like 1Password in a post PSN hack world deserves whatever trouble they get down the line IMO. [/quote]

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#103 of 117 OFFLINE   Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted June 07 2011 - 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by DaveF [url=/forum/thread/311922/wwdc-2011-live-discussion-thread-6-6-11/60#post_3819469] Classic Apple spin.

If Android tablets and portable media players continue to be practically irrelevant, then you might have a point. But if not, then some in the "tech media" might also start using "mobile OS" share as opposed to "smartphone" -- if that formulation helps sell the story they chose to advance.

#104 of 117 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,468 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted June 07 2011 - 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Plucker 

Huh? The 1Password data file (keychain) is encrypted. As long as you use a good password nobody is getting access.

/shrug....  You can choose to believe that, I have my doubts.  And trust me, with the number of passwords I keep I'd love to use something like this.  But a single point of failure that gives up ALL the goodies once it's unlocked?  Madness.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications

#105 of 117 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,249 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted June 07 2011 - 12:25 PM

/shrug....  You can choose to believe that, I have my doubts.  And trust me, with the number of passwords I keep I'd love to use something like this.  But a single point of failure that gives up ALL the goodies once it's unlocked?  Madness. 

Don't you have an RSA SecurID? (Great until they were hacked, I found I have to send mine in now and get them replaced, how lame)
trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#106 of 117 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,299 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted June 07 2011 - 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ken Chan 

There is no streaming. (Use the same voice as, "It's not a tumor.") The idea -- at the moment -- is to "push" the content to your devices. Your Matched music is available from iCloud. It may push them the first time you do the Match; after that, you can download the ones you want. Not clear exactly how that will all be managed. But anyway, the music is on your devices. Play them a million times if you want, no more bandwidth required.

Ah, so this is not like Amazon's CloudPlayer.

But now it makes even less sense. What does it do besides backup music? Is it to be able to swap out music sitting at Starbucks?

#107 of 117 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,468 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted June 07 2011 - 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattCR 

Don't you have an RSA SecurID? (Great until they were hacked, I found I have to send mine in now and get them replaced, how lame)

Not any more.  And that was just one of a hundred logins I have.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications

#108 of 117 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,249 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted June 07 2011 - 12:43 PM

But now it makes even less sense. What does it do besides backup music? Is it to be able to swap out music sitting at Starbucks?

Yeah, now I don't get it either. I don't think your iTunes purchases count against your 5GB, I think that's what you upload or match. I think the 5GB is stuff you add to it, your iTunes purchases are just downloaded out of the iTunes store "on demand" and not saved into your locker.. because saving to your 5GB space would be foolish, Apple would be duplicating storage all over the place.. I could forsee where App purchases are just stored on their end, not downloaded into your local PCs because of that. I don't know if that's good or bad, but I could definitely see that as the direction I think this is moving.
trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#109 of 117 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted June 07 2011 - 01:54 PM

It would have made more sense if it was something which made your home into a Cloud. Like, whenever you have all your laptops and all your phones and ipods under your roof, they silently synch themselves up. I guess maybe it is intended for people who have multiple homes, or who travel for work so often that they never get an opportunity to move their music onto whatever device(s) they take with them.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#110 of 117 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,299 posts

Posted June 07 2011 - 01:58 PM

Maybe, just maybe, they've created a Week view in the iPhone Calendar! http://www.apple.com...tures.html#more

#111 of 117 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted June 07 2011 - 02:38 PM

iTunes with iCloud beta support is out now for download.  iTunes on the iPad has also been updated with the "Purchased" tab. There are reports of glitches already, two of which I have encountered.  Once you download a music track to an iDevice, there is no way to delete it from the iDevice.  That would seem to be a pretty basic function, otherwise our iDevices are going to fill up with files from the cloud with no way to do anything about it. Also, Apps that were deleted for good reason are showing up in the Cloud as previously downloaded apps.  There needs to be a way to flag an app as permanently deleted.

#112 of 117 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,299 posts

Posted June 08 2011 - 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Sam Posten 

Anyone who still uses tech like 1Password in a post PSN hack world deserves whatever trouble they get down the line IMO.

It's too late to close the barn doors, once the mares have gotten out and eaten your children.

All your financial data (banks,credit cards, mortgage, car loan) is already online.

#113 of 117 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,299 posts

Posted June 08 2011 - 02:42 AM

Nice overview of iCloud from MacWorld http://www.macworld....l#lsrc.rss_main

#114 of 117 OFFLINE   Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted June 08 2011 - 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by DaveF 

What does it do besides backup music? Is it to be able to swap out music sitting at Starbucks?

When you buy a song on iTunes, iCloud has *a reference to* the One True authoritative copy. You can download it to up to ten devices, up to five of which can be computers. (It might ID-stamp the download on the fly to contain your Apple ID.)

When you Match, it puts a reference to the iTunes authoritative copy in a separate bucket. (It's the same single copy of the song that people that bought the song use.) Just like purchased music, you can download that whenever; and repeatedly, if you removed it to make room for something else. When/if your Match subscription expires, that bucket goes away. You still have all copies of that song sitting on your devices -- since they're DRM-free copies, they can't do anything about that anyway.

If the song doesn't actually match, then it will upload your copy and hold it for you, counting against the 5GB limit. (You can buy more storage.) There's also a total limit of 25,000 songs, matched or uploaded.

That's my understanding of how it works. I may be wrong; and they could change it.

#115 of 117 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,299 posts

Posted June 08 2011 - 10:53 AM

That's a pretty fair summary; the MacWorld article does a great job of explaining too. I'm still trying to figure out what Apple's model user for this service looks like. It's $25/yr to be freed from syncing iOS devices to a PC to get music on them. It's not putting the entire library on one device, but being able to download a a different selection of music when away from the home library (e.g. sitting at Panera or perhaps at a friends). Maybe spending $25 a year to change music out on the go is seen as a better value than $100 for an extra 16GB of storage to hold all the music? Or to be able to get to all one's music if you can't fit it all onto the iDevice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users