-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

DVD and the soaps...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

• 330 posts

Posted May 30 2011 - 02:05 PM

On a lark, I went to YouTube last night and searched for soap opera clips... I was amazed at the amount of episodes that are there-  Complete story arcs for many differnt shows.  I was clicking and watching for several hours.  It made me nostalgic for the serials that are disappearing from the networks.  I find it hard to believe that there is no interest in bringing these shows to the DVD market.  What in your opinion would be a good way to put together DVD volumes of soaps?

1.  Sample episodes from various decades.

2.  Stories revolving around a certain character.

3.  A complete story, start to finish.

I agree that it would be impossible to release a complete soap library, but there would seem to be some value in releasing portions of a show.  Any other ideas?

Proctor and Gamble alone are sitting on a treasure trove of episodes!

#2 of 6 bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2

Second Unit

• 418 posts

Posted June 01 2011 - 02:15 AM

I would think that most fans would like to have complete stories.  Since most stories are character driven, it would be pretty character focused.

Examples off the top of my head:  General Hospital's "Ice Princess" story.  Intro'd a lot of characters that became hugely important to GH's mythology.  Add to that, it was the first sci-fi styled story on daytime TV.

Other shows that were much shorter could be collected in complete series sets, a la "Dark Shadows".   In those cases, I am thinking of shows like Santa Barbara, Port Charles and such.

#3 of 6 Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

• 330 posts

Posted June 01 2011 - 02:44 PM

I understand what you mean-  Complete stories, especially ones with connections for the fans, like GL's Phillip, Rick, Mindy, and Beth 4 Musketeers story, or the San Cristobel storyline would certainly be enjoyable to revisit.  I believe fans are missing their soaps-  Perhaps a revisit on DVD would be a good thing-

Other thoughts?

#4 of 6 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,881 posts

Posted June 02 2011 - 06:20 AM

One big problem is that the classic soaps have incomplete archives, with most of the big production houses (ABC, P&G) only beginning to save day-to-day episodes on a contiuous basis circa 1978.  Plus, some shows were being broadcast live until the mid-1970s.

Check out this Wikipedia article on lost tv episodes in different types of shows- the US soap section is indeed shocking:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiping

Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#5 of 6 Lerrydimm

Lerrydimm

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted June 02 2011 - 05:33 PM

Does anyone know where I can either buy or rent the old daytime soap opera "Loving" which then became named "The City" on DVD or even VHS? The SoapNet channel is not showing it. I really would love to watch it all over again.
http://www.zimbio.co... Get Free Trial

#6 of 6 Lerrydimm

Lerrydimm

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted June 02 2011 - 05:40 PM

Does anyone know where I can either buy or rent the old daytime soap opera "Loving" which then became named "The City" on DVD or even VHS? The SoapNet channel is not showing it. I really would love to watch it all over again.
http://www.zimbio.co... Get Free Trial