What's new

DVD and the soaps... (1 Viewer)

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
On a lark, I went to YouTube last night and searched for soap opera clips... I was amazed at the amount of episodes that are there- Complete story arcs for many differnt shows. I was clicking and watching for several hours. It made me nostalgic for the serials that are disappearing from the networks. I find it hard to believe that there is no interest in bringing these shows to the DVD market. What in your opinion would be a good way to put together DVD volumes of soaps?

1. Sample episodes from various decades.

2. Stories revolving around a certain character.

3. A complete story, start to finish.

I agree that it would be impossible to release a complete soap library, but there would seem to be some value in releasing portions of a show. Any other ideas?

Proctor and Gamble alone are sitting on a treasure trove of episodes!

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I would think that most fans would like to have complete stories. Since most stories are character driven, it would be pretty character focused.

Examples off the top of my head: General Hospital's "Ice Princess" story. Intro'd a lot of characters that became hugely important to GH's mythology. Add to that, it was the first sci-fi styled story on daytime TV.

Other shows that were much shorter could be collected in complete series sets, a la "Dark Shadows". In those cases, I am thinking of shows like Santa Barbara, Port Charles and such.

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
I understand what you mean- Complete stories, especially ones with connections for the fans, like GL's Phillip, Rick, Mindy, and Beth 4 Musketeers story, or the San Cristobel storyline would certainly be enjoyable to revisit. I believe fans are missing their soaps- Perhaps a revisit on DVD would be a good thing-

Other thoughts?

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
One big problem is that the classic soaps have incomplete archives, with most of the big production houses (ABC, P&G) only beginning to save day-to-day episodes on a contiuous basis circa 1978. Plus, some shows were being broadcast live until the mid-1970s.

Check out this Wikipedia article on lost tv episodes in different types of shows- the US soap section is indeed shocking:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiping

Lerrydimm

Auditioning
Real Name
Lerry dimm
Does anyone know where I can either buy or rent the old daytime soap opera "Loving" which then became named "The City" on DVD or even VHS? The SoapNet channel is not showing it. I really would love to watch it all over again.
http://www.zimbio.com/member/IleneDaniel/articles/JGZZ-YWGipr/Healthy+Colon+Cleanse+Review+Get+Free+Trial

Lerrydimm

Auditioning
Real Name
Lerry dimm
Does anyone know where I can either buy or rent the old daytime soap opera "Loving" which then became named "The City" on DVD or even VHS? The SoapNet channel is not showing it. I really would love to watch it all over again.
http://www.zimbio.com/member/IleneDaniel/articles/JGZZ-YWGipr/Healthy+Colon+Cleanse+Review+Get+Free+Trial

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks