Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Logitech Harmony 1100 Universal Remote Review + Harmony One Shootout

Hardware Review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,353 posts

Posted May 30 2011 - 05:56 AM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,072 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted June 06 2011 - 03:49 PM

Thanks for the review Ron.  After having both touchscreen and "combination" remotes like the MX-980 you didn't like (NOTE: I was not "the friend" mentioned in the review ) I have decided I really like having hard buttons for not just the volume, but for the DVR controls (FF, REW, Play, Pause, Skip, etc).  It makes it so much easier to use.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   AlexO

AlexO

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted June 08 2011 - 01:48 AM

All that being said, I certainly am not giving the Logitech Harmony 1100 a bad review.  In fact, I really feel the device works as well as the other Harmony siblings

I am quite perplexed with with this statement.  The fact is that the 1100 does not "work as well as the other Harmony siblings".  Before the 900 and the 1100 were introduced, all the Harmony remotes supported sequences (a.k.a macros).  Logitech chose to limit the length of those sequences to only 5 steps, which limited their usefulness, but it was better than nothing.

With the 900 and the 1100 remotes, Logitech removed the ability to send multiple commands with a single keypress inside of an activity altogether.  There is a petition on Logitech's forum calling for reinstating the feature, with over 390 posts as of now, but so far Logitech chooses to ignore their customers.

The 1100 should get a bad review, for removing functionality that is available in remotes that cost a fraction of its price.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,933 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 08 2011 - 02:27 AM

Thanks for the review, Ron. My only experience with a touch screen remote was the universal remote that came with an old Sony ES receiver I used to own. I really disliked using a touch screen at that time, and find that hard buttons on a device that can be easily operated with one hand is the ideal solution. I currently am still using a Harmony 880 remote, which meets all my needs -- it's my second Harmony remote. If/when the 880 dies, hopefully Harmony will still offer something similar. I do not want something that requires two hands to operate, removes the hard buttons, or limits the "activity" functionality that currently makes Harmony such a great remote control. I want a remote control, not a tablet computer!

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Rocco Jibraltar

Rocco Jibraltar

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted July 08 2011 - 12:12 PM

"...limit the length of those sequences to only 5 steps" um... i just bought a harmony 900, and with the "one-touch tuning," as-it-were, there is no longer a need to program sequences! having input all my devices' model numbers, i just touch "watch TV" and it turns on my projector which picks the receiver input instead of the DVD carousel or the PS3, the HD tv tuner, the receiver, which picks the tv tuner as its input, and i sit back and relax. if i want to watch a DVD, it switches everything over to that. if my son wants to play guitar hero, that's available at the touch of a button, too. sequences? we don' need no stinking sequences! vamanos! :D just my 2¢. R J

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hardware Review

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users