What's new

Playing AVI files from computer. (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Peter Lalonde
Hi All,

I have a home theater system. I want to play .AVI movies through it.

Up until now I have connected my macbook pro to:

1) the projector through it's Dual-Link DVI port

2) the receiver through an audio cord that has an earphone sized jack on one end (into earphone jack on computer) and two (red/white) RCA plugs (to receiver) on the other.

It seems clear the audio must be (?) substandard. I have no idea how good the video signal going through the DVI port is.

Basically, I want a component (computer of otherwise) that plays these files at home theater levels of video and audio.

Do I stick with computer? Is there some other device that plays AVI files? DO I need to burn them to DVD?

I hope this makes at least some sense.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The Seagate Theater+ or GoFlex TV, the Wester Digital WD TV Live, or Popcornhour all play AVI files at whatever resolution you can get the digital files in. But it seems to me you should be able to get high resolution from the DVI connection, so something else might be off. Are you sure your AVA files are in HD?

Real Name
Peter Lalonde
I am not sure about the avi/divx being in HD. They are always about 720mg.

I am also wondering about the audio. Can I really be getting decent audio through an earphone jack?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
A headphone jack supports stereo audio only. You won't get any digital multichannel audio that way. You will need a digital coaxial, optical, or HDMI cable to transmit multichannel audio to the receiver.

Regardless of the connection, you will need to make sure that the audio track on the .avi file is encoded as discrete dolby digital 5.1 or some other multichannel audio format.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks