-

Photo
- - - - -

Playing AVI files from computer.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   PeterofCanada

PeterofCanada

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted May 29 2011 - 04:42 PM

Hi All,

I have a home theater system.  I want to play .AVI movies through it.

Up until now I have connected my macbook pro to:

1) the projector through it's Dual-Link DVI port

2) the receiver through an audio cord that has an earphone sized jack on one end (into earphone jack on computer) and two (red/white) RCA plugs (to receiver) on the other.

It seems clear the audio must be (?) substandard.  I have no idea how good the video signal going through the DVI port is.

Basically, I want a component (computer of otherwise) that plays these files at home theater levels of video and audio.

Do I stick with computer? Is there some other device that plays AVI files?  DO I need to burn them to DVD?

I hope this makes at least some sense.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,192 posts

Posted May 30 2011 - 03:58 AM

The Seagate Theater+ or GoFlex TV, the Wester Digital WD TV Live, or Popcornhour all play AVI files at whatever resolution you can get the digital files in. But it seems to me you should be able to get high resolution from the DVI connection, so something else might be off.  Are you sure your AVA files are in HD?

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   PeterofCanada

PeterofCanada

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted May 30 2011 - 07:10 AM

I am not sure about the avi/divx being in HD.  They are always about 720mg.

I am also wondering about the audio.  Can I really be getting decent audio through an earphone jack?

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,927 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted May 31 2011 - 01:46 AM

A headphone jack supports stereo audio only.  You won't get any digital multichannel audio that way.  You will need a digital coaxial, optical, or HDMI cable to transmit multichannel audio to the receiver.

Regardless of the connection, you will need to make sure that the audio track on the .avi file is encoded as discrete dolby digital 5.1 or some other multichannel audio format.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   elenalee

elenalee

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted June 28 2011 - 09:51 PM

Yes we can play .AVI movies or videos on computer ============== non voice projects