-

Photo
- - - - -

ANTENNA TV: Burns & Allen, Rin Tin Tin, Circus Boy back on the schedule

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 OFFLINE   Bob Gu

Bob Gu

Supporting Actor

• 608 posts

Posted May 29 2011 - 01:30 PM

When, over the air digital, Antenna TV started in January a number of 50's & 60's programs were dropped from their announced schedule.

Most are back now:

Tomorrow, May 30, Burns and Allen starts a Monday thru Friday schedule of airing two episodes begining at 3:00 PM EST.

Sunday June 5th, the weekly western block begins at 9:00 AM EST with, two episodes of CIRCUS BOY, followed at 10:00 AM EST by two episodes of RIN TIN TIN. Then it's IRON HORSE at 11:00 AM EST followed by HERE COME THE BRIDES at Noon EST.

It will be interesting to see if Rin Tin Tin will be in it's original B&W or the sepia-toned version.

Still missing from the earlier announced group are WILD BILL HICKOK and THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER.

#2 of 22 OFFLINE   tvgreats

tvgreats

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted May 29 2011 - 02:58 PM

Bob, if you would when you get a chance, let us know how Burns and Allen looks on Antenna TV. Unfortunately I don't get it in my area.

I read somewhere, on this forum maybe, some studio (Sony?) was trying to clean up the Burns and Allen episodes but were running into problems..  I would love to see official dvd season sets of this show --- but i'm sure thats very unlikely.  Also, I wonder how edited the episodes will be or is Antenna TV running uncut episodes on their shows?

#3 of 22 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,098 posts

Posted May 29 2011 - 05:27 PM

Antenna runs whatever they are given. So it all depends on what Sony is going to provide them. We'll know tomorrow.

#4 of 22 OFFLINE   Bob Gu

Bob Gu

Supporting Actor

• 608 posts

Posted May 30 2011 - 12:31 PM

The two episodes of BURNS & ALLEN that ran today were both just over 22:00 minutes. No, "Say, Goodnight Gracie". The episodes were the first two shows of the 3rd season from the fall of 1952.

The picture quality was very good, a little soft and on the light side, but with clear details on dark things like the lapels on black dinner jackets.

#5 of 22 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,098 posts

Posted May 30 2011 - 05:56 PM

They are the same cut-up tape transfers which have been running on the local ME-TV feed in Chicago since 2005. Why Antenna couldn't get these for their launch in January I have no idea. I hoped that they were getting new transfers but that's apparently not the case. So who knows what the 6 month delay was due to.

#6 of 22 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,027 posts

Posted May 30 2011 - 05:57 PM

I'm so glad I still have my Columbia House prints of the 52-53 season transferred to DVD!   They were all uncut and most of them even left in the integrated Carnation and B.F. Goodrich spots.

#7 of 22 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,977 posts

Posted May 30 2011 - 06:18 PM

According to ANTENNA TV on their FACEBOOK PAGE - Sony was unable to supply the complete series to them due to issues with the masters (Not rights issues, but out and out problems with the master negatives)  - so apparently something is going on. They have said episodes 3, 4 & 6 of the filmed shows were missing.

I wonder if ME-TV Chicago got a complete run or not. 

This is the same line they gave regarding THE FARMERS DAUGHTER - the masters were in too rough a shape to transfer. You know what that means, Sony and Tribune settled on a licensing fee BEFORE the elements were inspected and it would cost more than the agreed amount to restore them to broadcast quality. 

I wonder if that's the issue with WILD BILL HICKCOCK & The Anthologies. How could Sony licence shows to Tribune without CHECKING THE ELEMENTS FIRST!
*Face Palm*

#8 of 22 OFFLINE   tvgreats

tvgreats

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted May 31 2011 - 01:24 AM

Thanks for the info Bob and everyone else.  Thats too bad that they aren't the full uncut episodes.  Theres a few public domain dvd releases out that have running times of  21 minutes and some with running times of a shade over 29 minutes.  But of course the picture quality is not very good on these public domain releases.

Just a side note for Honeymooners fans, the UCLA Film and Television Archives has been restoring all of the Honeymooners Lost Episodes.  Does this increase the possibility of a season set release in the future?  Or just wishful thinking.  Of course MPI released many of these episodes a few years ago in various volumes and in July is gonna release a "Best of" 5 episode set.

#9 of 22 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,098 posts

Posted May 31 2011 - 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by DeWilson 

According to ANTENNA TV on their FACEBOOK PAGE - Sony was unable to supply the complete series to them due to issues with the masters (Not rights issues, but out and out problems with the master negatives)  - so apparently something is going on. They have said episodes 3, 4 & 6 of the filmed shows were missing.

I wonder if ME-TV Chicago got a complete run or not. 

This is the same line they gave regarding THE FARMERS DAUGHTER - the masters were in too rough a shape to transfer. You know what that means, Sony and Tribune settled on a licensing fee BEFORE the elements were inspected and it would cost more than the agreed amount to restore them to broadcast quality. 

I wonder if that's the issue with WILD BILL HICKCOCK & The Anthologies. How could Sony licence shows to Tribune without CHECKING THE ELEMENTS FIRST!
*Face Palm*

We know what that means. They couldn't find a set of 16mm prints that weren't beat to hell and they're too cheap to go back to the 35mm negatives.

#10 of 22 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted May 31 2011 - 01:38 PM

SOAP is coming to Antenna TV on June 5th! I wish the dvd sets contained all uncut episodes, including the four recaps (one mid-season and three summer.)

#11 of 22 OFFLINE   Bob Gu

Bob Gu

Supporting Actor

• 608 posts

Posted June 05 2011 - 03:50 PM

The two CIRCUS BOY episodes that ran today were both 22:44 minutes. I believe Circus Boy had all the proper original music. The picture quality was a little dark but good.

RIN TIN TIN  looked very good but it had music replacement, some new sound effects, and some restored dialog looping. Some of the original music was still present. Today's episodes timed in at 22:29 minutes and 23:23 minutes, including what appears to be new end credits mentioning a company called Cerulean Digital Color and Animation. These episodes are probably the colorized version of Rin Tin Tin, that is on sale on DVD in Europe, shown in black and white on Antenna TV.

I had some bad reception on IRON HORSE so I didn't time it, but with the choppy cuts present in this episode, I believe it was cut.Hard to say on the picture quality, the opening looked rough but the show itself looked very good in spots and not so good in others. Don't they change to a more dynamic version of the theme song at some point?

HERE COME THE BRIDES should be starting Season 2 in four weeks.

#12 of 22 OFFLINE   David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,095 posts

Posted July 23 2012 - 05:40 PM

Now that we finally have Antenna TV in my area, I have a question. Did RCA/Columbia House release the entire 52-53 season on VHS? Or was it just selected episodes?
Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

#13 of 22 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,027 posts

Posted July 23 2012 - 07:44 PM

Almost all of it. The releases were chronological and skipped only the first few episodes of the season and maybe just one or two others. They made it partway into S4 (through December 1953) before the releases stopped altogether.

#14 of 22 OFFLINE   David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,095 posts

Posted July 23 2012 - 08:13 PM

Great. I had some of those releases but assumed there were only a handfull of eps that got out. I'll have to find the rest of them. Does anyone know which "era" of the series Antenna TV is showing ? Are they skipping the first few seasons ?
Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

#15 of 22 OFFLINE   Brent S

Brent S

Stunt Coordinator

• 245 posts

Posted July 24 2012 - 02:06 AM

Does anyone know which "era" of the series Antenna TV is showing ? Are they skipping the first few seasons ?

Seasons 3 thru 8.

#16 of 22 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,027 posts

Posted July 24 2012 - 06:19 AM

The first two seasons were live shows that only exist as kinescopes and were never syndicated. These are the episodes you can find on public domain DVD releases.

#17 of 22 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Supporting Actor

• 957 posts

Posted July 24 2012 - 01:22 PM

Hoping this station gets/acquires some newer programming to freshen up their schedules a little bit.

#18 of 22 OFFLINE   skees53

skees53

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted July 24 2012 - 02:42 PM

I know that they've got Barney Miller and Benson coming in the fall, but those aren't exactly huge programming changes... in fact, from what I understand, even those series are only going to air Sunday nights.

#19 of 22 OFFLINE   Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 618 posts

Posted July 24 2012 - 07:34 PM

Personally, I really enjoy most of the shows Antenna TV and ME tv are showing and I worry which of my favorite shows they will replace eventually with new programming. Burns and Allen and Jack Benny are now showing after midnight. I watch Three's Company every night faithfully and don't get tired of it. In fact I even enjoy watching Three's a Crowd.:P

#20 of 22 OFFLINE   Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Supporting Actor

• 589 posts

Posted July 26 2012 - 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by rmw650 

Hoping this station gets/acquires some newer programming to freshen up their schedules a little bit.

If Sony still has a deal with Antenna TV, I would like to see them add Born Free and Ghost Story/Circle of Fear to the schedule. Both these Sony shows were recently released on DVD through their made on demand program. Plus they are going to release Iron Horse on MOD which is(or was) already on Antenna's TV schedule.

This gives me hope that maybe Sony will remaster the Farmer's Daughter for MOD someday.

"Congratulations. You're still in the running towards becoming America's Next Top Model."