What's new

Building a new home and had some questions about in-wall wiring (1 Viewer)

JRL80

Grip
Real Name
John
Good afternoon everyone,

I am currently in the process of building a new home and I want to make sure my new home theater system will be hooked up right. I am meeting with the electrician in 2 weeks and I just wanted to bounce everything off of you guys to make sure I leave no stone unturned. Below is everything I own already that will be included in my den setup...

TV - Samsung UN55C6500

Receiver - Pioneer Elite VSX-32

Energy Take Classic 7.0 Speaker System ( I got a sick deal on two 5.0 systems so I bought both and made a 7.0)

Sub - Klipsch Synergy Sub 10 200w

Playstation 3

Wii

LG BD630 Blu Ray

Sony CDP-CE500 Compact Disc Player

I am also going use the second zone that the receiver has for my yard...I have 2 Yamaha NS-AW350 outdoor speakers I am going to hook up to this as well.

I am new to all of this so I had a budget to work off of when purchasing all of the above items.

I want to mount all of the 7.0 speakers to the walls and run all the wiring in the walls before they sheetrock everything. I am trying to make one mega monoprice purchase so I do not want to leave anything out.

I need to still get..

- Speaker wire

- Satellite speaker wall mounts

- HDMI Cables

- Ethernet cable

- Low Profile TV mount

What do you guys reccoment in terms of the above wiring/monts? What other types of wires am I not thinking of?

Sorry this is all over the place I had to type this up quick.

Thanks you all ahead of time for your help.

I wish everyone a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

John

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Check out Monoprice first and Parts Express 2nd. They both carry an assortment of mounts and wires.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Any reason you are wanting to put all your speakers in the wall?

One thought:

* Run extra of everything, and make sure it is labeled on both ends. Ethernet, speaker wire, etc.

Do you really need your LG Bluray player and Sony Compact disc player when both will play back on your PS3?

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Originally Posted by JRL80

What other types of wires am I not thinking of?

Electrical. Have the electrician put in a dedicated circuit for your HT gear. Make sure there is and a sufficient number of outlets at the equipment location, as well as an outlet where the TV and subwoofer will be. Also, run a signal cable from the equipment location to the subwoofer location.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
  • Run a cat5 cable (or 2) out to the patio in case you decided to use a remote or keypad out there.
  • You may also want to put a volume knob out there as well, so run your speaker wire appropriately.
  • Run multiple cat5 cables from your smart panel to the equipment location and one to your TV; run another cat5 cable from your equipment location to your TV.
  • Make sure all the wire you are buying that will go in wall is CL2/CL3 rated. Not all cables are. Inspectors will look for this.
  • Whatever you think you need today, you will need more tomorrow
  • Consider running a second HDMI cable to the TV. Wire is cheap, drywall isn't

JRL80

Grip
Real Name
John
Hi Everyone,

This is amazing. You all are so helpful and it is very much appreciated.

This is so nerve-racking because I have never had a home theater setup before and am worried I am going to botch this all up. I am meeting with the electrician on Monday 6/6 to go over everything. And were not only going over my home theater setup but the entire house wiring as well. So you can imagine this is a little overwhelming for me.

Ok sorry if I was not clear on a few things I was typing my post up too fast before I left for the holiday weekend. Let me clear up some stuff..

- I am going to mount the energies on the walls not in them..and as far as the "keyhole" option on them is concerned..I will not be able to adjust the way they face if go that rout no? I plan on putting them high on the wall so shouldn't they be tilted slightly down towards the couch where people will be listening or does this not matter?

- I listed my PS3 as one of the components being put in the home theater room but I am going to put this in a spare tv/game room. So I will need the LG blu-ray player in the home theater room.

What cable are you guys recommending I run in the wall from the equipment location to where the sub will sit? One of you referred to it as an RG 6 cable and another one of you called it a signal cable. Which one of these should I get or is it the same thing? And does this cable go right into the back of the sub?

As far as the Cat5 5 cables you recommend Adam, I am lost so I will just print out your post and show it to the electrician. He has done this plenty of times before so I am sure he will understand what you are talking about.

Again, thanks in advance for all of your help.

Best regards,

John

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What cable are you guys recommending I run in the wall from the equipment location to where the sub will sit? One of you referred to it as an RG 6 cable and another one of you called it a signal cable. Which one of these should I get or is it the same thing? And does this cable go right into the back of the sub?
RG-6 or RG-59 is the same cable used by satellite and cable TV. It's cheap and more than adequate to carry low frequency information. I run it in my walls and attic between wall plates. My wall plates have standard RCA connections on the outside (in the room) and I use regular cables to connect my receiver to the wall plate and my sub to the wall plate. Yes, the sub cable plugs into the amp built into the back of your sub.

As far as the Cat5 5 cables you recommend Adam, I am lost so I will just print out your post and show it to the electrician. He has done this plenty of times before so I am sure he will understand what you are talking about.
CAT 5 cable is networking cable. Same thing you see connecting computers in the office. I network two of my DVRs and my Blu-ray player. I can stream music and pictures from my home server, watch Netflix or YouTube or listen to Pandora. A lot of newer receivers have networking capabilities now. Don't assume your electrician knows this stuff. My electrician knew electricity. When I handed him the requirements for wiring audio and video, it took him about 3 seconds to recommend I mark where I wanted outlets and he would install them and drill through the top plates. That next weekend, I came in and ran about 3,000 feet of cables.

JRL80

Grip
Real Name
John
I am going to mount the energy speakers on the walls..and as far as the "keyhole" option on them is concerned..I will not be able to adjust the way they face if go that rout no? I plan on putting them high on the wall so shouldn't they be tilted slightly down towards the couch where people will be listening or does this not matter?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
If possible, you should avoid placing the front three speakers high on the wall. Even "aiming" them down to the listening position will still result in the sound coming from "above" the TV image. The L/R speakers usually flank the TV (with at least some separation) and the center is often placed just below (or above) the TV.

Surround speakers (both to the sides, and behind the listener) are OK to be placed higher and aimed to the the listening position, as these speakers are mostly used for ambient sounds.

JRL80

Grip
Real Name
John
Thanks for the info Jason...I was going to put the three fronts exactly where you described...I guess my concern was with the side and rear speakers...thanks for alleviating that!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks