Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HDMI Switch?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   fullofpaint

fullofpaint

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted May 26 2011 - 12:48 PM

I'm working on my parent's home theater and the receiver they have only has two HDMI inputs.  I'm wiring up a PS3 and an HTPC (Macbook so dual-link DVI to HDMI cable) for my dad's birthday but they don't have any free HDMI ports.  I was looking at buying a switch but don't know too much about them, can anyone recommend one?  Ideally it'd either auto-detect and switch or I could program it with their UCR remote.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 26 2011 - 01:12 PM

I've used this 4 to 1 port switch from Monoprice with good results.  Comes with a remote control and my Logitech Harmony remote had no trouble learning its commands.

I paid $30 and change last year, a bit more than the $27.57 price they're offering now.  I also picked  up some 6 ft HDMI cables to connect all my gear for $5.45 each.  (Red, yellow, blue, red and black to make it easy to keep track of the connections.)  Those cables are down to $4.34.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Joe

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted May 26 2011 - 02:04 PM

I use the 4 in / 2 out switch from Monoprice.  The first one I bought had some quirks.  Reading another forum I saw that Monoprice had been exchanging them for newer models that had no issues but I was a year late to that thread.  On a hunch, I e-mailed customer service to see if the trade-in program was still going on.  30 minutes later the VP of customer service replied.  He had looked up my order and dropped a replacement switch in the mail.  He also included a pre-paid mailer to send the old one back.  Hands down the best service ever.  Along with the low prices and extremely high quality products, I get everything I can there.  I also use their 3 ft HDMI cables in my equipment rack and a 35 ft cable from the switch to my projector.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,053 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted May 28 2011 - 05:04 AM

I picked up an ONN (house brand @ Walmart) switch for $30 Cdn a few weeks ago so I could hook up both my Sat box and XBox 360 to my receiver. There's a bit of lag time in startup, but I attribute that to two factors: (1) I'm not using high-speed cables; and (2) there's an option to hook up a power supply to the switch. i think it's more the former than the latter.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 28 2011 - 07:59 AM

(1) I'm not using high-speed cables; and (2) there's an option to hook up a power supply to the switch. i think it's more the former than the latter.

I can promise you it isn't the former, because there is no such thing as "high speed cables".  That's a marketing term that companies like Monster use to assist in separating the gullible from their hard-earned money.  Don't fall for it.  There is nothing that expensive cables, "high-speed" or otherwise, can do that the  <$5 monorpice cables I recommend above can't do. If you're noticing a lag in your Walmart switch it is more likely that lack of a power supply or simply cheap and slow internal circuitry.  Again, for about the same money you could buy the Monoprice switch which includes the power supply.

Regards,

Joe

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,053 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted May 29 2011 - 01:51 PM

I thought high speed was a permissible marketing term, while "HDMI 1.4" and putting specific refresh rates on cables was an out-and-out lie. My understanding is that high speed cables are necessary for 3D and ethernet capability.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert