Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Coming Soon From Olive Films

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2424 replies to this topic

#21 of 2425 cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted August 15 2011 - 09:14 AM

Two titles I would love on Blu from Olive Films are The Mountain and Escape From Zahrain. Just got done watching Sands of the Kalahari - while not a great film, I was thoroughly entertained. Zahrain was such a hoot. All of these would look terrific in hi-def.

#22 of 2425 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,940 posts

Posted August 26 2011 - 01:11 PM

I was thinking about Twilight's Last Gleaming recently,

and had sought to find the last current thread we were

discussing the film in, but with this horrible search engine

on this platform, I was unable to locate it.

I am happy to hear that we are close to a DVD release --

perhaps (if we are lucky) even a BD release.  As of yet,

I don't see any official announcement but I am guessing it

won't be long.

I suppose I can talk about this film a lot more openly than

I could when it was under Warner's control.

As you all are aware, the studio wanted to get this film out

but much to the dismay of everyone, was holding on to it.

All I could do was give you a generalized reason behind the

delays.

Truth be, the film had a lot of red tape behind it.  The rights

to the film were connected to many different entities including

banks.  The studio was having a rather difficult time clearing

all the legal hurdles, and it is my guess, that at some point,

they just let their holdings to the film lapse altogether.  The fact

that Olive films had obtained the rights came as a complete

surprise to some.

It was also my understanding that there was additional footage

that the studio was trying to obtain, which ultimately held up

progress.   Whether Olive Films was successful in nabbing that

footage is yet to be seen.

I think Warner gave its all in trying to release this film.  However,

I think that at the same time, Twilight's Last Gleaming fell into the

same unfortunate circumstances of The Bowery Boys where the

DVD buying climate was rapidly changing to the point where studios

were having a tough time selling classic titles like these through retail.

Of course, eventually the studio rolled out an archive collection where

I think most likely, this film would have ended up if still under their ownership.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#23 of 2425 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,547 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 26 2011 - 02:18 PM

We haven't heard anything positive since May on TWILIGHT'S LAST GLEAMING.  Now I wonder if Olive still trying to get through the red tape.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#24 of 2425 GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts

Posted August 26 2011 - 05:35 PM

First title announced for November is Despair blu-ray.... Sigh! And to think I recently picked it up on DVD. I guess, I won't be buying Olive's DVDs anymore since eventually they might release it on blu...

#25 of 2425 Camps

Camps

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted August 28 2011 - 12:40 AM

This policy of Olive of announcing films several months before availability is getting frustrating and looks like it may cause blowback. Warner Archive, for whatever criticisms you want to lob at them and the MOD format, promises no more than a few weeks in advance and delivers. And of course Universal practically does neither.

#26 of 2425 Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,103 posts

Posted August 28 2011 - 01:02 AM

Olive's Blus haven't been stellar. DVD might suffice.

#27 of 2425 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,547 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 28 2011 - 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Cashill 

Olive's Blus haven't been stellar. DVD might suffice.

I thought the Blu transfer of Sands of the Kalahari  was quite good.  But this is the only Blu from them that I have gotten.  I did not see any reason to upgrade Crack In The World.  I might for The Mountain if it goes Blu for that looks great on DVD.  I have been selective on Olive's titles to only the ones I really want for as always stated they are a little high without extras, even a trailer.  But I am happy to have the titles I have purchased.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#28 of 2425 Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,103 posts

Posted August 28 2011 - 05:10 AM

Oh, I'm not complaining about Olive (other than the as-yet-unexplalned BREAKING GLASS botch). It's done good work with a number of titles that had slipped through the crack of the home video world, so to speak. But I've felt no great urgency to have any of them in Blu. That said it should make it clear from the outset which we'll go Blu, unless it's looking at the DVD sales figures to see if something might move a few units in BD.

#29 of 2425 Camps

Camps

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted August 28 2011 - 08:21 AM

I'm happy with their quality too -- very pleased with my purchases of MAN WHO COULD CHEAT DEATH, THE SKULL, CRACK IN THE WORLD and now COLOSSUS OF NEW YORK. Quality's excellent across the board. And I realize I shouldn't expect DVDs off the press within a few weeks of a licensing announcement. But Olive does need to be mindful of managing expectations (as do other distributors).

#30 of 2425 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted August 28 2011 - 08:32 AM

I'm happy with their quality too -- very pleased with my purchases of MAN WHO COULD CHEAT DEATH, THE SKULL

For clarification, those two are from a separate distributor company called Legend Films. And I lucked out in putting off buying Despair on DVD, with a blu just recently announced. Though, aside from Atomic City, I'm not sure what else Paramount-related is coming out of Olive in the future.

#31 of 2425 GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts

Posted August 28 2011 - 03:41 PM

Paramount titles that are still have Olive listed as distributor that are not on DVD are Fear Is the Key (1972), Promise Her Anything (1965) and The Savage Innocents (1960)...

#32 of 2425 Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,103 posts

Posted August 28 2011 - 04:35 PM

Based on what's streaming on Netflix I'd say THE SAVAGE INNOCENTS is going to need some work to look acceptable.

#33 of 2425 Camps

Camps

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted August 29 2011 - 03:08 AM

For clarification, those two are from a separate distributor company called Legend Films. And I lucked out in putting off buying Despair on DVD, with a blu just recently announced. Though, aside from Atomic City, I'm not sure what else Paramount-related is coming out of Olive in the future.

You are correct, Joe! Got my Paramount classic-DVD distribs blurred together. My bad. :o BTW, whatever happened to Legend Films? Why is it such a case of fits & starts that (post-'48) classic Paramount titles get issued on DVD these days? (I won't get started on the Uni-owned pre-'48 titles.... :confused:)

#34 of 2425 borisfw

borisfw

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts

Posted September 06 2011 - 05:34 AM

Atomic City came out in August . Any new Paramount titles coming from Olive in September or beyond ? They have been putting out 1 or 2 Paramount titles a month for some time now . Is that over ? :confused:

#35 of 2425 Reggie W

Reggie W

Supporting Actor

• 617 posts

Posted September 08 2011 - 06:20 AM

There is a release date floating around on the internet for TWILIGHT'S LAST GLEAMING of Sept. 19, 2011. Anybody know if that is correct?

#36 of 2425 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,547 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 08 2011 - 07:28 AM

Since it is not listed on their web site, I would think not.  I heard that it is again in rights's hell, for there appears to be many owners of the film and they all need to get together.

#37 of 2425 Reggie W

Reggie W

Supporting Actor

• 617 posts

Posted September 10 2011 - 07:22 AM

Yes, it did seem since they had not yet listed Twilights Last Gleaming on their website that Sept. 19 was unlikely. I was holding out hope they might suprise us though.

#38 of 2425 MisterLime

MisterLime

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted September 13 2011 - 07:46 AM

From the Horse's Mouth Twilight's Last Gleaming and Fedora will be 2012 releases. A new list of titles will be announced soon. JEAN-LUC GODARD’S HISTOIRE(S) DU CINEMA was just announced. 8 Parts on 2 Discs ($49.95) [ATTACHMENT=165]887090030205.jpg (256k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

#39 of 2425 MisterLime

MisterLime

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted September 13 2011 - 07:48 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

#40 of 2425 MisterLime

MisterLime

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted September 13 2011 - 07:50 AM

It looks like FEAR IS THE KEY, THE SAVAGE INNOCENTS and PROMISE HER ANYTHING are all removed from their schedule.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users