Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Coming Soon From Olive Films

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2424 replies to this topic

#2361 of 2425 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,790 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted February 13 2014 - 08:39 PM

Import CDs is still listing only the April releases which we already knew about.

That's good for the Olive Website does not list one coming soon title.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#2362 of 2425 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,705 posts

Posted February 22 2014 - 11:38 PM

Amazon has just listed two more:

Johnny Come Lately (1943)

Love Happy (1950)

• ahollis likes this

#2363 of 2425 ONLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,653 posts

Posted February 22 2014 - 11:43 PM

While I am happy that Love Happy is being released, it really is sad that it is the first Marx Brothers film to make it to Blu.

#2364 of 2425 OFFLINE   Justin Ray

Justin Ray

Stunt Coordinator

• 208 posts

Posted February 23 2014 - 04:16 AM

Amazon has just listed two more:

Johnny Come Lately (1943)

Love Happy (1950)

lovehappy(blu_ray).jpg

johnnycomelately(blu_ray).jpg

• JoHud likes this

#2365 of 2425 OFFLINE   borisfw

borisfw

Supporting Actor

• 845 posts

Posted February 23 2014 - 10:25 AM

Great news . Always nice to see a new Cagney release .

• Eric Vedowski likes this

#2366 of 2425 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,790 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted February 23 2014 - 01:30 PM

Anxiously awaiting OPERATION PETTICOAT.

#2367 of 2425 OFFLINE   Timothy E

Timothy E

Supporting Actor

• 888 posts

Posted February 23 2014 - 01:34 PM

Ditto.  Great film deserving of anamorphic HD release.  It is supposedly being released before July of 2014.  Keep your fingers crossed.

• ahollis and JoHud like this

#2368 of 2425 OFFLINE   Timothy E

Timothy E

Supporting Actor

• 888 posts

Posted February 23 2014 - 01:46 PM

While I am happy that Love Happy is being released, it really is sad that it is the first Marx Brothers film to make it to Blu.

Warner Bros. and Universal really need to release their Marx Brothers films on Blu-ray.

• Josh Steinberg likes this

#2369 of 2425 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 23 2014 - 02:15 PM

Warner Bros. and Universal really need to release their Marx Brothers films on Blu-ray.

The problem is really that the 1930s films are in pretty poor condition. IIRC it took quite a bit of effort to make them more presentable even for DVD, and even then the earliest films in the Universal set have glaring problems.

• Josh Steinberg likes this

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#2370 of 2425 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted February 23 2014 - 04:42 PM

The problem is really that the 1930s films are in pretty poor condition. IIRC it took quite a bit of effort to make them more presentable even for DVD, and even then the earliest films in the Universal set have glaring problems.

Yes, some look quite badly damaged. However, as I always say, element issues should not prevent a title from reaching Blu-ray in some form or another under any circumstances.

#2371 of 2425 OFFLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,036 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted February 23 2014 - 06:28 PM

That, along with The Sands of Iwo Jima, is at the top of my Olive watch!

#2372 of 2425 OFFLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,036 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted February 23 2014 - 06:32 PM

That, along with The Sands of Iwo Jima, is at the top of my Olive watch!

Almost forgot.....Flying Tigers and The North Star too!

#2373 of 2425 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,204 posts

Posted February 25 2014 - 07:46 PM

If they can do it for DRACULA (1931) and FRANKENSTEIN, they can do it for the Marx Brothers.

#2374 of 2425 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,790 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted February 25 2014 - 07:55 PM

If they can do it for DRACULA (1931) and FRANKENSTEIN, they can do it for the Marx Brothers.

The problem is the Marx Brothers titles were originally Paramount titles and were not well taken care off.

#2375 of 2425 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,705 posts

Posted February 25 2014 - 09:10 PM

A little curious if any Marx Bros restoration/remastering effort has been done under Universal since that DVD release ages ago.  Those films could have used that cash they were spreading around during their 100th anniversary celebration.

As for WB there's that reported uncut print of At the Opera that was found in Hungary or whereabouts so there's something outside of the usual procedure that might be holding that bunch up.

#2376 of 2425 OFFLINE   cadavra

cadavra

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 03:46 PM

POPULAR

A little curious if any Marx Bros restoration/remastering effort has been done under Universal since that DVD release ages ago.  Those films could have used that cash they were spreading around during their 100th anniversary celebration.

As for WB there's that reported uncut print of At the Opera that was found in Hungary or whereabouts so there's something outside of the usual procedure that might be holding that bunch up.

I spoke to the folks at Universal's Asset Management about this long ago. They assured me that they've scoured the globe looking for better material, not just on the Marx films but many others, especially those that were hacked up for post-Code reissue, such as LOVE ME TONIGHT. Believe me, if they had superior elements, don't you think they'd have put those versions out by now?

Mike S.

• Mark Edward Heuck, ahollis and JoHud like this

#2377 of 2425 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 26 2014 - 11:58 PM

Though to be fair they could probably do much better digital restoration work than what has currently been done. I would think that they could clean up the soundtracks on the films quite a bit like they did on Dracula (1931).

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#2378 of 2425 OFFLINE   cadavra

cadavra

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted February 27 2014 - 07:28 PM

Though to be fair they could probably do much better digital restoration work than what has currently been done. I would think that they could clean up the soundtracks on the films quite a bit like they did on Dracula (1931).

Well, perhaps, but again, you can't compare their own library to Paramount's, which was not as well-maintained. Many of the latter titles were preserved from surviving prints, and there's only so much you can do with less-than-pristine elements.

Mike S.

• Mark Edward Heuck and ahollis like this

#2379 of 2425 OFFLINE   GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor

• 547 posts

Posted March 01 2014 - 09:39 AM

Home of the Brave - May 13

Flying Tigers - May 13

#2380 of 2425 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,705 posts

Posted March 01 2014 - 09:53 AM

Only one more John Wayne to go, and coincidentally one of the most anticipated.

Home of the Brave was a long time coming.  Glad to see it's finally been released

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users