Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Coming Soon From Olive Films

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2399 replies to this topic

#2341 of 2400 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,085 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted February 23 2014 - 01:30 PM

Anxiously awaiting OPERATION PETTICOAT.

#2342 of 2400 OFFLINE   Timothy E

Timothy E

Supporting Actor

• 929 posts

Posted February 23 2014 - 01:34 PM

Ditto.  Great film deserving of anamorphic HD release.  It is supposedly being released before July of 2014.  Keep your fingers crossed.

#2343 of 2400 OFFLINE   Timothy E

Timothy E

Supporting Actor

• 929 posts

Posted February 23 2014 - 01:46 PM

While I am happy that Love Happy is being released, it really is sad that it is the first Marx Brothers film to make it to Blu.

Warner Bros. and Universal really need to release their Marx Brothers films on Blu-ray.

#2344 of 2400 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,701 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 23 2014 - 02:15 PM

Warner Bros. and Universal really need to release their Marx Brothers films on Blu-ray.

The problem is really that the 1930s films are in pretty poor condition. IIRC it took quite a bit of effort to make them more presentable even for DVD, and even then the earliest films in the Universal set have glaring problems.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#2345 of 2400 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted February 23 2014 - 04:42 PM

The problem is really that the 1930s films are in pretty poor condition. IIRC it took quite a bit of effort to make them more presentable even for DVD, and even then the earliest films in the Universal set have glaring problems.

Yes, some look quite badly damaged. However, as I always say, element issues should not prevent a title from reaching Blu-ray in some form or another under any circumstances.

#2346 of 2400 OFFLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,701 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted February 23 2014 - 06:28 PM

That, along with The Sands of Iwo Jima, is at the top of my Olive watch!

#2347 of 2400 OFFLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,701 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted February 23 2014 - 06:32 PM

That, along with The Sands of Iwo Jima, is at the top of my Olive watch!

Almost forgot.....Flying Tigers and The North Star too!

#2348 of 2400 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,590 posts

Posted February 25 2014 - 07:46 PM

If they can do it for DRACULA (1931) and FRANKENSTEIN, they can do it for the Marx Brothers.

#2349 of 2400 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,085 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted February 25 2014 - 07:55 PM

If they can do it for DRACULA (1931) and FRANKENSTEIN, they can do it for the Marx Brothers.

The problem is the Marx Brothers titles were originally Paramount titles and were not well taken care off.

#2350 of 2400 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Producer

• 3,035 posts

Posted February 25 2014 - 09:10 PM

A little curious if any Marx Bros restoration/remastering effort has been done under Universal since that DVD release ages ago.  Those films could have used that cash they were spreading around during their 100th anniversary celebration.

As for WB there's that reported uncut print of At the Opera that was found in Hungary or whereabouts so there's something outside of the usual procedure that might be holding that bunch up.

#2351 of 2400 OFFLINE   cadavra

cadavra

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 03:46 PM

POPULAR

A little curious if any Marx Bros restoration/remastering effort has been done under Universal since that DVD release ages ago.  Those films could have used that cash they were spreading around during their 100th anniversary celebration.

As for WB there's that reported uncut print of At the Opera that was found in Hungary or whereabouts so there's something outside of the usual procedure that might be holding that bunch up.

[color=#0000cd;]I spoke to the folks at Universal's Asset Management about this long ago. They assured me that they've scoured the globe looking for better material, not just on the Marx films but many others, especially those that were hacked up for post-Code reissue, such as LOVE ME TONIGHT. Believe me, if they had superior elements, don't you think they'd have put those versions out by now?[/color]

[color=#0000cd;]Mike S.[/color]

#2352 of 2400 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,701 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 26 2014 - 11:58 PM

Though to be fair they could probably do much better digital restoration work than what has currently been done. I would think that they could clean up the soundtracks on the films quite a bit like they did on Dracula (1931).

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#2353 of 2400 OFFLINE   cadavra

cadavra

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted February 27 2014 - 07:28 PM

Though to be fair they could probably do much better digital restoration work than what has currently been done. I would think that they could clean up the soundtracks on the films quite a bit like they did on Dracula (1931).

[color=#0000cd;]Well, perhaps, but again, you can't compare their own library to Paramount's, which was not as well-maintained. Many of the latter titles were preserved from surviving prints, and there's only so much you can do with less-than-pristine elements.[/color]

#2354 of 2400 OFFLINE   GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor

• 573 posts

Posted March 01 2014 - 09:39 AM

Home of the Brave - May 13

Flying Tigers - May 13

#2355 of 2400 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Producer

• 3,035 posts

Posted March 01 2014 - 09:53 AM

Only one more John Wayne to go, and coincidentally one of the most anticipated.

Home of the Brave was a long time coming.  Glad to see it's finally been released

#2356 of 2400 OFFLINE   Ken_Martinez

Ken_Martinez

Stunt Coordinator

• 166 posts

Posted March 01 2014 - 10:05 AM

[color=#0000cd;]I spoke to the folks at Universal's Asset Management about this long ago. They assured me that they've scoured the globe looking for better material, not just on the Marx films but many others, especially those that were hacked up for post-Code reissue, such as LOVE ME TONIGHT. Believe me, if they had superior elements, don't you think they'd have put those versions out by now?[/color]

Well, given that the party line is that catalog films don't sell anymore, no.

#2357 of 2400 OFFLINE   Camps

Camps

Stunt Coordinator

• 207 posts

Posted March 02 2014 - 05:10 AM

Talk about the Perfect being the enemy of the Good. 

This is typical of Universal Home Entertainment's stance of recent years.  They don't have ideal material on much of the pre-1948 Paramounts (and on much of the '30s and '40s Universal output).  And so, rather than allow fans to see these films in at least decent form on DVD, TV or streaming, they simply leave them to rot... 

#2358 of 2400 OFFLINE   Martin_Teller

Martin_Teller

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted March 03 2014 - 09:54 AM

Am I the only one who saw "Home of the Brave" and hoped it was the Laurie Anderson film?

Probably...

#2359 of 2400 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Producer

• 3,035 posts

Posted March 03 2014 - 10:00 AM

Am I the only one who saw "Home of the Brave" and hoped it was the Laurie Anderson film?

Probably...

The version Olive was planning to release was already leaked months ago, so...yes?

Though I agree that the Laurie Anderson film also is long overdue.

#2360 of 2400 OFFLINE   cadavra

cadavra

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted March 03 2014 - 11:02 AM

POPULAR

Talk about the Perfect being the enemy of the Good. 

This is typical of Universal Home Entertainment's stance of recent years.  They don't have ideal material on much of the pre-1948 Paramounts (and on much of the '30s and '40s Universal output).  And so, rather than allow fans to see these films in at least decent form on DVD, TV or streaming, they simply leave them to rot... 

[color=#0000cd;]As I've said before, they are NOT leaving them to rot. They are preserving everything. Asset Management and Home Entertainment are two completely different divisions, and just because the latter is slacking off (a charge other studios are guilty of as well) does not mean that they are neglecting the safety of their library.[/color]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users