Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Coming Soon From Olive Films

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2399 replies to this topic

#2101 of 2400 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,880 posts

Posted August 26 2013 - 08:57 AM

It's not a DVD/Blu separation, it's so that MrLime feels he can share here without dissension. It's all there in the older posts.

Yes, this is old news.  As it's been for the past few months, this thread is suppose to be focused on the announcement and discussion of upcoming titles while the thread in the blu-ray subsection is for general discussion about Olive and where most of the discussion about their recent and past video releases regularly go.

It's similar to the two separate Warner Archive mega-threads in the DVD subsection in that regard.

#2102 of 2400 OFFLINE   cadavra

cadavra

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted August 26 2013 - 09:04 AM

That sounds suspiciously like "Amazing that anyone would deny the existence of God at this point and actually seem proud to admit it"! Non-believers are as fervent in their beliefs as Christians, Mr. Dickstein, though understandably not as popular.

[color=#0000cd;]Or maybe it has something to do with the industry's long-standing committment to planned obsolescence: Beta > VHS > Laserdisc > DVD > Blu-ray. They're already planning a "violet" upgrade from Blu, which means the whole process will start all over again.[/color]

[color=#0000cd;]Additionally, 95% of what I buy (translation: pre-STAR WARS) is not and likely never will be on Blu-Ray, so why bother?[/color]

[color=#0000cd;]It's not a "religious" decision, merely a common sense one.[/color]

[color=#0000cd;]Mike S.[/color]

#2103 of 2400 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,854 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 26 2013 - 09:05 AM

That Young at Heart cover is gorgeous...

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#2104 of 2400 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,854 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 26 2013 - 09:15 AM

...And, I just checked...the Amazon pre-order for the Blu of Young at Heart is $20.97. 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#2105 of 2400 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,834 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 26 2013 - 09:23 AM

Yes, this is old news. As it's been for the past few months, this thread is suppose to be focused on the announcement and discussion of upcoming titles while the thread in the blu-ray subsection is for general discussion about Olive and where most of the discussion about their recent and past video releases regularly go.It's similar to the two separate Warner Archive mega-threads in the DVD subsection in that regard.

My original suggestion was simply to consider moving this thread to the Blu section where more people would see it OR merge it, not necessarily just to merge the two. I stand by at least the moving idea since judging by the numbers I don't think the DVD forum gets a lot of traffic anymore. Management even allows Robert Harris' SD reviews to stand in the Blu forum without debate though I have no idea why.

#2106 of 2400 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,231 posts
  • LocationWest Hollywood, CA

Posted August 26 2013 - 09:57 AM

I think the DVDphiles here don't want their threads or their discs upgraded to Blu...
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#2107 of 2400 OFFLINE   David Steigman

David Steigman

Supporting Actor

• 606 posts

Posted August 26 2013 - 10:11 AM

...And, I just checked...the Amazon pre-order for the Blu of Young at Heart is $20.97. 

Import CDs will have it at for 14.19 if you can wait a little bit longer :)

#2108 of 2400 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,854 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 26 2013 - 10:36 AM

I should.

But I don't know if I can...

:biggrin:

I figured the $20.97 was a decent pricepoint given that most of Olive's Blus come in for $24.99 at Amazon. 

#2109 of 2400 OFFLINE   Virgoan

Virgoan

Second Unit

• 365 posts
  • LocationOakland CA

Posted August 26 2013 - 10:39 AM

"Fedora" has a superlative score by the great Miklos Rozsa.  Sadly, it was not well mixed into the final cut of the film yet it remains a vibrant audio recording that reflects the kind of movie "Fedora" ought to have been rather than what it was.

#2110 of 2400 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,213 posts

Posted August 26 2013 - 12:22 PM

"Fedora" has a superlative score by the great Miklos Rozsa.  Sadly, it was not well mixed into the final cut of the film yet it remains a vibrant audio recording that reflects the kind of movie "Fedora" ought to have been rather than what it was.

. . . . which reminds me that we're still waiting for the BRD of Fedora.

#2111 of 2400 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,481 posts

Posted August 26 2013 - 12:59 PM

[color=#0000cd;]Or maybe it has something to do with the industry's long-standing committment to planned obsolescence: Beta > VHS > Laserdisc > DVD > Blu-ray. They're already planning a "violet" upgrade from Blu, which means the whole process will start all over again.[/color]

[color=#0000cd;]Additionally, 95% of what I buy (translation: pre-STAR WARS) is not and likely never will be on Blu-Ray, so why bother?[/color]

[color=#0000cd;]It's not a "religious" decision, merely a common sense one.[/color]

Not to beat dead horses again but physical media is in its twilight (not a coincidence that Twilight Time chose that name). Downloading and streaming are the future and it's already here! Blu has never taken off the way DVD did and catalog titles (with the welcome exception of niche labels like Olive) are relegated for the most part to MOD whether for the good (Warners) or the bad (Fox).

The younger generation aren't interested in physical media and amusingly (or perhaps not), looking at my massive DVD library (4,000 plus titles), my nephews sighed, "What are we going to do with all this junk after you die!"

Edited by Thomas T, August 26 2013 - 01:00 PM.

#2112 of 2400 OFFLINE   David Steigman

David Steigman

Supporting Actor

• 606 posts

Posted August 27 2013 - 06:35 AM

Import Cds has The Big Combo and Plunder Road blu rays for 14.19 and ready for pre-order :) 

#2113 of 2400 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,309 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted August 27 2013 - 09:57 AM

Import Cds has The Big Combo and Plunder Road blu rays for 14.19 and ready for pre-order :)

I ordered those two plus Shack Out on 101. I figured out that Import CDs doesn't take pre-orders until a month prior to the street date. With shipping the order came to $48.54, about $16 per title. They would have cost me $75 at Amazon. Import CDs has slow shipping but they have yet to screw up an order for me, so I'm willing to be patient if it means saving 35%.

Rich Gallagher

#2114 of 2400 OFFLINE   cadavra

cadavra

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted August 27 2013 - 10:03 AM

POPULAR

Not to beat dead horses again but physical media is in its twilight (not a coincidence that Twilight Time chose that name). Downloading and streaming are the future and it's already here! Blu has never taken off the way DVD did and catalog titles (with the welcome exception of niche labels like Olive) are relegated for the most part to MOD whether for the good (Warners) or the bad (Fox).

The younger generation aren't interested in physical media and amusingly (or perhaps not), looking at my massive DVD library (4,000 plus titles), my nephews sighed, "What are we going to do with all this junk after you die!"

[color=#0000cd;]Which was kind of my point. I'm NOT the younger generation--we geezers love physical media, that whole holding it in your hands feeling--and the stuff we buy largely won't be on Blu for that very reason. Downloading is a chore, plus if there are extras you don't get 'em.[/color]

[color=#0000cd;]As for when I'm dead...it won't be my problem.  ;) [/color]

#2115 of 2400 OFFLINE   David Steigman

David Steigman

Supporting Actor

• 606 posts

Posted August 27 2013 - 10:39 AM

DVD and Blu Ray are not going anywhere for a long time...downloading is for some audiences but not all

What's that go to do with Olive films ?

Nothing yet

More announcements ! :)

#2116 of 2400 OFFLINE   t1g3r5fan

t1g3r5fan

Stunt Coordinator

• 181 posts

Posted August 27 2013 - 11:49 AM

[color=#0000cd;]Which was kind of my point. I'm NOT the younger generation--we geezers love physical media, that whole holding it in your hands feeling--and the stuff we buy largely won't be on Blu for that very reason. Downloading is a chore, plus if there are extras you don't get 'em.[/color]

[color=#0000cd;]As for when I'm dead...it won't be my problem.  ;) [/color]

Being part of the younger generation, I prefer the physical media to downloading and streaming. It's because I want to have something in my hands I know will work without the hassle of waiting and problems related to the latter. And, as Mike S. mentioned, you can have access to extra features you don't get from downloading.

DVD and Blu Ray are not going anywhere for a long time...downloading is for some audiences but not all

What's that go to do with Olive films ?

Nothing yet

More announcements ! :)

I think that both DVD and Blu-ray are still going to be around for longer that people think, but let's get back to the discussion of Olive Films and their releases as well as announcements. I can't wait to see what's on deck!

#2117 of 2400 OFFLINE   MisterLime

MisterLime

Supporting Actor

• 971 posts

Posted August 27 2013 - 12:01 PM

:( The Five previously announced titles ([color=#008000;]Bamboo Saucer[/color]/[color=#4b0082;]Bang! Bang! You're Dead![/color]/Cry Danger/[color=#0000ff;]Witchboard 2[/color]/[color=#b22222;]Young at Heart[/color]) will be it for October.

Attached Thumbnails

• CryDanger.jpg

Edited by MisterLime, August 27 2013 - 12:02 PM.

#2118 of 2400 OFFLINE   GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor

• 566 posts

Posted August 27 2013 - 12:04 PM

So, Any extras for Cry Danger?

#2119 of 2400 OFFLINE   MisterLime

MisterLime

Supporting Actor

• 971 posts

Posted August 27 2013 - 12:38 PM

So, Any extras for Cry Danger?

No, the only one with EXTRAS is WITCHBOARD 2.

Here's link to some CRY DANGER interviews on the Film Noir Foundation website:

http://www.filmnoirf...eo3.html#rhonda

http://www.filmnoirf...html#erdman2012

#2120 of 2400 OFFLINE   Justin Ray

Justin Ray

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted August 27 2013 - 12:51 PM

Any updates on the cover art for The Bamboo Saucer?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users