Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

USHE Press Release: The Big Lebowski Limited Edition (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
63 replies to this topic

#1 of 64 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,579 posts

Posted May 23 2011 - 11:28 PM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

EXPERIENCE THE COEN BROTHERS’ CULTURAL PHENOMENON STARRING JEFF BRIDGES
NOW ON BLU-RAY™ FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER! 

THE BIG LEBOWSKI LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY™

August 16, 2011 

“The Most Worshipped Comedy of Its Generation” – Rolling Stone
Own the Limited Edition Blu-ray™ Featuring All-New Bonus Features, a Digital Copy of the Film and Collectible Hardcover Book Packaging

Universal City, May 24, 2011  Bowling, nihilists, a stolen rug and the occasional acid flashback have never been funnier when one of the most popular cult classics in history, The Big Lebowski Limited Edition, debuts on Blu-ray™ August 16, 2011 from Universal Studios Home Entertainment.  From the Oscar®-winning Coen Brothers (True GritFargo) and starring Academy Award® winner Jeff Bridges (True GritCrazy Heart), this acclaimed comedy has been newly remastered in high definition to provide longtime fans and first-time viewers alike with the ultimate Lebowski experience.
Available for a limited time with an all-new 28-page companion book featuring an exclusive interview with Jeff Dowd – the real-life inspiration for The Dude – Jeff Bridges’ personal, on-set photography, a film timeline, trivia and much more, The Big Lebowski Limited Edition Blu-ray™  is a must-own addition to any collection.  In addition to all-new features exclusive to the Blu-ray™ release, The Big Lebowski Limited Edition Blu-ray™ also offers a digital copy of the film that can be viewed anywhere at any time on the consumers’ choice of devices including laptops, tablets, smartphones as well as Internet-connected TVs and set-top boxes.

“Since its creation by Ethan and Joel Coen in 1998, The Big Lebowski has transformed from a fan favorite into one of Hollywood’s most celebrated cultural phenomenons,” said Craig Kornblau, President of Universal Studios Home Entertainment. “This spectacular new Limited Edition Blu-ray™ combines the most extensive behind-the-scenes materials to date with the latest Blu-ray™ technology, giving devoted fans and newcomers alike a chance to experience the brilliant all-star cast, outrageous storyline and unforgettable quotes like never before.”

Its now iconic characters and instantly recognizable dialogue have made The Big Lebowski “the number-one cult film of all time,” according to The Boston GlobeSince its release, the Coen Brothers’ affectionately addled riff on film noir has snowballed in popularity, becoming “an undeniable pop-cult force” and even, for many, “a way of life,” in the words of the Los Angeles Times. “A masterpiece of anti-storytelling” according to Entertainment Weekly, The Big Lebowski has become a cultural touchstone for fans around the world.

Starring Bridges as the film’s delightfully unlikely hero, “The Dude,” the hilariously twisted comedy thriller also features unforgettable performances by an all-star cast including Golden Globe® winner John Goodman (“Roseanne”), four-time Oscar® nominee Julianne Moore (The Kids are Alright), Golden Globe® winner Steve Buscemi (“Boardwalk Empire”), Oscar® winner Phillip Seymour Hoffman (Doubt) and Golden Globe® nominee John Turturro (O Brother, Where Art Thou?).
BLU-RAYTM EXCLUSIVE BONUS FEATURES:
·      U-CONTROL: Universal’s exclusive feature that lets the viewer access bonus materials without leaving the movie!
o  Scene Companion:  Watch cast and crew interviews, behind the scenes footage and more during key scenes with this picture-in-picture companion.
o  Mark it Dude: This onscreen counter really ties the film together. Keep track of all the “F-Bombs,” “Dudes,” and “Dude-isms” in the film with this ultimate fan guide.
o  The Music of The Big Lebowski:  Instantly identify the songs heard while watching the film, create a custom playlist of your favorites and even purchase them from iTunes®!    
·     WORTHY ADVERSARIES: WHAT’S MY LINE TRIVIA:  Test your Lebowski knowledge by finishing lines of dialogue during the film. Play as Walter or The Dude or in two-player mode against friends.
·      BD-LIVETM:  Access the BD-Live™ Center through your Internet-connected player to watch the latest trailers and more.
·      pocket BLU™:  The groundbreaking pocket BLU™ app uses iPhone®, iPod® touch, Android™, PC and Macintosh to work seamlessly with a network-connected Blu-ray™ player. Also available on the iPad™, owners can enjoy a new, enhanced edition of pocket BLU™ made especially to take advantage of the tablet's larger screen and high resolution display. Consumers will be able to browse through a library of Blu-ray™ content and watch entertaining extras on-the-go in a way that's bigger and better than ever before.  pocket BLU™ offers advanced features such as:
o  Advanced Remote Control:  A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-ray™ player. Users can navigate through menus, playback and BD-Live™ functions with ease. o  Video Timeline:  Users can easily bring up the video timeline, allowing them to instantly access any point in the film. o  Mobile-To-Go:  Users can unlock a selection of bonus content with their Blu-ray™ discs to save to their device or to stream from anywhere there is a Wi-Fi network, enabling them to enjoy content on the go, anytime, anywhere.
o  Browse Titles:  Users will have access to a complete list of pocket BLU™-enabled titles available and coming to Blu-ray™ Hi-Def.  They can view free previews and see what additional content is available to unlock on their device.
o  Keyboard:  Entering data is fast and easy with your device’s intuitive keyboard.
·     uHEAR™:  Never miss another line of dialogue with this innovative feature that instantly skips back a few seconds on your Blu-ray™ disc and turns on the subtitles to highlight what you missed.
ADDITIONAL BONUS FEATURES
·     JEFF BRIDGES PHOTO BOOK: For more than 30 years, Jeff Bridges has been snapping pictures on movie sets.  The accomplished photographer presents exclusive shots taken on the set of The Big Lebowski providing personal commentary on each photo.
·     THE DUDE’S LIFE:  Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Julianne Moore, Steve Buscemi and John Turturro take a look back at their performances and their delivery of the Coen Brothers’ dialogue that became classic movie lines. ·     THE DUDE ABIDES: THE BIG LEBOWSKI TEN YEARS LATER:  A freewheeling conversation with the cast about the film’s decade-long reign as a cult classic, including a discussion about what ever happened to the “little Lebowski” that the Dude and Maude made that fateful night! ·     THE LEBOWSKI FEST: AN ACHIEVER’S STORY:  An in-depth look at the popular Lebowski Festival, formed by the legion of fans in honor of the film. ·     FLYING CARPETS & BOWLING PIN DREAMS: THE DREAM SEQUENCES OF THE DUDE:  From aerial flights over Los Angeles with his bowling ball chasing Maude on a flying carpet, to the large scale “Busby Berkley” dance sequences as The Dude goes flying through the legs of all the bowling pin headed dancers, this piece examines how these “ahead of their time” scenes were constructed.
·     THE MAKING OF THE BIG LEBOWSKI:  A behind the scenes look featuring interviews with the Coen Brothers.
·     PHOTO GALLERY:  Slideshow of Jeff Bridges’ on-set photography. ·     INTERACTIVE MAP:  Take a tour of the locations of The Big Lebowski, then and now. ·     AN INTRODUCTION:  Featuring Mortimer Young, a practitioner of “non-uptight” film preservation.  His restoration of the famous “toe scene” will blow your mind.

SYNOPSIS:
From the Academy Award®-winning Coen brothers, The Big Lebowski is a hilariously quirky comedy about bowling, a severed toe, White Russians and a guy named…The Dude.  Jeff “The Dude” Lebowski doesn’t want any drama in his life…heck, he can’t even be bothered with a job.  But, he must embark on a quest with his bowling buddies after his rug is destroyed in a twisted case of mistaken identity.  Starring Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Julianne Moore, Steve Buscemi, Philip Seymour Hoffman and John Turturro, experience the cultural phenomenon of The Dude in the “#1 cult film of all time!” (The Boston Globe)

CAST AND FILMMAKERS: Cast: Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Julianne Moore, Steve Buscemi, David Huddleston, Philip Seymour Hoffman, John Turturro 
Directed By:  Joel Coen
Written By:  Ethan Coen, Joel Coen
Executive Producers:  Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner
Producer:  Ethan Coen
Co-Producer:  John Cameron
Director of Photography:  Roger Deakins
Production Designer:  Rick Heinrichs
Edited By:  Ethan Coen, Joel Coen, Tricia Cooke
Casting By: John S. Lyons
Costume Designer: Mary Zophres
Original Music By: Carter Burwell

TECHNICAL INFORMATION: 
Street Date:  August 16, 2011
Copyright: 2011 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved.
Selection Number: 61115274
Running Time: 1 hour, 59 minutes
Layers: BD-50
TECHNICAL INFORMATION CONTINUED: 
Picture Format: Widescreen
Aspect Ratio: 1:85:1
Rating: R for pervasive strong language, drug content, sexuality and brief violence
Languages/Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French Sound: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, French (EU) DTS Surround 5.1, English Dolby Digital 2.0/2.0 DTS Express

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 64 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted May 24 2011 - 01:39 AM

Vi Vant Za Blu-Ray Lebowski!!!

I was just going to create a "Where Is" thread and like magic here it is!!  Hopefully they have finally fixed the transfer issues that have plagued that last few re-releases of this title, but being that it's Universal, call me skeptical!  I still have the original DVD from '99 which was either the first or 2nd DVD in my collection at that point.  I could never justify upgrading it with the subsequent DVD releases.

Hopefully the extras are better than they sound, but nothing aside from the Bridges photos seem all that appealing.

#3 of 64 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,583 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted May 24 2011 - 01:48 AM

I have the HD DVD, so I'll await a review to see if it is really worth the double-dip.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#4 of 64 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,323 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 24 2011 - 01:54 AM

According to The Digital Bits

...it's apparently been newly-remastered in HD, so the quality should be terrific - better than the previous DVD and HD-DVD versions.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

#5 of 64 OFFLINE   Eerik

Eerik

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted May 24 2011 - 02:01 AM

...it's apparently been newly-remastered in HD, so the quality should be terrific - better than the previous DVD and HD-DVD versions.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

That's what the press release above says... :rolleyes:

#6 of 64 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,240 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted May 24 2011 - 03:06 AM

U-control again.

facebook.com/whotony

#7 of 64 OFFLINE   Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 458 posts

Posted May 24 2011 - 03:16 AM

I will hold out hope for this one, but Universal has made claims like this before that still resulted in an over-DNRed mess.

Originally Posted by TravisR 

Quote:

http://www.thedigita...com/#mytwocents

#8 of 64 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,757 posts

Posted May 24 2011 - 11:01 AM

“the number-one cult film of all time,”

I wonder how one goes about measuring that...

Day one purchase for me. C'mon Universal, do this one justice! This isn't 'Nam...there are RULES!

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#9 of 64 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,066 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted May 24 2011 - 06:11 PM

#1 cult film of all time...bollocks.  I think Richard O'Brien might have something to say about that.

#10 of 64 OFFLINE   Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter

• 1,275 posts

Posted May 24 2011 - 09:42 PM

I have the HD DVD and I expect the Blu-ray version to be better but I have better things to do with my money than replace a 1080p version of a film with an improved 1080p version.  There must be thousands of movies I want that I don't own in any version for starters.  It surprises me to see so many interested in doing this.  The book and new extras don't interest me, I always choose to watch another movie rather than spend time with that stuff.

Originally Posted by PaulDA 

I have the HD DVD, so I'll await a review to see if it is really worth the double-dip.

#11 of 64 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,579 posts

Posted May 24 2011 - 11:48 PM

Now available for preorder

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#12 of 64 OFFLINE   Brisby

Brisby

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted May 25 2011 - 02:42 AM

I guess I'll have to wait a year until the stupid "book" version is discontinued and I can just get the movie itself in a regular Blu-Ray case. Posted Image

#13 of 64 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,583 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted May 25 2011 - 02:51 AM

There are some films for which I consider the extras important. There are many others for which I consider them irrelevant. When I said I would await a review, it was primarily about the extras (otherwise, I'll stick the the HD DVD, thank you very much).

Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard 

I have the HD DVD and I expect the Blu-ray version to be better but I have better things to do with my money than replace a 1080p version of a film with an improved 1080p version.  There must be thousands of movies I want that I don't own in any version for starters.  It surprises me to see so many interested in doing this.  The book and new extras don't interest me, I always choose to watch another movie rather than spend time with that stuff.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#14 of 64 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,392 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted May 25 2011 - 05:09 AM

This is one my favorites that I somehow never got around to buying on DVD. Definite purchase for me.

#15 of 64 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,299 posts

Posted May 26 2011 - 03:53 AM

I can only hope that a new transfer is involved. The HD-DVD is pretty nasty. I can also do without all of the "interactive" extras. For a film like Lebowski, give me some meaty docs, interviews, and retrospectives any day of the week. If this release is just a spiffy repackaging of the existing HD video it would be VERY un-Dude, and a definite pass for me.

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#16 of 64 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted May 26 2011 - 05:41 AM

Finally this is getting a 'proper' release. At least, I hope so. With Universal you never know.

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#17 of 64 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,039 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted May 26 2011 - 07:29 AM

If it is a proper remaster and a correct one, I'll pick it up on a sale to stick in the bowling ball edition that DVD got :P

#18 of 64 OFFLINE   Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner

Supporting Actor

• 790 posts

Posted August 13 2011 - 06:41 PM

It's not a proper remaster. It's the old outdated transfer scrubbed free of grain, sharpened and regraded. It looks waxy, undetailed and not like film. Poor show. Compare that to the new BDs of "Raising Arizona" and "Miller's Crossing" and you see what you are missing.

#19 of 64 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,299 posts

Posted August 14 2011 - 04:47 AM

That's really discouraging news Michel! Have you actually seen the Blu-ray or does your information come from other sources?

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#20 of 64 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,712 posts

Posted August 14 2011 - 05:03 AM

It states right in the press release that it is has been newly remastered, so where does the information come from that it is the same old outdated transfer?
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

Forum Nav Content I Follow